Page 1 of 1

Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:36 pm
by Monday
.

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:12 pm
by dm1683
Monday wrote:in partnership with LSAC to "level the playing field."

Salman Khan Is Bringing Free LSAT Prep to the Masses
Khan Academy


Salman Khan is a great teacher and an all around nice guy from what I'be heard. Saved me many a tear in Algebra II. Glad to hear this.

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:07 pm
by Monday
.

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:11 pm
by Cooley at Sticker
Monday wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Monday wrote:in partnership with LSAC to "level the playing field."

Salman Khan Is Bringing Free LSAT Prep to the Masses
Khan Academy


Salman Khan is a great teacher and an all around nice guy from what I'be heard. Saved me many a tear in Algebra II. Glad to hear this.

I've never used Khan Academy so I don't know how good it is although I've heard great things. I'm just happy that LSAC is getting involved with full recognition that LSAT isn't on level playing field. There's a reason (good reason too) YLS asks if any commercial LSAT prep and other admissions consulting were used.

Can you elaborate? How is it not a level playing field?

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:22 pm
by Anon.y.mousse.
Cooley at Sticker wrote:
Monday wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Monday wrote:in partnership with LSAC to "level the playing field."

Salman Khan Is Bringing Free LSAT Prep to the Masses
Khan Academy


Salman Khan is a great teacher and an all around nice guy from what I'be heard. Saved me many a tear in Algebra II. Glad to hear this.

I've never used Khan Academy so I don't know how good it is although I've heard great things. I'm just happy that LSAC is getting involved with full recognition that LSAT isn't on level playing field. There's a reason (good reason too) YLS asks if any commercial LSAT prep and other admissions consulting were used.

Can you elaborate? How is it not a level playing field?


Do you really need that spelled out for you?

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:25 pm
by BobBoblaw
Cooley at Sticker wrote:Can you elaborate? How is it not a level playing field?



Rich kids who can shell out thousands of dollars for prep courses, and study full time instead of working/taking care of children, etc. have an obvious advantage.

Rich kids can also sit out a year and follow the 'retake' mantra. This is much harder for poor folks.

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:41 pm
by 180pedia
No matter what, it's not going to resolve the disparity when it comes to the larger financial and time constraints. Sure, it may save money over a 7Sage, Blueprint, or Testmasters course, but it won't do much to address the core issues as to why the test isn't necessarily fair regarding economic circumstances. Then again, no test (nor school for that matter) is fair under these criteria other than maybe the STEP exams (it is my understanding that virtually no one has a side gig during med school), and the only way around this would be for LSs to reduce the weight placed on the LSAT.

It'll be interesting to see how Khan Academy approaches it. IMO, the usefulness will largely depend on how much of the LSAT content LSAC allows Khan Academy to use. If it's only one or two or three practice materials worth of stuff, I don't really see how it will help all that much, as the core of LSAT material is fairly small.

They have a good platform, and I'm interested to see how its leveraged.

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:04 am
by heythatslife
If LSAC really wants to level the playing field, they should make PDFs of past PTs available online for free.

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:14 am
by laqueredup
Khan knocked the rust of my Calculus before my MS. Will be a loyal donor as long as they are still doing stuff like this!

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:37 am
by 180pedia
heythatslife wrote:If LSAC really wants to level the playing field, they should make PDFs of past PTs available online for free.


I tend to agree. I think that will be the biggest thing possibly holding Khan Academy back. Based on how the material seems to work, I imagine the test prep companies could substantially lower their costs to students. I'm not saying they necessarily would, but they certainly could as the licensing fees aren't cheap when you consider the amount of material many top scorers burn through.

laqueredup wrote:Khan knocked the rust of my Calculus before my MS. Will be a loyal donor as long as they are still doing stuff like this!


It is pretty nice! I've been redoing a lot of math/science refreshers on it. It's been nice to do it that way.

As a semi-self promo which I feel more okay about since it's a related idea, I'd great appreciate any thoughts on items I can add to my site (180pedia.com) to make it more useful from anyone so inclined on this website. Currently, it's more or less a well organized directory of explanations from five different providers. I'm currently working on some abstract recurring LG inferences (and two minor bugs).

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 am
by Monday
.

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 am
by tanes25
180pedia wrote:[As a semi-self promo which I feel more okay about since it's a related idea, I'd great appreciate any thoughts on items I can add to my site (180pedia.com) to make it more useful from anyone so inclined on this website. Currently, it's more or less a well organized directory of explanations from five different providers. I'm currently working on some abstract recurring LG inferences (and two minor bugs).


I see where you're going with the LG inferences and that would be huge! Do you see any repetition for RC structure? I think there are repetitions with RC just like with LG. I don't think that there's necessarily a template used when writing the passages. I know that some have been taken from different publications but it seems like there has to be some repetition when it comes to the structure of passages. More than just stuff like MP or author's tone. A recent RC passage I read was PT 2, section 1, passage 3. The passage starts out talking about 3 responses but the passage really just discusses one. The first paragraph defines all three even though we don't really need the definitions of all three. I don't recall the questions but it would take no time to scan over the first paragraph if asked about the other two. In the beginning we don't know that we don't really need to be worried with these definitions. Are there patterns of this? Something like when xxx then we should xxx? Something along those lines. I could be wrong and I haven't taken the time to see so there's that. Just wondering. I could be totally out of my mind for thinking such. I guess there would be blogs or books or something on this if it were the case. Just wondering.

Re: Khan Academy to Offer Free LSAT Prep

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:44 pm
by 180pedia
deleted - figured best to switch to PM and keep this on topic.