How to improve from -6 to -3 for RC?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
juliayu

New

How to improve from -6 to -3 for RC?

Postby juliayu » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 pm

I took the Dec test and got 6 wrong on RC. It seems that -6 has been my plateau for a while. I have Done all the RC sections and now I am repeating them for the 2nd or even 3rd time. I realize that I tend to repeat the same mistakes I made previously. Any good suggestions for improvement?

Instrumental

Silver

Re: How to improve from -6 to -3 for RC?

Postby Instrumental » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:34 pm

RC is the tough section for most. I didn't see any consistent gains in my performance until close to the end of my studies. I went -9 on the Sept. test, but then -3 in December. So I was pretty happy with that.

- First, it's important to think of the answer to the question prior to diving into the choices or going back to reference the passage (the exception being the questions where they explicitly mention a line number on which the question is based). This helps immensely in accuracy and in timing.
- I personally never made annotations. I felt that relying on memory would save time and being more focused on retaining the information would help me with figuring out the answers and allow me to reference the text fairly quickly when need be.
- The difficulty to me was mostly in the nuance of answer choices more so than the text itself. In turn the test of reading comprehension wasn't so much the passage, but interpreting the possible answers. For me, understanding this helped be more at ease in reading the passages and helped hone in on where my problems were arising primarily.
- Keep in mind that the answer isn't convoluted in how you reach it. More often than not, the answer is fairly simply worded in one part of the text, not a synthesis of multiple parts (like those structure outline questions). Basically, if you find yourself having trouble, you may be over thinking the question. Take a deep breath, re approach and try it again.
- For timing, I found the mastermind watch immensely helpful. Not sure why, but the timer on my phone and my normal watch didn't resonate with me as much as the color coded 8:45 sections on the face of the watch. Made me more aware of the time spent reading the passage and the time spent answering the questions and helped me manage both accordingly. Of course, your results may vary. If you're not having much trouble with timing then no biggie.
- Redoing passages is really where I began to see my gains. I was apprehensive about doing it at first because I figured it would be a waste of time having already done them, but the section finally began to click when I did so. Seeing the question types over again helped better familiarize my mind with the test.

juliayu

New

Re: How to improve from -6 to -3 for RC?

Postby juliayu » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Instrumental wrote:RC is the tough section for most. I didn't see any consistent gains in my performance until close to the end of my studies. I went -9 on the Sept. test, but then -3 in December. So I was pretty happy with that.

- First, it's important to think of the answer to the question prior to diving into the choices or going back to reference the passage (the exception being the questions where they explicitly mention a line number on which the question is based). This helps immensely in accuracy and in timing.
- I personally never made annotations. I felt that relying on memory would save time and being more focused on retaining the information would help me with figuring out the answers and allow me to reference the text fairly quickly when need be.
- The difficulty to me was mostly in the nuance of answer choices more so than the text itself. In turn the test of reading comprehension wasn't so much the passage, but interpreting the possible answers. For me, understanding this helped be more at ease in reading the passages and helped hone in on where my problems were arising primarily.
- Keep in mind that the answer isn't convoluted in how you reach it. More often than not, the answer is fairly simply worded in one part of the text, not a synthesis of multiple parts (like those structure outline questions). Basically, if you find yourself having trouble, you may be over thinking the question. Take a deep breath, re approach and try it again.
- For timing, I found the mastermind watch immensely helpful. Not sure why, but the timer on my phone and my normal watch didn't resonate with me as much as the color coded 8:45 sections on the face of the watch. Made me more aware of the time spent reading the passage and the time spent answering the questions and helped me manage both accordingly. Of course, your results may vary. If you're not having much trouble with timing then no biggie.
- Redoing passages is really where I began to see my gains. I was apprehensive about doing it at first because I figured it would be a waste of time having already done them, but the section finally began to click when I did so. Seeing the question types over again helped better familiarize my mind with the test.

I also noticed improvement after being familiar with question types and the common mistakes. Thanks a lot for your kind reply!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�