Reading comprehension Help!

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
pitter

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:18 am

Reading comprehension Help!

Postby pitter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:28 am

I got a score of 168 last year. I thought that I could do better for I was receiving a score of 172-174 on prep tests so I am planning to wait another cycle to apply after getting a higher grade ( possibly 170+). I get -0~-3 in logical reasonings and -0~-1 in logic games. But I am still struggling in the reading comprehension section and still get ~3 to ~5 ( occasionally -6 )on each section( after 3 month of prep works)

I try to read for 'the "broad picture" of the structure of passage as many high scorers recommend. Even after I think that I have grasped the nitty gritty of the passage and thus confident for my answers, I still get main idea, inferences (MSS), purpose questions wrong. I have always thought of myself as a strong reader for I got high scores in reading sections of other standardized tests so I am guessing that lsat rc requires somewhat different skill when reading. High scorers of TLS, do you have any recommendations for rc? Thanx :D

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby Alexandros » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Repeated drilling, as you would for logic games, worked for me.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby Mikey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Alexandros wrote:Repeated drilling, as you would for logic games, worked for me.

When you say repeated drilling, do you mean the same passages in addition to just overall drilling RC?

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby Alexandros » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Repeated drilling, as you would for logic games, worked for me.

When you say repeated drilling, do you mean the same passages in addition to just overall drilling RC?

Repeat passages, but not just doing the same one over and over again.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby Mikey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Repeated drilling, as you would for logic games, worked for me.

When you say repeated drilling, do you mean the same passages in addition to just overall drilling RC?

Repeat passages, but not just doing the same one over and over again.

Oh ok, was just wondering.

thanks sweet cheeks

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby Alexandros » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Repeated drilling, as you would for logic games, worked for me.

When you say repeated drilling, do you mean the same passages in addition to just overall drilling RC?

Repeat passages, but not just doing the same one over and over again.

Oh ok, was just wondering.

thanks sweet cheeks

No problem honey bun

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby Mikey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:36 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Repeated drilling, as you would for logic games, worked for me.

When you say repeated drilling, do you mean the same passages in addition to just overall drilling RC?

Repeat passages, but not just doing the same one over and over again.

Oh ok, was just wondering.

thanks sweet cheeks

No problem honey bun

dont got honey today, just the bun. honey is extra if you'd like that

pitter

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:18 am

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby pitter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:30 am

Alexandros wrote:Repeated drilling, as you would for logic games, worked for me.

Thnx :) when you say drilling, do you mean solving all the reading passages from 1-80? Also, after you are done with each set, what do you think is an ideal and effective way of reviewing ?
I usually have two contenders and the ones that I chose tend to be the wrong answers. I usually focused on reading the forums on the mahattan prep rather than thinking about my own explanations on the relevancy/irrelevancy of the right/wrong answers..

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby Alexandros » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:58 am

pitter wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Repeated drilling, as you would for logic games, worked for me.

Thnx :) when you say drilling, do you mean solving all the reading passages from 1-80? Also, after you are done with each set, what do you think is an ideal and effective way of reviewing ?
I usually have two contenders and the ones that I chose tend to be the wrong answers. I usually focused on reading the forums on the mahattan prep rather than thinking about my own explanations on the relevancy/irrelevancy of the right/wrong answers..

I used the Cambridge packs and early PTs and drilled them timed over and over again (probably saw every passage from 1-38 at least 3 or 4 times by test day). I'd obviously advise against drilling from any PTs you haven't seen and are keeping aside for a full, timed test.
For review, I just marked, looked at what I got wrong/wasn't sure about, and tried to figure out why the correct answer was correct and the incorrect was incorrect.

One thing for which answer is correct - There are definitely weird, 'interpretive' questions for which this doesn't apply, but for most questions the right answer is something that can be directly verified with the passage. Iirc a lot of the more recent ones have a focus on small details mentioned in the passage. I think some people might struggle with RC because they think they have to interpret things / read 'deeper' than they have to.

ptittle

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby ptittle » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Reading is the flip side of writing, so when I go over wrong Main point RCs with my tutees, I ask them to describe what the passage would have looked like if their choice had been correct, how would they have written a passage with THAT main point. Usually half way through their description, they realize they're not describing the passage in front of them.

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Here to get advice on this, too. RC seems to the the trickiest section for me, I feel like its slightly more vague than the rest of the LSAT. I miss anywhere from 6-8 on this section, but I haven't really put any real focus on improving yet, hoping to get some good ideas here.

ptittle

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Re: Reading comprehension Help!

Postby ptittle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:47 am

A while ago, I posted a three-part series at Ms. JD. Might be helpful!

http://ms-jd.org/blog/article/the-lsat- ... ges-part-1



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests