Feb 2017 Waiter's Thread!!! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

New poll! How'd we do people??

>177
6%
175-176
No votes
173-174
11%
171-172
29%
169-170
6%
167-168
6%
165-166
3%
163-164
11%
161-162
6%
<160
23%

Total votes: 35

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Re: Feb 2017 Waiter's Thread!!!

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Does anybody know of any good organizations that accept donated LSAT study materials? Mine are written in and stuff but could mostly be erased I think and I know how expensive this stuff is. Would like it to go to someone who can't afford it rather than someone just looking to get it at a discount or to sit in my closet for years.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Just make a general post in here or in Reddit possibly. I'm not sure if there are organizations.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Does anybody know of any good organizations that accept donated LSAT study materials? Mine are written in and stuff but could mostly be erased I think and I know how expensive this stuff is. Would like it to go to someone who can't afford it rather than someone just looking to get it at a discount or to sit in my closet for years.
Not sure if there are any organizations, but if you still live near your undergrad institution, you could see if the pre-law adviser knows of any students might need something. Or maybe there is a facebook group for a pre-law society (my school has this)?

Just filed our 2016 taxes, and we're getting $2500 back! yay for getting married! :D

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:18 pm

etramak wrote:In an effort to shorten the wait I'm calling tomorrow "two weeks until grey week" instead of "17 days till grey day" or "17 days until I find out I made a horrific bubbling error" or "17 days until I realize I got every question on the third logic game wrong.
Last time the feb test was on the 4th scores were released the 24th. So you might not be far off! 11 days left :D :shock:

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:21 pm

maybeman wrote:
etramak wrote:In an effort to shorten the wait I'm calling tomorrow "two weeks until grey week" instead of "17 days till grey day" or "17 days until I find out I made a horrific bubbling error" or "17 days until I realize I got every question on the third logic game wrong.
Last time the feb test was on the 4th scores were released the 24th. So you might not be far off! 11 days left :D :shock:
NOOO I can't get my hopes up like that. I felt physically ill last grey day week. I'm going to try to convince myself to TRY to not get my hopes up until like two weeks from tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Law2020hopeful

New

Post by Law2020hopeful » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:22 pm

maybeman wrote:
That would be amazing. Dear LSAT Gods please let scores be released on the 24th!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:47 pm

maybeman wrote:
Good god I hope this happens again!!! My bday is the 20th, and my parents are coming to town the 27-28, so when they take me out for my bday it can also either be an LSAT celebration or mourn-fest :P

Serious question though: Why does it take so long to get LSAT scores? Especially for an undisclosed test? It's a freaking scantron. They just put it in a machine and it pops out the score!

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
NOOO I can't get my hopes up like that. I felt physically ill last grey day week. I'm going to try to convince myself to TRY to not get my hopes up until like two weeks from tomorrow.
You're gonna kill it! Also, the last 3 administrations were similarly early, which increases the chance of an early release :mrgreen:
airwrecka wrote:
Good god I hope this happens again!!! My bday is the 20th, and my parents are coming to town the 27-28, so when they take me out for my bday it can also either be an LSAT celebration or mourn-fest :P

Serious question though: Why does it take so long to get LSAT scores? Especially for an undisclosed test? It's a freaking scantron. They just put it in a machine and it pops out the score!
psh you'll be celebrating your yale acceptance by then

This is the question of the century. Would love an answer

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:31 pm

maybeman wrote:

This is the question of the century. Would love an answer.
Hahaha well I didn't actually apply to Yale, so that won't be happening ;)

I wonder if they have people go over the scantrons after they've been scored to make sure there aren't errors. Or maybe there are some intense cheating checks they go through. LSAC is so anal about everything I wouldn't be surprised, honestly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:45 pm

airwrecka wrote:
maybeman wrote:

This is the question of the century. Would love an answer.
Hahaha well I didn't actually apply to Yale, so that won't be happening ;)

I wonder if they have people go over the scantrons after they've been scored to make sure there aren't errors. Or maybe there are some intense cheating checks they go through. LSAC is so anal about everything I wouldn't be surprised, honestly.
I have no idea but my guess is it's something like security/cheating checks, dealing with testing center complaints, testing center violations, etc.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Can we all pause for a moment to discuss how freakishly cute maybeman's avatar is? Fluffy birds are way too adorable.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:05 pm

airwrecka wrote:Can we all pause for a moment to discuss how freakishly cute maybeman's avatar is? Fluffy birds are way too adorable.
:lol: it's a very serious looking bird

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:07 pm

I've grown plenty accustomed to not having my score. At this point I kind of don't even want it. Without it, all things are possible. With it, probably significantly fewer things are possible...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:29 pm

This must be how yall feel

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:51 pm

Trying not to be too sad right now, but part of me thinks even with a huge increase in my LSAT score, my scholarships won't improve much and that it would be better for me to wait until next cycle to reapply. I DO NOT want to wait another year, but I'm worried I don't have a hope for some of the big schollys in the T6, even if I get 174+ because it's just too late. For instance, scholarships at CLS went out with acceptance, and since I've already been accepted, I'm worried for what that means for me :/

I know, I know, first world problems.

chrysippusofsoli

New

Post by chrysippusofsoli » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:17 pm

airwrecka wrote:Trying not to be too sad right now, but part of me thinks even with a huge increase in my LSAT score, my scholarships won't improve much and that it would be better for me to wait until next cycle to reapply. I DO NOT want to wait another year, but I'm worried I don't have a hope for some of the big schollys in the T6, even if I get 174+ because it's just too late. For instance, scholarships at CLS went out with acceptance, and since I've already been accepted, I'm worried for what that means for me :/

I'm under the impression that the general opinion on TLS and the Reddit threads is quite risk-averse - i.e. all else being equal, getting significant money at a lower-ranked school very often beats getting much less money at a higher-ranked school, and aiming for the significant-money outcome even warrants waiting another year. But I wonder a little about the wisdom of that advice, especially for folks looking to go into BigLaw - surely the 1 missed year of earnings counts for something, right? And for some people, putting their lives on hold for another year just seems like too huge a sacrifice to make.

Would admission at Harvard/Stanford ease your dilemma a little? Or would you still strongly prefer significant scholarships at CCN over paying close to sticker at Harvard/Stanford?

In any case, good luck! (I'm only applying next cycle, so I'm planning to use June/September for retakes if I have to. Hopefully not!)

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:53 pm

chrysippusofsoli wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Trying not to be too sad right now, but part of me thinks even with a huge increase in my LSAT score, my scholarships won't improve much and that it would be better for me to wait until next cycle to reapply. I DO NOT want to wait another year, but I'm worried I don't have a hope for some of the big schollys in the T6, even if I get 174+ because it's just too late. For instance, scholarships at CLS went out with acceptance, and since I've already been accepted, I'm worried for what that means for me :/

I'm under the impression that the general opinion on TLS and the Reddit threads is quite risk-averse - i.e. all else being equal, getting significant money at a lower-ranked school very often beats getting much less money at a higher-ranked school, and aiming for the significant-money outcome even warrants waiting another year. But I wonder a little about the wisdom of that advice, especially for folks looking to go into BigLaw - surely the 1 missed year of earnings counts for something, right? And for some people, putting their lives on hold for another year just seems like too huge a sacrifice to make.

Would admission at Harvard/Stanford ease your dilemma a little? Or would you still strongly prefer significant scholarships at CCN over paying close to sticker at Harvard/Stanford?

In any case, good luck! (I'm only applying next cycle, so I'm planning to use June/September for retakes if I have to. Hopefully not!)
I think this opinion is based on solid reasoning for most people. Employment outcomes don't differ drastically in the t-14. Many will end up hating biglaw so much that spending fewer years in it is a huge plus. Debt accumulates with interest, which magnifies the issue. Also, so many people blindly chase lay prestige that people on here who've been through the process probably exaggerate some of the reasons for not attending HYS > $$$ @ UVA (for example)

ETA airwrecka doesn't have to worry about this though. JS2 is inev

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrysippusofsoli

New

Post by chrysippusofsoli » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:33 pm

maybeman wrote: I think this opinion is based on some solid reasoning for most people. Employment outcomes don't differ drastically when comparing most schools in the t-14. A lot of people aren't looking to do biglaw too, so debt might be harder to pay off. And many will end up hating biglaw so much that spending fewer years in it is a huge plus. Debt accumulates with interest, which magnifies the issue. Also, so many people blindly chase lay prestige that people on here who've been through the process probably exaggerate some of reasons for not attending HYS > $$$ @ UVA (for example)
Point taken. I wasn't trying to say that this is not solid reasoning in most cases; rather, I was making the weaker claim that it's not necessarily the best approach in every single case, therefore the tentative language in my earlier post. I agree that it is useful to play up the wisdom of taking money over prestige (within limits of course), especially to people who might possibly have doubts of staying in BigLaw.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:44 pm

chrysippusofsoli wrote:
maybeman wrote: I think this opinion is based on some solid reasoning for most people. Employment outcomes don't differ drastically when comparing most schools in the t-14. A lot of people aren't looking to do biglaw too, so debt might be harder to pay off. And many will end up hating biglaw so much that spending fewer years in it is a huge plus. Debt accumulates with interest, which magnifies the issue. Also, so many people blindly chase lay prestige that people on here who've been through the process probably exaggerate some of reasons for not attending HYS > $$$ @ UVA (for example)
Point taken. I wasn't trying to say that this is not solid reasoning in most cases; rather, I was making the weaker claim that it's not necessarily the best approach in every single case, therefore the tentative language in my earlier post. I agree that it is useful to play up the wisdom of taking money over prestige (within limits of course), especially to people who might possibly have doubts of staying in BigLaw.
I gotcha, totally agree. Just trying to explain why tls admissions advice isn't crazy risk averse in most cases

chrysippusofsoli

New

Post by chrysippusofsoli » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:47 am

maybeman wrote: I gotcha, totally agree. Just trying to explain why tls admissions advice isn't crazy risk averse in most cases
Yup, no disagreement there!

Are you applying next cycle too?

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:11 am

chrysippusofsoli wrote:
maybeman wrote: I gotcha, totally agree. Just trying to explain why tls admissions advice isn't crazy risk averse in most cases
Yup, no disagreement there!

Are you applying next cycle too?
That's the plan. This was my first take and fingers crossed its my last. Hbu?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chrysippusofsoli

New

Post by chrysippusofsoli » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:25 am

maybeman wrote: That's the plan. This was my first take and fingers crossed its my last. Hbu?
Exactly the same for me - first take, and hopefully the last! It's nice to have June, September/October, and even December as backup if really necessary, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. It would be really nice to have the rest of the year to focus on personal statements, etc.

Good luck to us on that!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks for the support, guys :) I was telling my husband last night--I'm definitely worrying about things I have no control over even before I know what's actually going to happen. I don't have my new score yet, and I don't know what the law schools will do with it once they have it, so I need to chill :lol:

I'm 18 minutes out from my Duke financial aid interview. Kind of sick of law school interviews, tbh. Oh well, at least the pressure's off because I'm already accepted :P

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46 am

airwrecka wrote:Thanks for the support, guys :) I was telling my husband last night--I'm definitely worrying about things I have no control over even before I know what's actually going to happen. I don't have my new score yet, and I don't know what the law schools will do with it once they have it, so I need to chill :lol:

I'm 18 minutes out from my Duke financial aid interview. Kind of sick of law school interviews, tbh. Oh well, at least the pressure's off because I'm already accepted :P
Similarly trying to find my zen about all of this. Secretly I am also scared that even with a great Feb score it may be too late in the cycle to score a big (full-ride) scholarship somewhere, but my hope is that as people start to make decisions and seat deposits money will free up. It's like the same six people getting full ride offers at all of these schools and they can't attend all of them. All it takes it ONE school to find the money for you and we can be in the same position. :)

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Thanks for the support, guys :) I was telling my husband last night--I'm definitely worrying about things I have no control over even before I know what's actually going to happen. I don't have my new score yet, and I don't know what the law schools will do with it once they have it, so I need to chill :lol:

Similarly trying to find my zen about all of this. Secretly I am also scared that even with a great Feb score it may be too late in the cycle to score a big (full-ride) scholarship somewhere, but my hope is that as people start to make decisions and seat deposits money will free up. It's like the same six people getting full ride offers at all of these schools and they can't attend all of them. All it takes it ONE school to find the money for you and we can be in the same position. :)
YES that is my exact fear. And my exact hope/consolation :) We got this!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”