Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
atu

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:33 am

Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby atu » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:19 pm

I was going to take the Feb 2017 test but after a frustrating attempt where I scored 158 earlier this week, I do not think I would be ready in time for the February test (since I want to be scoring within the mid 160s). This would have been my fourth time testing and I have been studying on and off for the LSAT since October 2013 while doing grad school and working. My undergraduate GPA is 3.72 and I just received my MA in Gender Studies in May 2016. Given that the best score I have on file is a 158 and that this is probably the best I can do, should I apply for this cycle or study for another 5 months for the June test? Also, if I do opt to take the June test instead of the February test, do people recommend working part time while studying, or studying full time?

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby dm1683 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:39 pm

atu wrote:I was going to take the Feb 2017 test but after a frustrating attempt where I scored 158 earlier this week, I do not think I would be ready in time for the February test (since I want to be scoring within the mid 160s). This would have been my fourth time testing and I have been studying on and off for the LSAT since October 2013 while doing grad school and working. My undergraduate GPA is 3.72 and I just received my MA in Gender Studies in May 2016. Given that the best score I have on file is a 158 and that this is probably the best I can do, should I apply for this cycle or study for another 5 months for the June test? Also, if I do opt to take the June test instead of the February test, do people recommend working part time while studying, or studying full time?


If you have to ask the question, that probably means you should wait.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:31 pm

if you're not where you want to be with your score range then just wait. there's nothing wrong with waiting a bit and studying more!

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Absolutely wait out a cycle.
I highly doubt 158 is the best you can do, and there's an advantage in applying early, which you'd be able to do with a June or September score.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Alexandros wrote:Absolutely wait out a cycle.

are you applying next cycle or the one after that?

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Absolutely wait out a cycle.

are you applying next cycle or the one after that?

Unsure if this question is directed at me or OP?
Probably the one after but I dunno. Sorry if this wasn't directed at me...

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Absolutely wait out a cycle.

are you applying next cycle or the one after that?

Unsure if this question is directed at me or OP?
Probably the one after but I dunno. Sorry if this wasn't directed at me...

I was talking to you, fool! haha

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Absolutely wait out a cycle.

are you applying next cycle or the one after that?

Unsure if this question is directed at me or OP?
Probably the one after but I dunno. Sorry if this wasn't directed at me...

I was talking to you, fool! haha

:oops:

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Absolutely wait out a cycle.

are you applying next cycle or the one after that?

Unsure if this question is directed at me or OP?
Probably the one after but I dunno. Sorry if this wasn't directed at me...

I was talking to you, fool! haha

:oops:

it's all good, I see why you got confused bb girl

somedeadman

Bronze
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby somedeadman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Definitely take it in June, and not waste a take now.

As for working, I think that's up to you. Most people will say you should work, but if you don't have to, it can be nice to just focus on and worry about the LSAT. The first time I took it, I was working fulltime and trying to juggle work and studying was exhausting and frustrating.

atu

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby atu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:59 am

somedeadman wrote:Definitely take it in June, and not waste a take now.

As for working, I think that's up to you. Most people will say you should work, but if you don't have to, it can be nice to just focus on and worry about the LSAT. The first time I took it, I was working fulltime and trying to juggle work and studying was exhausting and frustrating.



That is really great to know. I just don't know if it looks bad to college admissions if I studied full time for half a year.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby Mikey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:33 am

atu wrote:That is really great to know. I just don't know if it looks bad to college admissions if I studied full time for half a year.

It won't. There are people who do this and get into good schools. As long as you have the numbers, they don't care what you did during those few months.

somedeadman

Bronze
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Advice Needed: Applying This Cycle or Next Cycle

Postby somedeadman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 am

Can we get a 3l or a post grad mutha in here?



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests