6-8 Section Tests; Burnout; Unique Ways to Study?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cantyoloforever

Bronze

Re: 6-8 Section Tests; Burnout; Unique Ways to Study?

Postby cantyoloforever » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:46 pm

34iplaw wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:What do you advise then?

Everyones different, and there are people that have been more successful than me on the LSAT here. I think you do need to see what sort of works for you. Then again, I didn't really have a totally set schedule. I'd basically sit down and do as much as I possibly could.

Roughly what is your section break down currently? (sorry if it's above, replying via mobile and didn't refresh myself on what's been said ITT)

No worries; I'm on a phone too, so I know it's cumbersome.

On the official test
-1 in games
-5 in RC
-3 in each section of LR

RC, I can go anywhere for missing 1 to 5.
LR, I can go from perfect to missing 4. I'm hopping that the manhattan book will change that, as I feel my understanding is much more clear.
Games are anywhere from 0 to 2.

I've been studying for 1 1/2 years, and have already touched all of the material. I have found that I don't remember problems when redoing them.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:25 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Everyones different, and there are people that have been more successful than me on the LSAT here. I think you do need to see what sort of works for you. Then again, I didn't really have a totally set schedule. I'd basically sit down and do as much as I possibly could.

Roughly what is your section break down currently? (sorry if it's above, replying via mobile and didn't refresh myself on what's been said ITT)

On the official test
-1 in games
-5 in RC
-3 in each section of LR

LR, I can go from perfect to missing 4. I'm hopping that the manhattan book will change that, as I feel my understanding is much more clear.

I've been studying for 1 1/2 years, and have already touched all of the material. I have found that I don't remember problems when redoing them.

Well, you should make sure to not go -1 on LG. See if that was a question type that commonly tripped you up. My approach to games is susceptible to min/max.

Do you miss certain types of RC questions with more frequency? (for me, I miss a lot of 'function of this in a passage' because I overthink them)

Do you miss certain types of LR questions with more frequency or is it just a smattering of the hard ones?

Unfortunately, at high 160s and low 170s you are approaching the point of diminishing returns on studying IMO (for most people)... so you really need to hone in on what you are struggling with.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:52 pm

34iplaw wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

On the official test
-1 in games
-5 in RC
-3 in each section of LR

Well, you should make sure to not go -1 on LG. See if that was a question type that commonly tripped you up. My approach to games is susceptible to min/max.

Do you miss certain types of RC questions with more frequency? (for me, I miss a lot of 'function of this in a passage' because I overthink them)

Do you miss certain types of LR questions with more frequency or is it just a smattering of the hard ones?

Unfortunately, at high 160s and low 170s you are approaching the point of diminishing returns on studying IMO (for most people)... so you really need to hone in on what you are struggling with.

I am fully capable of going -0 on games. When I do miss questions, it's because of dumb errors from working too fast (like circling the wrong answer or misreading a choice).

For LR, I miss the hardest problems. So, for my second take, I did the hardest LR problems of every section, and saw zero improvement. However, I think going through the Manhattan book and using their forums for this take will help me improve in that area.

RC is a different beast. I can feel like I completely understand a passage and still get questions wrong. A lot of the times, it''s the abstract questions (what would be an analogous title, what two words express how the author feels about this, etc.) and certain inference questions that I get wrong. But I have been doing well with my review this time, as I now treat most RC questions like "must be true" LR questions. With that said, my goal is to get every LR and AR question right so I can have room for error with RC, as I have yet to come across a meaningful way of gaining points in this area.

As for diminishing returns, I would not be taking this test again if I hadn't been wait-listed at six t14 schools. I got into two t14 schools so far, but I doubt I will receive much aid, if any. So my plan is to put a deposit down at a t20 school and take the June test. If it goes well, great. But if not, then at least I'll still be going to school in the fall.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:11 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:I am fully capable of going -0 on games. When I do miss questions, it's because of dumb errors from working too fast (like circling the wrong answer or misreading a choice).

For LR, I miss the hardest problems. So, for my second take, I did the hardest LR problems of every section, and saw zero improvement. However, I think going through the Manhattan book and using their forums for this take will help me improve in that area.

RC is a different beast. I can feel like I completely understand a passage and still get questions wrong. A lot of the times, it''s the abstract questions (what would be an analogous title, what two words express how the author feels about this, etc.) and certain inference questions that I get wrong. But I have been doing well with my review this time, as I now treat most RC questions like "must be true" LR questions. With that said, my goal is to get every LR and AR question right so I can have room for error with RC, as I have yet to come across a meaningful way of gaining points in this area.

As for diminishing returns, I would not be taking this test again if I hadn't been wait-listed at six t14 schools. I got into two t14 schools so far, but I doubt I will receive much aid, if any. So my plan is to put a deposit down at a t20 school and take the June test. If it goes well, great. But if not, then at least I'll still be going to school in the fall.

On LG, totally understood and fair. I had this issue, and this messed me up on min/max (those would be more from going too fast and not bothering to check the answer... often on min/max there is one rule that plays with others to prohibit the more 'obvious' answer... I use obvious answer loosely, because it's incorrect)

On RC, I went from -6 on my first take to -2 on my second take, and one mistake on my second take was beyond ridiculous. I was averaging -0/-1 over several tests and sections leading up to my second take. You can improve here. It's about finding what you do differently on those -1 sections... there is going to be some difference even if not huge. For me, the difference was making sure that I went back to the text for every question in the section and reading the section faster. My problem originally is that I would try to absorb and retain (which I'm pretty good at) but fell for the traps they laid for people going too fast to check the text.

On LR, my only question would be whether you are rushed on the last few questions. If so, you may benefit from trying to institute a method where if you don't get it on your initial read through or two that you mark your best answer and come back, time permitting. I find this strategy helped me a lot, but that was more to break from mid 160s to high 160s/low 170s.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:17 pm

34iplaw wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:I am fully capable of going -0 on games. When I do miss questions, it's because of dumb errors from working too fast (like circling the wrong answer or misreading a choice).

On LG, totally understood and fair. I had this issue, and this messed me up on min/max (those would be more from going too fast and not bothering to check the answer... often on min/max there is one rule that plays with others to prohibit the more 'obvious' answer... I use obvious answer loosely, because it's incorrect)

On RC, I went from -6 on my first take to -2 on my second take, and one mistake on my second take was beyond ridiculous. I was averaging -0/-1 over several tests and sections leading up to my second take. You can improve here. It's about finding what you do differently on those -1 sections... there is going to be some difference even if not huge. For me, the difference was making sure that I went back to the text for every question in the section and reading the section faster. My problem originally is that I would try to absorb and retain (which I'm pretty good at) but fell for the traps they laid for people going too fast to check the text.

On LR, my only question would be whether you are rushed on the last few questions. If so, you may benefit from trying to institute a method where if you don't get it on your initial read through or two that you mark your best answer and come back, time permitting. I find this strategy helped me a lot, but that was more to break from mid 160s to high 160s/low 170s.

I feel very good about lr after reading the manhattan book. I'm tempted to pick up a copy of the lsat trainer as well as bleprint's rc book for additional materials...

Timing has never been an issue with me (knocks on wood lol).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�