Logic Games help

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hinton2014

New

Logic Games help

Postby hinton2014 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 pm

What would be the best way to approach the logic games? I've went through the bible, and I so well on LR and RC, just logic games hold me down. I struggle to see the different assumptions I must make. I can diagram decent, it's not identical to the PS recommendations, but I understand what I'm doing. Should I just start drilling with older PT's and eventually it'll click? Would hate to burn PT's by starting too early. Taking June LSAT, applying next cycle.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Logic Games help

Postby Mikey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Yeah, use earlier PTs for drilling (typically 1-38/40ish).

Watch 7sage videos on YouTube! You can learn how to do games just by watching explanations, there are people on here who have done that (myself included). 7sage typically does the whole ' solve all possibilities up front' thing, which I used to do, but I stopped and now I just make a diagram for each question where it is needed, and do the must be true/could be true questions last so that way once you already have some diagrams done and you can eliminate answer choices fast. I found that this way was more helpful than their way but their vids are beyond helpful and you should check them out.

hinton2014

New

Postby hinton2014 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Mikey wrote:Yeah, use earlier PTs for drilling (typically 1-38/40ish).

Watch 7sage videos on YouTube! You can learn how to do games just by watching explanations, there are people on here who have done that (myself included). 7sage typically does the whole ' solve all possibilities up front' thing, which I used to do, but I stopped and now I just make a diagram for each question where it is needed, and do the must be true/could be true questions last so that way once you already have some diagrams done and you can eliminate answer choices fast. I found that this way was more helpful than their way but their vids are beyond helpful and you should check them out.

Yeah, I've looked at them some before. Not a ton, but some. Would it be helpful to just use the whole test and drill the other sections as well while I'm at it? I know the older tests are pretty different, but would they still be valuable to PT with? I have a 5 hour flight coming up and would love to take a pre test during which, even though it certainly would not be the greatest conditions.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:17 pm

hinton2014 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Yeah, use earlier PTs for drilling (typically 1-38/40ish).

Yeah, I've looked at them some before. Not a ton, but some. Would it be helpful to just use the whole test and drill the other sections as well while I'm at it? I know the older tests are pretty different, but would they still be valuable to PT with? I have a 5 hour flight coming up and would love to take a pre test during which, even though it certainly would not be the greatest conditions.

Yeah, I don't see why not.

180pedia

New

Postby 180pedia » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:50 am

hinton2014 wrote:What would be the best way to approach the logic games? I've went through the bible, and I so well on LR and RC, just logic games hold me down. I struggle to see the different assumptions I must make. I can diagram decent, it's not identical to the PS recommendations, but I understand what I'm doing. Should I just start drilling with older PT's and eventually it'll click? Would hate to burn PT's by starting too early. Taking June LSAT, applying next cycle.

IMO, you shouldn't rely too much on diagramming exactly like one instructor or solution does, especially if you are going for -0. I think this mentality is what trips people up on newer games that don't lend themselves to diagramming well. Basically, I think you benefit from learning other methods and synthesizing them into something that works for you. IIRC, Mike Kim uses shapes more than a lot of other instructors do, and I think that is a solid tool for certain games. I think it also helps you focus on the underlying logic.

I think doing games by game type is immensely beneficial... ultimately, all sequencing games are more or less the same and rely on a handful of recurring inferences. IMO, the hardest straight sequencing game is the one with the two rules that have something like these two variables must be at least one or at least two spaces away. (Off the top of my head, I want to say F&R and O&S)... same goes for grouping.

Trickiest questions ever (IMO) is one question from the beads on a strand game.

I'd say get your hands on games from earlier PTs grouped by type. Take a type and focus on that type for a day or two. Do each game with the following process (this is what worked for me)...

1) Do a game as fast as you can with accuracy (treat it as if it were the test)... you can do more than one during this time to work on stamina
2) Redo the games for accuracy and depth... make sure you get the right answer and try to understand the underlying reasoning for why wrong choices are wrong... possibly in an abstract fashion if possible.
3) Watch the 7Sage video to see if you missed anything.

Try to take note of questions you miss. For me, I always missed min/max for a long time, because I rule drive more than I diagram and find that min/max are particularly susceptible to this type of approach. After noticing this, I always test 1 up and 1 down on min/maxes.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:58 pm

180pedia wrote:IMO, you shouldn't rely too much on diagramming exactly like one instructor or solution does, especially if you are going for -0. I think this mentality is what trips people up on newer games that don't lend themselves to diagramming well. Basically, I think you benefit from learning other methods and synthesizing them into something that works for you. IIRC, Mike Kim uses shapes more than a lot of other instructors do, and I think that is a solid tool for certain games. I think it also helps you focus on the underlying logic.

This. Everyone is different. Some people study better in groups, some people study better alone. Some people are visual learners, some people aren't. Same with LG. A diagramming method for one person doesn't work for another. The key is finding one that works for you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�