Any educators out there??

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
teacher2lawyer

New

Any educators out there??

Postby teacher2lawyer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:35 pm

I come here disheartened and discouraged because law school might be the only path in helping my community out. You see, I live in a very impoverished area where access to typical resources are scarce. If anyone is familiar with the status of Indian Reservations on this website you will understand. We have nothing here and as a teacher, we scrounge up resources and subsidize our classrooms from nothing. Parent support isn't there. The kids have nothing. In short, I love my students but I am wiped out at the end of the day. Some days, I can barely move. I am so exhausted by nothing working, resources not there...we are in crisis mode most days.
I know that we need people in our community to pursue careers in the law or the like in order to help bring much needed change and policy reform to our town. I have to travel about an hour on the weekends just one-way in order to get groceries and other necessities. This is normal. However, in trying to prepare for the LSAT, I have come up short.
On my practice tests, when I am untimed, my accuracy is 90%ish. Not bad. However, factor in timing, my accuracy plummets. Absolutely plummets.
There is a huge disconnect here. I fear that if I am not able to prove myself quantitatively, my dreams of helping my community will come to a screeching halt.
I already have a Master's degree in Education and I have been out of college (undergrad, that is) for 7 years. However, as hard as I have worked, I don't think law schools will give me a chance if they think I will be a risk. This is frustrating because I do not lack the mental fortitude or self-discipline to succeed, but I am FRUSTRATED and exhausted and don't have a ton to work with.
Is there ANYONE out there that might share a similar experience? Looking for a listening ear in the virtual world...

LawTweet

Bronze

Re: Any educators out there??

Postby LawTweet » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 pm

How long have you been studying for? If you can get 90% (approx 170) untimed, you have great potential.

teacher2lawyer

New

Postby teacher2lawyer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:53 pm

LawTweet wrote:How long have you been studying for? If you can get 90% (approx 170) untimed, you have great potential.

Thank you for the response, LawTweet. Technically, I have been studying since September 2016 but I did not really buckle down until December because I had WAY too much going on. I absolutely suffer from some kind of test anxiety. I shake, I panic, my mind goes blank and I have no idea what I'm doing. Yes, probably exaggerated and overly dramatic but it's there.
I hope you are correct in that I have potential....90-ish% accuracy to like 50% accuracy (timed, yes...) is just SUCH a big difference....

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Where are your weak areas? If it's logic games, the good news is that that's the easiest (and actually sort of fun..) section to improve. Logical reasoning is also doable, but personally, reading comprehension is the hardest to work on. You may be studying incorrectly as well--what materials are you using? How are you studying? Don't give up yet! I'll PM you for more.

Also, it's a good sign that you're doing well untimed, it means you just need more practice before you're able to do that well timed. For example, if you practice a logic game 10 times, you'll eventually go from doing it in 10 minutes to 6 minutes. (just an example, not for all logic games, but you get my point)

teacher2lawyer

New

Postby teacher2lawyer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:17 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:Where are your weak areas? If it's logic games, the good news is that that's the easiest (and actually sort of fun..) section to improve. Logical reasoning is also doable, but personally, reading comprehension is the hardest to work on. You may be studying incorrectly as well--what materials are you using? How are you studying? Don't give up yet! I'll PM you for more.

Also, it's a good sign that you're doing well untimed, it means you just need more practice before you're able to do that well timed. For example, if you practice a logic game 10 times, you'll eventually go from doing it in 10 minutes to 6 minutes. (just an example, not for all logic games, but you get my point)

Thank you. I have been using Kaplan. If you have any recommendations, please send them to me. I have heard mixed reviews about Kaplan, so I cannot say they are necessarily "bad" but I haven't found a ton of success after completing a course. I have the basic foundational skills down, but you are correct: logic games are my weakest area and a source of frustration for me (e.g., "I just did a matching game so why isn't this sketch working for this one?!...arghh!).

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:20 pm

teacher2lawyer wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:Where are your weak areas? If it's logic games, the good news is that that's the easiest (and actually sort of fun..) section to improve. Logical reasoning is also doable, but personally, reading comprehension is the hardest to work on. You may be studying incorrectly as well--what materials are you using? How are you studying? Don't give up yet! I'll PM you for more.

Thank you. I have been using Kaplan. If you have any recommendations, please send them to me. I have heard mixed reviews about Kaplan, so I cannot say they are necessarily "bad" but I haven't found a ton of success after completing a course. I have the basic foundational skills down, but you are correct: logic games are my weakest area and a source of frustration for me (e.g., "I just did a matching game so why isn't this sketch working for this one?!...arghh!).

Kaplan might help just in the foundational stuff, but that's about it. You should go get the LSAT Trainer and study using their schedule online. That's really all I know about, but tls will give you other great recommendations.

Also, for logic games, look up each game you complete for their online 7sage explanation. Adapting my logic games techniques (to the level that felt intuitive to me) to 7sage really helped me out.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�