Self Study advice (using PowerScore's 6 Month Plan)?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mh494

New

Self Study advice (using PowerScore's 6 Month Plan)?

Postby mh494 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Hey, everyone!

I started studying for the June LSAT at the beginning of the month, and I'm using PS's 6-Month Self-Study guide (I know I technically have 5 months, but I've arranged it so everything on their schedule fits within the time frame). My cold diagnostic score was a 161, and I'm really hoping to get 172+ come June. I've always been a very good test taker and student, so I came into the LSAT prep experience feeling pretty confident that I could get that score without any major problems, especially considering the universally rave reviews I've heard about PowerScore.

Now that I'm getting deeper into studying, I'm starting to freak out a little that I'm not seeing progress as quickly as I'd like. I know that might be ridiculous because I'm only 2 weeks in, but I feel like I'm at this weird place where the test questions and concepts are actually becoming more confusing to me because I'm trying to remember and incorporate everything that PowerScore has taught me so far, and I just get overwhelmed. So I guess I have a few questions for everyone, particularly those of you who have used the same or similar PowerScore study guides.

1) For those of you who have used PowerScore (and specifically the 6 month plan), how did it go for you? Was there a point when you were feeling kind of like I am now, and if so, when did everything start to click a little bit more?
2) If I follow their guidelines diligently, should I feasibly be able to raise my score by 11+ points?
3) Should I supplement PowerScore with anything else and/or do anything else outside of the schedule they give?

I know this is a little rambly--it's late--but any and all help would be SO appreciated!! I just don't want to look back come mid-July and realize that I should have done something differently to get my score where I want it to be.

Just for reference, here's the study guide (it's available as a public PDF on their website, so hopefully this isn't any violation of copyright law?!). https://s3.amazonaws.com/studentcenter/ ... y_plan.pdf

SunDevil14

Bronze

Re: Self Study advice (using PowerScore's 6 Month Plan)?

Postby SunDevil14 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:00 pm

mh494 wrote:Hey, everyone!

I started studying for the June LSAT at the beginning of the month, and I'm using PS's 6-Month Self-Study guide (I know I technically have 5 months, but I've arranged it so everything on their schedule fits within the time frame). My cold diagnostic score was a 161, and I'm really hoping to get 172+ come June. I've always been a very good test taker and student, so I came into the LSAT prep experience feeling pretty confident that I could get that score without any major problems, especially considering the universally rave reviews I've heard about PowerScore.

Now that I'm getting deeper into studying, I'm starting to freak out a little that I'm not seeing progress as quickly as I'd like. I know that might be ridiculous because I'm only 2 weeks in, but I feel like I'm at this weird place where the test questions and concepts are actually becoming more confusing to me because I'm trying to remember and incorporate everything that PowerScore has taught me so far, and I just get overwhelmed. So I guess I have a few questions for everyone, particularly those of you who have used the same or similar PowerScore study guides.

1) For those of you who have used PowerScore (and specifically the 6 month plan), how did it go for you? Was there a point when you were feeling kind of like I am now, and if so, when did everything start to click a little bit more?
2) If I follow their guidelines diligently, should I feasibly be able to raise my score by 11+ points?
3) Should I supplement PowerScore with anything else and/or do anything else outside of the schedule they give?

I know this is a little rambly--it's late--but any and all help would be SO appreciated!! I just don't want to look back come mid-July and realize that I should have done something differently to get my score where I want it to be.

Just for reference, here's the study guide (it's available as a public PDF on their website, so hopefully this isn't any violation of copyright law?!). https://s3.amazonaws.com/studentcenter/ ... y_plan.pdf

1. I used and enjoyed powerscores materials. I started seeing a large jump in improvement after completing the bible trilogy after roughly a month of studying. Worth mentioning is that a lot of people experience plateaus followed by breakthroughs rather than a steady and progressive climb.

2. 11+ points is doable, especially if you are weak in logic games since that is the easiest section to improve. Expect diminishing returns as your score starts to climb into the high 160's and low 170's.

3. Powerscore's material is pretty comprehensive, their type training books are quite beneficial to work on weaknesses (especially logical reasoning). Cambridge has similar type training books beyond practice test 40, though you will likely have to buy them used. I'd consider picking up Manhattan Preps RC book, personally I thought Powerscore's materials/approach to RC was the weakest of the three subjects.

calmike

Bronze

Re: Self Study advice (using PowerScore's 6 Month Plan)?

Postby calmike » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:08 pm

mh494 wrote:Hey, everyone!

How is your studying going? I am about to start the 3 month study plan but I am going to rush the schedule a bit so I can take as many PTs leading up to the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�