practicing logic games Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
orzo

New

practicing logic games

Post by orzo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Forgive me, if this has been rehashed, but I don't go on here much.. I am wondering how to manage practicing with logic games. I purchased all the logic games a long time ago, and I have them grouped by type in/out etc. according to 7sage. If i am having trouble with how do I manage to keep repeating games that i have trouble with while going through all of them. There are quite a few games and I am wondering how many times should I repeat each one I have trouble with. I don't know how to manage all of them. granted, i am only doing the ones that 7sage has by group in the section bank of the website.. any tips?

180pedia

New

Re: practicing logic games

Post by 180pedia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:22 pm

If going for -0, repeat a game as much as necessary until you get it in -0 at under or near their recommended time. Personally, I did some games way faster, and others way slower. The ~5 minute games, if first sequencing, usually take me 2-3 minutes and some grouping ones take far less or longer depending if I catch the main inference. For games, I'd try the following early on in your studying...

#1) Do the game as if you were taking a test... go for accuracy but be mindful of time. If a question takes too long, skip it and note your time... see if you can work through it.
#2) Repeat the game untimed and try to force out as much knowledge as you can out of it (look for answers that just don't work *logically* - not because you tested them - and try to notice repeat questions or questions that hinge on the same inference... I'm mainly recommending this, because I think it is this approach that helps a lot on weird games)
#3) Watch 7Sage and see what you missed.

Ultimately, there is immense benefit to repeating games. There are only so many ways to word a sequencing game, and, after doing enough of them, you may think you've done a game before because it is so similar.

So, use 7Sage. It's awesome. I'm working on my own games explanations (have to repost due to a recent rebuild) where I try to focus on mentioning when I perceive a question to be remarkably similar to a previous one, a recurring inference has occurred that is common on games, or answers can be eliminated because they logically just don't make sense (i.e. forces another answer to be true or is logically equivalent to another answer a good example of this is PT 13 Game 4 Q#22 https://180pedia.com/every-lsat-practic ... -1-game-4/ I'm 99% sure what I wrote there is true)... 7Sage does a great job, but I think they have, occasionally, missed some big inferences... I can't speak to the videos that are part of the course where maybe they cover some of the stuff I try to touch on.

To make myself take care of it, I'll post my solutions to 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 52 in the next 48 hours rather than waiting on resolving a minor server bug. A few of them are up already at 180pedia.com

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:39 pm

I'd say repeat games until you have nothing else to learn from them. Make sure your diagramming and inferences are good and it should be a breeze, I find the logic games to be the easiest section that someone can go -0 on. Speed should come with practice, and I find the time to be the biggest obstacle on LG, especially if your diagramming isn't the best.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 pm

I think it really comes down to why some games are giving you a harder time than others. I usually do a section of games, and if I miss more than 2 questions per game, I put it aside to do again. Similarly, if I get all the questions correct, but still blow it on time, I put it aside to do again. Focus your energy on redoing games where you miss a big inference. While it's ideal to review all games until you can do them quickly and with 100% accuracy, if you're on a short time study schedule, you won't have time to get through them all.

After setting aside the games you miss, take a week or two before doing them again. I don't see the value in immediately re-doing games you missed. Maybe you'll even find that after taking a couple of weeks off and doing some similar game types in the interim, when you come back to the games you struggled with the inferences start becoming more obvious and the answers become easier. After a while, you should be able to identify things such as logically similar answer choices where variables are interchangeable. Once you get to that point, it's just a matter of practice until timing is no longer an issue.

With that said, if you're still missing questions because you incorrectly diagrammed a conditional rule, for example, then back off timed-sections and focus on proper diagramming.

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”