Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
anhibitor1023

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby anhibitor1023 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum and had a few questions regarding preparation for the LSAT. I'm an incoming college freshman and will be studying at NYU. I'll most likely be taking a gap year between college and law school.

First of all, my plan was to take the October LSAT in the beginning of either my Junior or Senior year (which would be better?) so that I could use the summer solely to prepare for the LSAT. Is that a reasonable idea? Also, with that time being so distant from now, I was wondering if there was anything I could do starting right now in order to prepare for the test. Should I devote an hour of my time every day to studying starting from freshman year, devote some time on the weekends to studying, or is it best to do nothing until Junior/Senior year?

Also, I know absolutely nothing about study materials and how to structure a good study schedule, so if someone could direct me to any guides, that would be greatly appreciated.

And also, considering that I'm very clueless regarding this whole process, any and all tips/necessary information that I should know before diving into this journey would be extremely appreciated (e.g. What do you wish you knew going into freshman year, or what do you wish you had done differently in your studying process?).

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3466
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby UVA2B » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Be a freshman for a bit. Have fun and get good grades.
Turn into a sophomore. Get good grades and consider your abroad opportunities.
Boom, junior year. Time to think about your future. Still not thinking about the LSAT.
Senior year, wha?! Time to have the last bit of my fun before real life weighs on me.
Find a job. Seriously, it'll be worth your time. Consider the LSAT forum here for all study plans and how to attack the test. It'll be your best friend.
Rock LSAT if/when you're ready with the best score you can get. It's learnable, seriously.
When applications open in X year after all this, apply because you've taken the time to really, REALLY think of this career is right for you. You'll be well-served.
Go to great law school with your best options avaialable once adult you has determined this career is what you truly want.

This was tongue in cheek, but seriously, your time is better served worrying about enjoying/doing well in college. The LSAT, and vis a vis law school, will be available to you when you're ready to take that plunge. As an old, I'll personally tell you you're better served finding out who you are as an adult before you prep for the next academic experience, especially in a professional school like law school should be.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby Alexandros » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:59 pm

1) Senior year or later, unless you have good reason to take it Junior year. (Post-LSAT ennui is real. Also, your interests might change, and there's not that much use studying for the LSAT if you decide not to go to law school, and you get more leeway if you decide to take time off. Speaking from experience.)

2) Start studying around the April or May before you take it, and take the entire summer to study. Don't worry about studying right now - you'll burn out or get too familiar with material.

3) Try not to screw up your grades first year, and study something that's interesting to you and has non-law options in case you change your mind. (Speaking from experience here too...)

But, as mentioned above, I think the best method is to go through UG, work for a bit, then think about law school.

anhibitor1023

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby anhibitor1023 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Alexandros wrote:1) Senior year or later, unless you have good reason to take it Junior year. (Post-LSAT ennui is real. Also, your interests might change, and there's not that much use studying for the LSAT if you decide not to go to law school, and you get more leeway if you decide to take time off. Speaking from experience.)

2) Start studying around the April or May before you take it, and take the entire summer to study. Don't worry about studying right now - you'll burn out or get too familiar with material.

3) Try not to screw up your grades first year, and study something that's interesting to you and has non-law options in case you change your mind. (Speaking from experience here too...)

But, as mentioned above, I think the best method is to go through UG, work for a bit, then think about law school.


I was going to teach English in Japan via the JET program for 1-2 years and pass the JLPT N1 test after my undergraduate years. Is this an okay plan? And also, going off of your response and the previous poster's response, I should start studying for the test April of my senior year and take it that October.

However, where should I look to for study materials or information on how to study for the test?

Also, in terms of extracurriculars, I was thinking of doing 2-3 clubs at the most. I have no idea if an internship would be worth it, what kind of time commitment it would be, if it's recommended to hold a law intership while studying, and if they are even easily available.

Thanks for the help so far, by the way.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby Alexandros » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:05 pm

anhibitor1023 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:1) Senior year or later, unless you have good reason to take it Junior year. (Post-LSAT ennui is real. Also, your interests might change, and there's not that much use studying for the LSAT if you decide not to go to law school, and you get more leeway if you decide to take time off. Speaking from experience.)

2) Start studying around the April or May before you take it, and take the entire summer to study. Don't worry about studying right now - you'll burn out or get too familiar with material.

3) Try not to screw up your grades first year, and study something that's interesting to you and has non-law options in case you change your mind. (Speaking from experience here too...)

But, as mentioned above, I think the best method is to go through UG, work for a bit, then think about law school.


I was going to teach English in Japan via the JET program for 1-2 years and pass the JLPT N1 test after my undergraduate years. Is this an okay plan? And also, going off of your response and the previous poster's response, I should start studying for the test April of my senior year and take it that October.

However, where should I look to for study materials or information on how to study for the test?

Also, in terms of extracurriculars, I was thinking of doing 2-3 clubs at the most. I have no idea if an internship would be worth it, what kind of time commitment it would be, if it's recommended to hold a law intership while studying, and if they are even easily available.

Thanks for the help so far, by the way.

That sounds fine - although I don't have enough info to say otherwise. I would definitely put off the LSAT until senior year or later if you're planning on taking 2 or more years between UG and LS (as it expires in 4 or 5 years).

There are a lot of study guides on this site. PowerScore and Manhattan books are highly recommended and a good intro. Wouldn't worry about that for a few years though.

I think a couple of long-term ECs that enables you to have a leadership position is a good way to go. Use freshman year to explore things and start worrying about ECs more second year. Internships are never a bad idea. However, numbers are the most important thing.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:30 am

Enjoy being in college, get good grades and don't worry about the LSAT until your senior year and/or gap year.

Just do as best as you can for the highest GPA possible and choose a major that interests you.

User avatar
Walliums

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby Walliums » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Mikey wrote:Enjoy being in college, get good grades and don't worry about the LSAT until your senior year and/or gap year.

Just do as best as you can for the highest GPA possible and choose a major that interests you.


This. Have a good time in undergrad, but don't forget that the reason you are in college is to go to class and graduate with a bachelor's degree :)

For me, I went into undergrad thinking I wanted to do law (but for different reasons than I do now). Then I changed my mind around the end of freshman year, kept my major but pursued a different field. I worked for a few years after graduating, stopped liking the field, and realized that law was what I wanted to do. If I had tried to do straight K-JD, I wouldn't have been receptive to much of the advice out there on choosing law schools, being realistic about job prospects (especially from certain law schools) and focusing a lot of effort on the LSAT to do well enough do get scholarships.

Enjoy college, enjoy the friends you make. It will hopefully be an awesome four years. And if you are ever at a party when you are underage and they decide to leave the garage door open to "cool things off" you must leave. RUN. Because that party will get busted and you could get in trouble whether you are drinking or not.

User avatar
gnomgnomuch

Silver
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Don't fret about the test so early into your UG career. Have fun and worry about getting good grades.

One of the best pieces of advice I got on this site was the above; I still trolled TLS, and studied for the LSAT, but I ended up doing a masters after undergrad abroad, and have no put LS on hold for a few years. When I do go to LS I'll be in a much, MUCH, better position for it.

Also, major in something that can get you a job if you end up deciding not to do Law. A lot of my friends were so focused on getting a high GPA in majors like English or History that they had no internships or work experience outside of that and were completely unprepared for the real world.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further.

User avatar
Walliums

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby Walliums » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:50 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:Don't fret about the test so early into your UG career. Have fun and worry about getting good grades.

One of the best pieces of advice I got on this site was the above; I still trolled TLS, and studied for the LSAT, but I ended up doing a masters after undergrad abroad, and have no put LS on hold for a few years. When I do go to LS I'll be in a much, MUCH, better position for it.

Also, major in something that can get you a job if you end up deciding not to do Law. A lot of my friends were so focused on getting a high GPA in majors like English or History that they had no internships or work experience outside of that and were completely unprepared for the real world.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further.


This is not to say that you cannot or should not major in English or History. If you do, you absolutely should do summer internships. Even if you end up wanting to do law, it's good to have some work experience.

User avatar
ws120

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:21 am

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby ws120 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:03 pm

#1 piece of advice.... MAKE GOOD GRADES. Don't take difficult classes and try to get a 3.9-4.0. Worst mistake I made in this process was taking hard classes that I enjoyed but didn't do as well in.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:50 pm

ws120 wrote:#1 piece of advice.... MAKE GOOD GRADES. Don't take difficult classes and try to get a 3.9-4.0. Worst mistake I made in this process was taking hard classes that I enjoyed but didn't do as well in.

+180
Don't take 'physics for engineers' as an elective in your first semester.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Alexandros wrote:Don't take 'physics for engineers' as an elective in your first semester.

Bruh

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Incoming Freshman LSAT Questions

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Don't take 'physics for engineers' as an elective in your first semester.

Bruh

Biggest regret.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests