Is it useful to take a logic class to prep for the LSAT?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CheyenneGarrett17

New

Is it useful to take a logic class to prep for the LSAT?

Postby CheyenneGarrett17 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:48 pm

How useful would it be to take a logic course before taking the LSAT?

I enrolled in a logic course for this semester, but a couple classes in noticed that a lot of my classmates were re-taking the class because they either withdrew or failed the first time. The instructor admits its a difficult class, a lot of people fail and drop, and few get As. So that got me nervous, I am really trying to raise my GPA these last couple of semesters.

So, I am considering dropping it and picking up some silly online class. But I am concerned that the course could help me understand some fundamental principles for the LSAT, and that dropping it will be a sort of missed opportunity.

I know logic classes differ a lot but the syllabus says something similar to this: "We will study formal, or symbolic, logic, concentrating on the use of a symbolic language and the development of a formal system of derivation. The parts of logic that we will study in Logic are Sentential logic and Quantification Theory."

If it matters, in terms of LSAT prep, I will be self-studying the fundamentals and using Blueprint online.

Thanks in advance for any input.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Re: Is it useful to take a logic class to prep for the LSAT?

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Drop it and just learn LSAT logic using study materials like PowerScore, Manhattan, Blueprint, etc. Not worth it to risk dropping your GPA

The class probably won't even help that much and might even cause confusion when you study using Blueprint

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:54 pm

It might help but not enough to risk a potentially bad grade. Just use LSAT materials to study for the LSAT.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Not really. There will some overlap with the basics (necessary/sufficient, etc) but it will verge off into much more technical, complicated material. You don't need to know how to prove long theorums or anything for the LSAT - Anything relevant (which is basically necessary / sufficient, logic chains) will probably be covered in the first week or so, and you'd get just as well from LSAT books.

(That's assuming it's like what the intro logic class I took - which, judging by the description, seems to be the case.)

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:43 pm

I am philosophy major, and had to a take a accelerated symbolic logic course. I can easily say that it was one of the most difficult courses I have taken, and for the most part is much more than is needed for the LSAT. Majoring in philosophy did give me a head start while studying, although a basic introductory logic course will give you most if not all tools you need for the logical reasoning section of the LSAT. I would not placed undue stress on yourself or risk lowering your GPA.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�