Independent self-studying or taking a course?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sunflower99

New

Independent self-studying or taking a course?

Postby sunflower99 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Do you recommend independent self-studying for the LSAT or taking a LSAT prep course? Also any advice you have on preparing for the LSAT would be great.

Thanks!!!

zerato5

Bronze

Re: Independent self-studying or taking a course?

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Completely depends on your learning style/how you learn best. Which only you know. For me, an independent learner, self-studying was definitely the way to go, but if you like to have people explain things to you and give you guidance and help you figure out what you need to work on, a course might be the better option.

I personally used the LSAT Trainer (book -- you can find it on Amazon) and prep tests to do lots of drilling as well as full timed exams, and it was plenty of help. I occasionally look up logic games solutions on 7sage's website, and explanations of logical reasoning questions on Manhattan Test Prep's forums. However, there are oodles of resources you can use to study, so you really just need to find what works best for you.

sunflower99

New

Postby sunflower99 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice! I am definitely more of an independent study person.

I came across this blog and he links to the 9 books he used to prep for the LSAT. What do you think of this list? Any additional books to check out?

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunflower99

New

Postby sunflower99 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:09 pm

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Incrementalist

Bronze

Postby Incrementalist » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:36 pm

I would say take a practice test first if you have never taken the lsat to get a baseline for yourself. To see if it's even worth paying a lot of money for the class. I also think the LSAT Trainer is good because you can also get a organized study schedule online for free and start with that. I also have the Manhattan trilogy too. Those books are pretty good too. I prefer The Trainer though. It was a bit more engaging and really prepares you to get into the minds of top test takers.

ri.co

New

Postby ri.co » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:43 pm

zerato5 wrote:
sunflower99 wrote:This is the link sorry:

http://lawschooli.com/lsat-prep-books-self-study/

I wouldn't consider the LSAT practice tests "books" per se. Just buy as many as you can of those. The list is basically all three Powerscore books. That may work for some people, but I would suggest adding the LSAT trainer, and then feel free to look at the Manhattan prep books. Most people like Manhattan for LR, and powerscore for LG. Read some reviews, and shop around.

I have a similar question to OP. But if you don't mind me asking, I see this advice on a number other places. I would like to follow the Powerscore 4 month plan, do you have any advice as how to schedule in the Manhanttan and LSAT Trainer with that schedule? That is my big concern if how to plan my self-study if I use different branded study prep materials.

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:11 am

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:27 am

If you're self-disciplined enough then do self studying. And if you're not self-disciplined enough to study for the LSAT, that might be an issue in law school, at least I think so.

Most people on here will tell you to self study and use stuff like 7sage, Manhattan prep, powerscore

ri.co

New

Postby ri.co » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:05 pm

zerato5 wrote:
ri.co wrote:
zerato5 wrote:

I wouldn't consider the LSAT practice tests "books" per se. Just buy as many as you can of those. The list is basically all three Powerscore books. That may work for some people, but I would suggest adding the LSAT trainer, and then feel free to look at the Manhattan prep books. Most people like Manhattan for LR, and powerscore for LG. Read some reviews, and shop around.

I have a similar question to OP. But if you don't mind me asking, I see this advice on a number other places. I would like to follow the Powerscore 4 month plan, do you have any advice as how to schedule in the Manhanttan and LSAT Trainer with that schedule? That is my big concern if how to plan my self-study if I use different branded study prep materials.

I used the LSAT trainer schedule, but I just finished it completely before started the power score bible.

How long did that take? You think it would not be wise to try to squeeze in Trainer with the bibles in a four month Powerscore schedule?

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 am

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ri.co

New

Postby ri.co » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:48 am

zerato5 wrote:
ri.co wrote:
zerato5 wrote:
ri.co wrote:
zerato5 wrote:

I used the LSAT trainer schedule, but I just finished it completely before started the power score bible.

How long did that take? You think it would not be wise to try to squeeze in Trainer with the bibles in a four month Powerscore schedule?

Took about a month and half. The powerscore LG bible took me about 3 weeks as well. I PT'd the rest of the time. You should be ok if you're diligent. I studied about 4/5 hours a day. (Although as general advice, dont let it stress you out. My numbers improved when I was more relaxed and optimistic.)

I'm looking at doing 15 or so hours a week (starting Feb until June LSAT). Do you think that would be enough time to finish the Powerscore Trilogy and have sufficient time for PTs afterwards? Would it be worthwhile and plausible to add LSAT Trainer in there too?

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:14 am

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

sharpie202

New

Postby sharpie202 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:47 pm

Does anyone have a day-to-day LSAT study schedule? I have found all of this advice super helpful, but am looking for a day-to-day "workout" plan to break the studying down even more. I know this may vary from person-to-person, but a template to start off would be valuable!

Csta5315

New

Postby Csta5315 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:37 am

I recommend taking a course. I self studied for a few months and then took a course and saw a much greater improvement after the course ended and I began practice testing. But, self studying did help me get more out of my course, so that is another thing to consider. I would do both if you could , but if you only can choose 1, go with the course.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�