Feb 2017 Waiter's Thread!!! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

New poll! How'd we do people??

>177
6%
175-176
No votes
173-174
11%
171-172
29%
169-170
6%
167-168
6%
165-166
3%
163-164
11%
161-162
6%
<160
23%

Total votes: 35

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: Feb 2017 Waiter's Thread!!!

Post by Alexandros » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Alexandros wrote:
maybeman wrote:Hey guys I have a question I need help with. Sorry if this comes off as annoying, but I could use your guys' opinions. I'm really happy with my score (173), but I'm on the fence about retaking. My goal is any of HYS. My average over the last 5 PTs before the test was 176.7. My average over my last 10 was 175.5. I feel like I may have misread an LG rule or something careless and missed 2-3 questions somewhere in the test (I didn't feel anxious, and felt confident throughout the test). My GPA is b/t 3.93-3.95, so I'm covered on that front. Is it worth retaking? I know Asha has said she looks down on two takes, and I'm at Stanford's 75th. I just want to make sure I have the best shot possible, and LSN is honestly not the best resource here (Yale accepts a higher percentage of 174 people than 176 with my GPA per the data). Thank you:)
Given your GPA, it would not make much sense to retake imo. Your numbers won't keep you out of HYS. If your GPA was ~25th, that might be a different story.

The only outcome I can think of that tends to value 175+ (or 174+) is the Hamilton at CLS. That's really it. it's up to you whether or not it's worth retaking to up your chances of one scholarship at one school.
I agree. I think if the rest of your application is strong, a 173 is not going to keep you out of HYS. If your goal was CCN w/ full ride money, I would probably recommend it. But you have a really strong LSAT and GPA, on one take, and I don't think it would be a huge value add if your LSAT was 175 or 176 vs. 173.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:28 pm

3.9/173 are amazing stats. I would say no to the retake unless you start getting nothing but 180's on PTs. Your GPA is great for HYS, and so is your LSAT score so I think you will get at least 1 of them

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
maybeman wrote:Hey guys I have a question I need help with. Sorry if this comes off as annoying, but I could use your guys' opinions. I'm really happy with my score (173), but I'm on the fence about retaking. My goal is any of HYS. My average over the last 5 PTs before the test was 176.7. My average over my last 10 was 175.5. I feel like I may have misread an LG rule or something careless and missed 2-3 questions somewhere in the test (I didn't feel anxious, and felt confident throughout the test). My GPA is b/t 3.93-3.95, so I'm covered on that front. Is it worth retaking? I know Asha has said she looks down on two takes, and I'm at Stanford's 75th. I just want to make sure I have the best shot possible, and LSN is honestly not the best resource here (Yale accepts a higher percentage of 174 people than 176 with my GPA per the data). Thank you:)
Given your GPA, it would not make much sense to retake imo. Your numbers won't keep you out of HYS. If your GPA was ~25th, that might be a different story.

The only outcome I can think of that tends to value 175+ (or 174+) is the Hamilton at CLS. That's really it. it's up to you whether or not it's worth retaking to up your chances of one scholarship at one school.
I agree. I think if the rest of your application is strong, a 173 is not going to keep you out of HYS. If your goal was CCN w/ full ride money, I would probably recommend it. But you have a really strong LSAT and GPA, on one take, and I don't think it would be a huge value add if your LSAT was 175 or 176 vs. 173.
Tbh, I think 173's fine for a full-ride at N and the other C.

That said, I don't think a retake would hurt your application. But I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to and have the time/energy to spare.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:47 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

That said, I don't think a retake would hurt your application. But I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to and have the time/energy to spare.
Thirded. I would be appalled, quite honestly, if MBM did not get at least one of HYS. Probably s/he'll get two. Don't retake, enjoy your score, your cycle, and your most-likely-awesome future life :D.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:10 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Thirded. I would be appalled, quite honestly, if MBM did not get at least one of HYS. Probably s/he'll get two. Don't retake, enjoy your score, your cycle, and your most-likely-awesome future life :D.
Alex--thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I have a good amount of time to perfect my app (currently a junior, so I won't submit for half a year)--hopefully nothing else keeps me out.

Anon.y--A full ride at CCN would be a terrific outcome. I'm extremely blessed in that money isn't a huge barrier for me. This is definitely pushing me away from a retake. Thanks homie, and good luck with the rest of your cycle!! I'm sure you'll kill it

Dm--This is so relief-inducing...thank you, and I hope so lmao (I'm a he btw)

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Mikey wrote:3.9/173 are amazing stats. I would say no to the retake unless you start getting nothing but 180's on PTs. Your GPA is great for HYS, and so is your LSAT score so I think you will get at least 1 of them
Thanks Mikey!! I really hope you're right

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:29 pm

maybeman wrote:
Alex--thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I have a good amount of time to perfect my app (currently a junior, so I won't submit for half a year)--hopefully nothing else keeps me out.

Anon.y--A full ride at CCN would be a terrific outcome. I'm extremely blessed in that money isn't a huge barrier for me. This is definitely pushing me away from a retake. Thanks homie, and good luck with the rest of your cycle!! I'm sure you'll kill it

you rock, it's been a pleasure waiting with you :D

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:35 pm

maybeman wrote:
Mikey wrote:3.9/173 are amazing stats. I would say no to the retake unless you start getting nothing but 180's on PTs. Your GPA is great for HYS, and so is your LSAT score so I think you will get at least 1 of them
Yale and Stanford are, as you know, kind of unpredictable, esp Y. But I think you will more than likely get Harvard tbh. if you stalk LSN as much as I do, you'd agree haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
maybeman wrote:

You too! :D :D If we end up at the same school and you're a year ahead, I demand a personal tour :lol:

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:43 pm

maybeman wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
maybeman wrote:

You too! :D :D If we end up at the same school and you're a year ahead, I demand a personal tour :lol:

sure thing, hold me to it :!: :!:

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Mikey wrote:
maybeman wrote:
Yale and Stanford are, as you know, kind of unpredictable, esp Y. But I think you will more than likely get Harvard tbh. if you stalk LSN as much as I do, you'd agree haha
This is the conclusion I've reached too. Haha, I've wasted tens of hours on that site, so I definitely feel what you're saying. I've been lurking threads you're in here and on 7Sage for over a year. I feel like I should thank you for all the advice you've handed out to us randos lmao. Keep killin it, and GL this cycle!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:47 pm

maybeman wrote:
Mikey wrote:
maybeman wrote:
This is the conclusion I've reached too. Haha, I've wasted tens of hours on that site, so I definitely feel what you're saying. I've been lurking threads you're in here and on 7Sage for over a year. I feel like I should thank you for all the advice you've handed out to us randos lmao. Keep killin it, and GL this cycle!
Hehe, thanks. Good luck this cycle to you too! Even though you won't need it with those stats! :P :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Mikey wrote:
maybeman wrote:
Mikey wrote:
maybeman wrote:
Hehe, thanks. Good luck this cycle to you too! Even though you won't need it with those stats! :P :D
Also cause I took this test for next cycle :wink:

quigleyest

New

Post by quigleyest » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:38 pm

173/107/172.... 3.6 .. in at CLS with no aid. Havent heard elsewhere (YHCCNB)

Really gutted by my 172 . 170 was a 173/174 with a one LG transposed bubbling error. Walking out of feb i felt like i had solidly performed , maybe 175+

Since ive seen pt's 70-80s alot , i pretty much get 175+ on each

Leaning towards PI, or private PI firm. Interested in a dual degree (ma econ)

What should i do? Hope for H? Retake June if on waitlist?

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:23 pm

Getting more frustrated with my score every day. I was prepping four points higher and was probably one stupid answer from the Harvard median

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 pm

etramak wrote:Getting more frustrated with my score every day. I was prepping four points higher and was probably one stupid answer from the Harvard median
I feel your frustration, but you have to remember you still got an amazing score, and H is certainly still possible with it. Are you thinking about retaking in June?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:29 pm

maybeman wrote:
etramak wrote:Getting more frustrated with my score every day. I was prepping four points higher and was probably one stupid answer from the Harvard median
I feel your frustration, but you have to remember you still got an amazing score, and H is certainly still possible with it. Are you thinking about retaking in June?
This was my third try. I cancelled in the middle of the second time I took because I wasn't feeling well

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:06 am

etramak wrote:
maybeman wrote:
This was my third try. I cancelled in the middle of the second time I took because I wasn't feeling well
something similar happened to me in my last take. after having changed one right to wrong for a q, for another q i saw the right choice like 0.00001 sec after proctor began end time announcement so i could still possibly change it on the sheet but froze. these total inane things cost me clear 2 points which would have got me an amazing score.
Last edited by appind on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:08 am

quigleyest wrote:173/107/172.... 3.6 .. in at CLS with no aid. Havent heard elsewhere (YHCCNB)

Really gutted by my 172 . 170 was a 173/174 with a one LG transposed bubbling error. Walking out of feb i felt like i had solidly performed , maybe 175+

Since ive seen pt's 70-80s alot , i pretty much get 175+ on each

Leaning towards PI, or private PI firm. Interested in a dual degree (ma econ)

What should i do? Hope for H? Retake June if on waitlist?
you have a solid 173, which is a score at which retake makes no sense.

there is no school where your LSAT is going to keep you out, it'd only be other things.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:37 am

appind wrote:
etramak wrote:
maybeman wrote:
something similar happened to me in my last take. after having changed one right to wrong for a q, for another q i saw the right choice like 0.00001 sec after proctor began end time announcement so i could still possibly change it on the sheet but froze. these total inane things cost me clear 2 points which would have got me an amazing score.
Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. I don't want to go as far to say it's unfair but it's extremely annoying how one or two multiple choice questions can keep you out of a school

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mauriby

New

Post by Mauriby » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:40 am

So I got a 164. It's a point higher than my average from the studying I did. My GPA is low--3.2 at the moment, will be a 3.4 when I graduate--so I'm considering retaking the lsat. I graduate either this coming fall or the next spring, and I'm trying to get a paid internship for the year following graduation. If it falls through, then I'm not sure what I'll do, but it looks likely that it'll happen.

My question is "should I retake in September/December?" I want to go to YHS, but I know my numbers are too low for that. Is it worth retaking? Could a significantly higher lsat increase my chances of a t14 acceptance that I could use to eventually transfer into YHS? I know I'll have a decent chance at getting into Emory; is it possible to transfer from there into a t14/YHS? Thanks for any guidance you guys can give.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:51 am

HYS is not happening barring something once-in-a-lifetime rare and if you're high enough ranked after 1L at a law school that HYS would accept as a transfer, also exceedingly unlikely, you might be doing yourself more harm than good by transferring and giving up likely law review, OCI priority, etc. You really should be focusing on hitting 170 at a minimum. Need to make yourself a splitter before you can compete like a splitter.
Last edited by AJordan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mauriby

New

Post by Mauriby » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:05 am

AJordan wrote:HYS is not happening barring something once-in-a-lifetime rare and if you're high enough ranked after 1L at a law school that HYS would accept as a transfer, also exceedingly unlikely, you might be doing yourself more harm than good by transferring and giving up likely law review, OCI priority, etc. You really should be focusing on hitting 170 at a minimum. Need to make yourself a splitter before you can compete like a splitter.
So would you say that, if we assume I break 170 after a retake, a t14 is at least a reach?

Could you also go into a bit more detail on what I'd be missing by transferring? I appreciate the help.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:57 am

Honestly don't know, but I'm in roughly the same position and I think I have a pretty good shot at getting 1 acceptance with my 174, 3.0-3.3. Splitter cycles aren't exactly predictable. Here's the mylsn for 168-171, 3.2-3.4: http://mylsn.info/c9umco/

If you are at a T-14 and you are in the top 5% (just a guess figuring what it would take to make that transfer happen) you likely have any number of opportunities from that school to get a great job. It seems a lot to give up to transfer somewhere else where you won't have the localized GPA/ranking to take to those meetings. Probably best to ask someone who has made that transfer.
Last edited by AJordan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”