Feb 2017 Waiter's Thread!!! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

New poll! How'd we do people??

>177
6%
175-176
No votes
173-174
11%
171-172
29%
169-170
6%
167-168
6%
165-166
3%
163-164
11%
161-162
6%
<160
23%

Total votes: 35

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Re: Feb 2017 Waiter's Thread!!!

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:35 am

I can't wait for it to be the weekend to lay around and binge watch People v. OJ. Started it last weekend on a whim after the LSAT but didn't have too much time to watch it unfortunately.

p.s. we're only likely 3 weeks away from scores small victories yay

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:46 am

Have you watched OJ Made in America yet? It's pretty dang great!

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:50 am

AJordan wrote:Have you watched OJ Made in America yet? It's pretty dang great!
No that's up next because I've heard from some people that Made in America is superior to People v. OJ. As ubiquitous as it is in pop culture I actually know next to nothing about the OJ case so I'm willing to watch anything I can about it. Same with JonBenet documentaries.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
No that's up next because I've heard from some people that Made in America is superior to People v. OJ. As ubiquitous as it is in pop culture I actually know next to nothing about the OJ case so I'm willing to watch anything I can about it. Same with JonBenet documentaries.
I know almost nothing about the OJ case either! I should really watch one of these (or both)...

Also, I haven't seen Stranger Things yet :shock: That's probably next after we finish West Wing. But now that I think of it...my husband and I both stayed home from work today (for mental health ;)) so we could really do some Netflix binging if we wanted to...

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:28 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
I know almost nothing about the OJ case either! I should really watch one of these (or both)...

Also, I haven't seen Stranger Things yet :shock: That's probably next after we finish West Wing. But now that I think of it...my husband and I both stayed home from work today (for mental health ;)) so we could really do some Netflix binging if we wanted to...
I wanted to take a mental health day so badly this morning after snoozing my alarm like 4 times. I managed to drag myself out of bed but oh my goodness I hated every second of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Post by Neil_Gorsuch » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Last edited by Neil_Gorsuch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaronbursar

New

Post by aaronbursar » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Neil_Gorsuch wrote:If you're all interested in the O.J. Simpson case, I'd recommend seeing Lost Highway by David Lynch - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Highway_(film) - a surreal movie that explores the psychological implications of O.J.'s murder and actually predicted O.J.'s alternate reality confessional, "If I Did It, ten years before it was written" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Did_It.
Popping in from 2 febs ago to say Lost Highway is one of the best films of the past few decades AND OJ: Made in America is one of the greatest documentaries, like, ever.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:14 pm

I need to watch more Lynch. I really like Mulholland Drive but Twin Peaks didn't do it for me. Maybe I'm too young for early 90s TV

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 pm

People vs OJ is great, just watching Vinny Barbarino, Ross Gellar, and Rod Tidwell go HAM is worth it alone. It's super well done.

Made in America is a much broader scope, though. It's far reaching and about America and celebrity through the vessel of OJ rather than a rehash of 1994-95. If you like documentaries at all it's a must watch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:14 pm

airwrecka wrote:Guys I definitely had a dream that scores were released last night. I cannot deal with this for the next three weeks!
CMac86 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:[
I missed that you were military CMac! I totally know what you mean about being excited to be in school without also working. I worked throughout most of undergrad, and it was rough. I think LS might be rough enough on its own :lol:
I'm military, but I have the best job in the military-I'm a musician. :-D
That's awesome! What instrument do you play? (are there multiple instruments that military musicians play?)
I'm a bass player-bass guitar is my primary instrument (have a certificate in bass guitar performance), but I also play double bass (my first three years of college was for jazz bass performance at a conservatory), synth/keyboard bass, and then bass drum/auxiliary percussion.

As far as what military musicians play, unless if Congress opts to cut us entirely, we have a full wind ensemble and rock band. So, there are the trumpets, trombones, euphonium/baritone, tuba, flute/piccolos, oboes (undermanned), bassoons, saxophones, clarinets, percussion (drumset+orchestral), vocalists guitar, piano, and bass. I typically play in the rock band, jazz combo, wind ensemble, and then in the ceremonial unit where we bash out marches. The trumpet players/buglers cover the funerals, but then each military band typically has a brass quintet, woodwind quintet/quartet, jazz combo, ceremonial band (marches), rock band (Top 40/Dance/Pop), and then the whole band comes together to form a wind ensemble/concert band. Sometimes we form smaller subgroups for one-off types of gigs, e.g., I have performed as part of a double bass and guitar duo for flag officer receptions, I've heard of flute/guitar duos going out, and then solo piano gigs.

Piano, guitar, vocal, and bass players double on ceremonial percussion. My current band is really small (just under 30 people), so I stay plenty busy. It is a great job, and if you can play...we're hiring certain instruments (piano/keyboards, vocalists, bass, and guitar specifically). That'd be a way to pay for grad school (Post 9/11 GI Bill). I tend to play 150-175 gigs per year plus whatever freelance work I can fit in. I've played everything from the smallest of one stop light/stop sign town's opera house (or park) in the Midwest through Times Square in NYC.

If you have any questions about military music, feel free to hit me up. I know there are at least a handful of other military musicians (whether active or veteran) on this board.

Based off of a few key statements I have made, I know that if ADCOM members are on these boards, I will be very easy to pick out.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:18 pm

OK, now I have so many new things to watch!! Yay for being a couch potato! :D :D (but really, I live in Minnesota and the weather is shit here until May, so what else am I going to do? :lol:)

Also, CMac-- thank you for that run down! I've always been super curious about military musicians, and now I have a little better understanding :) I play piano myself, but since moving away from home for college, I have barely played because I don't have a piano in my apartment :( My parents have two (both sets of grandparents donated their pianos to us lol) and they plan to give me one of them when I have the space for it, but unfortunately I really need a house for that to work. Playing is one of my biggest stress relievers, though, so I really wish I had the opportunity to play more!

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:34 pm

PSA - don't leave valuables in your cars! My car window was smashed at some point last night (even with the icky weather) and the glass guy's expert opinion is that someone broke in - showed me on the frame where they had used some sort of tool to pry at it. I'm lucky because I never leave anything in there, but I will be even MORE careful now. For some reason, they didn't want my yoga mat laying in the backseat...

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:52 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:PSA - don't leave valuables in your cars! My car window was smashed at some point last night (even with the icky weather) and the glass guy's expert opinion is that someone broke in - showed me on the frame where they had used some sort of tool to pry at it. I'm lucky because I never leave anything in there, but I will be even MORE careful now. For some reason, they didn't want my yoga mat laying in the backseat...
Oh no that's terrible! I'm glad nothing was stolen though!

Ugh, just got some weird news about work. I'm a legal assistant/office manager at a really small firm (2 attorneys + 1 semi-retired attorney), and we just found out today that our main attorney is leaving to take another job in a month. The only attorney left (other than the semi-retired one) is only a couple years out of LS and not super experienced, and now he's going to be taking on all our clients. I'm the only non-attorney in the office, so we're both about to get a LOT busier. Which is nice, on the one hand, but I also need to have time to go visit law schools this spring so I'm a little worried...

Thank GOD everyone knows I'm going to LS, though, so when I leave they won't be shocked or anything :shock:

On a totally different (and happier) note, I made chicken pot pie from scratch yesterday and I swear to god it's the most delicious thing I have ever cooked myself. HOT DAMN.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:31 pm

airwrecka wrote: I made chicken pot pie from scratch yesterday and I swear to god it's the most delicious thing I have ever cooked myself. HOT DAMN.
i loveeee chicken pot pie. I really need to learn to cook before law school.. don't think pasta is going to cut it

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:34 pm

maybeman wrote:
airwrecka wrote: I made chicken pot pie from scratch yesterday and I swear to god it's the most delicious thing I have ever cooked myself. HOT DAMN.
i loveeee chicken pot pie. I really need to learn to cook before law school.. don't think pasta is going to cut it
it was pretty time-intensive, but definitely worth it. the hardest part was the crust, actually, because I don't have a pastry cutter. but it would be amazing just as filling by itself! here is a link to the recipe, in case anyone else wants to try it :D

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:38 pm

airwrecka wrote:
maybeman wrote:
it was pretty time-intensive, but definitely worth it. the hardest part was the crust, actually, because I don't have a pastry cutter. but it would be amazing just as filling by itself! here is a link to the recipe, in case anyone else wants to try it :D
I wanna try it , I also love chicken pot pie.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:46 pm

airwrecka wrote:
maybeman wrote:
Thanks! I think I will. Surprisingly, I have access to a pastry cutter

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
maybeman wrote:
180 posts! Start drafting your guide !

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:52 pm

maybeman wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
maybeman wrote:
180 posts! Start drafting your guide !
....And in conclusion, the secret to a 180 is chicken pot pie.

plz LSAC a 180 would rock.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote: 180 posts! Start drafting your guide !

+1. We're all getting 180s don't even fret

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:11 pm

maybeman wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote: 180 posts! Start drafting your guide !

+1. We're all getting 180s don't even fret
If you're brave enough to take an undisclosed test that's how it works right? You get a 180 so you don't have to wonder which ones you got wrong?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Guys, we have officially made it 6 whole days. More like 7, since we're more than half way through today :lol:

I'm stress-/boredom-eating tootsie rolls at work until 5pm rolls around. Anyone have fun weekend plans?

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:58 pm

airwrecka wrote:Guys, we have officially made it 6 whole days. More like 7, since we're more than half way through today :lol:

I'm stress-/boredom-eating tootsie rolls at work until 5pm rolls around. Anyone have fun weekend plans?
:lol: :lol: I co-made a pot pie last night. It was delicious

Alternative fact: we're over half way to gray day!

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:32 pm

airwrecka wrote:Guys, we have officially made it 6 whole days. More like 7, since we're more than half way through today :lol:

I'm learning new songs for the rock band at work, and doing coursework. I'm in business law (undergrad survey course) this semester, and I'm thankful for the LSAT teaching me how to break down arguments into what matters vs. fluff as well as for the logic skills. For rock band, it is fun, but can be a bit time-consuming. I have to take a studio (or live) recording and figure out how I can adapt it to work for my specific band in a live setting.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:59 pm

In an effort to shorten the wait I'm calling tomorrow "two weeks until grey week" instead of "17 days till grey day" or "17 days until I find out I made a horrific bubbling error" or "17 days until I realize I got every question on the third logic game wrong.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”