Is LSAT Atrophy a real thing?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
onlyhere4fun

New

Is LSAT Atrophy a real thing?

Postby onlyhere4fun » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:59 am

After studying hard for ~4 months (I took a blueprint course and did nothing else but study at the time because I didn't have a job), I stopped studying seriously a month before the test (burned out) and underperformed on the official exam (mid 160s on past 4-5 PTS and mid 150s on official). I'm trying to figure out if that break might have made me revert back to my bad methods or lose my lsat mojo on the official test. Figuring out if this possibly played a role in my lackluster performance could probably help a lot when I retake. I might have to make adjustments to my study plan to pace myself so that I can have enough energy to keep taking practice tests throughout 2-3 months and up to 2-3days before the exam in order to maximize my performance. Any insight on this matter would be appreciated!

Gold

Re: Is LSAT Atrophy a real thing?

Postby 20170322 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:01 pm

onlyhere4fun wrote:After studying hard for ~4 months, I stopped studying seriously a month before the test (burned out) and underperformed on the official exam (mid 160s on past 4-5 PTS and mid 150s on official). I'm trying to figure out if that break might have made me revert back to my bad methods or lose my lsat mojo on the official test. Figuring out if this possibly played a role in my lackluster performance could probably help a lot when I retake. I might have to make adjustments to my study plan to pace myself so that I can have enough energy to keep taking practice tests throughout 2-3 months and up to 2-3days before the exam in order to maximize my performance. Any insight on this matter would be appreciated!

You'll never know what made you underperform, but here's my advice.

Do a mini-LSAT per day leading up to the test. 2 LG, 2 RC, 15 LR Q's. It'll keep you sharp and avoid burnout.

onlyhere4fun

New

Postby onlyhere4fun » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:13 pm

SweetTort wrote:
onlyhere4fun wrote:After studying hard for ~4 months, I stopped studying seriously a month before the test (burned out) and underperformed on the official exam (mid 160s on past 4-5 PTS and mid 150s on official). I'm trying to figure out if that break might have made me revert back to my bad methods or lose my lsat mojo on the official test. Figuring out if this possibly played a role in my lackluster performance could probably help a lot when I retake. I might have to make adjustments to my study plan to pace myself so that I can have enough energy to keep taking practice tests throughout 2-3 months and up to 2-3days before the exam in order to maximize my performance. Any insight on this matter would be appreciated!

You'll never know what made you underperform, but here's my advice.

Do a mini-LSAT per day leading up to the test. 2 LG, 2 RC, 15 LR Q's. It'll keep you sharp and avoid burnout.

Ahh yeah I can see this being pretty effective. Thanks for the tip!

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Yes it's a learned skill and like all skills degrades with time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�