Getting the same questions wrong...

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
somedeadman

Bronze

Getting the same questions wrong...

Postby somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Context - have taken the test twice (169, 168), and have been studying since June of 2015 (took a month off in December 2015, a month off after the June 2016 test, and then 3 months off after the September 2016 test).

At this point, I am doing test retakes to study, along with BRs. My scores are pretty inflated (177-180 consistently), but I typically do not remember the questions and their answers (test the reasoning), so I like to think this isn't a completely inaccurate indicator of my ability.

Something I am noticing is that with the hardest LR questions that have always given me trouble, I am still getting those questions wrong. When I go over them, I can see why the right answer is right, but not necessarily why the answer I picked is wrong. To study for this last take, I have been trying very hard to focus on why answers are wrong. But, I'm still having trouble with these questions. Is there anything I can do to break through to the other side? I feel like doing 6-8 section practice test retakes and BRs (along with drilling individual sections) may still give me the 168-172 result I am used to getting on fresh tests. However, I can't think of any other way to study.

airwrecka

Silver

Re: Getting the same questions wrong...

Postby airwrecka » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:27 pm

I think you're focusing on the right approach (why are the wrong answers wrong?). Have you looked at outside explanations for why the answers are incorrect, or are you trying to figure them out on your own? I used the Manhattan Prep forums for all my LR review. If I still didn't quite get it, I'd try to bounce the answers off of other people. Sorry this isn't really helpful advice. All I can think, though, is to ask other people who DO get the question to explain it to you and maybe they'll be able to say it in a different way so it makes sense to you :)

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:53 pm

airwrecka wrote:I think you're focusing on the right approach (why are the wrong answers wrong?). Have you looked at outside explanations for why the answers are incorrect, or are you trying to figure them out on your own? I used the Manhattan Prep forums for all my LR review. If I still didn't quite get it, I'd try to bounce the answers off of other people. Sorry this isn't really helpful advice. All I can think, though, is to ask other people who DO get the question to explain it to you and maybe they'll be able to say it in a different way so it makes sense to you :)

Other than going to LSAT Hacks as a last resort, I have been trying to figure it out on my own. I did have a Princeton Review tutor for a few hours who did not provide much help. I'll definitely join the Manhattan forums.

Edit - holy mother of God, I feel like I just won the lottery. Thank you for sharing this with me!

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:30 pm

somedeadman wrote:
airwrecka wrote:I think you're focusing on the right approach (why are the wrong answers wrong?). Have you looked at outside explanations for why the answers are incorrect, or are you trying to figure them out on your own? I used the Manhattan Prep forums for all my LR review. If I still didn't quite get it, I'd try to bounce the answers off of other people. Sorry this isn't really helpful advice. All I can think, though, is to ask other people who DO get the question to explain it to you and maybe they'll be able to say it in a different way so it makes sense to you :)

Other than going to LSAT Hacks as a last resort, I have been trying to figure it out on my own. I did have a Princeton Review tutor for a few hours who did not provide much help. I'll definitely join the Manhattan forums.

Edit - holy mother of God, I feel like I just won the lottery. Thank you for sharing this with me!

yes!! of course :) I was super excited when I found the forums myself!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�