Adderall before the LSAT?

S.Picquery

Re: Adderall before the LSAT?

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:34 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Voyager wrote:
stego wrote:
Jetlife wrote:
Voyager wrote:and I'll reiterate: a substantial portion of your law school classmates will be on something like Adderall/meth/coke/stimulant to help with studying.

And they will do well.

I can understand Adderall and coke but meth? That's crazy.

it does seem crazy but tbf meth is a stimulant and is chemically similar to adderall

https://www.quora.com/Are-Adderall-and-meth-the-same

Adderall basically is meth.

I had one friend for sure develop a super serious business coke habit. That friend consumed $40,000+ in powder over 2 years.

Ended up at a V10 with excellent grades.

Adderall is not basically meth. Not defending off label use, but this statement is ridiculous.

Saying Adderall is basically meth is like saying Vicodin is basically Fentanyl. Both should not be abused, but one is orders of magnitude more potent than the other.

My partner, who is in emergency medicine, would like to thank you for making this point after reading the thread over my shoulder. Bless.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:47 pm

dabigchina wrote:Adderall is not basically meth. Not defending off label use, but this statement is ridiculous.

Saying Adderall is basically meth is like saying Vicodin is basically Fentanyl. Both should not be abused, but one is orders of magnitude more potent than the other.

You properly criticized an unfounded statement and then added one of your own.

bmathers

Postby bmathers » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Voyager wrote:
stego wrote:
Jetlife wrote:
Voyager wrote:and I'll reiterate: a substantial portion of your law school classmates will be on something like Adderall/meth/coke/stimulant to help with studying.

And they will do well.

I can understand Adderall and coke but meth? That's crazy.

it does seem crazy but tbf meth is a stimulant and is chemically similar to adderall

https://www.quora.com/Are-Adderall-and-meth-the-same

Adderall basically is meth.

I had one friend for sure develop a super serious business coke habit. That friend consumed $40,000+ in powder over 2 years.

Ended up at a V10 with excellent grades.

I take a small dosage of Ritalin through prescription, due to a TBI (only 10 mg twice/day). The generic form of Ritalin is called methamphenidate. It's different than methamphetamine (what is known as "meth"), but is along the same line.

As for using it - I can't read a whole lot without it, my mind is EVERYWHERE (and, not just with reading) - I randomly think up all kinds of topics. I am a teacher and my insurance company effed up, so I have not been on it since winter break (I hope to finally get my prescription filled tomorrow), and let's just say I'm one fun teacher with my elementary kiddos, lol.

The thing is, how it reacts with those who need it, vs those who "abuse" it is very different. The focus a coffee gives you is like the focus that these drugs gives the people who need them.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:49 am

rpupkin wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Adderall is not basically meth. Not defending off label use, but this statement is ridiculous.

Really? Meth isn't orders of magnitude more potent than adderall? Cite?

Desoxyn (pharmaceutical grade meth) is usually only prescribed in 5-10 mg doses max. In contrast, Adderall prescriptions frequently start at 20 mg/day and go up from there.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:22 am

dabigchina wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

You're the one making a claim—why aren't you providing a cite? Also, I don't think you know what "orders of magnitude" means.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:08 pm

dabigchina wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Desoxyn (pharmaceutical grade meth) is usually only prescribed in 5-10 mg doses max. In contrast, Adderall prescriptions frequently start at 20 mg/day and go up from there.

Heh. Oh its pretty much the same thing. Opiates are opiates, man. They do the same thing. Sure, its amusing to lay out differences in potency and yeah, much easier to die on fentanyl... but it's the effectively the same dang stuff doing the same thing to your body.

Adderall is just meth produced by pharmaceutical companies.

For the fun of it, here's a forum that compares the two: https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38087

S.Picquery

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Voyager wrote:Heh. Oh its pretty much the same thing. Opiates are opiates, man. They do the same thing. Sure, its amusing to lay out differences in potency and yeah, much easier to die on fentanyl... but it's the effectively the same dang stuff doing the same thing to your body.

For the fun of it, here's a forum that compares the two: https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38087

Sure, sure. But, like, maybe don't use meth? Just -- y'know -- if you have the choice of taking it, or not, maybe don't take it.

Grond

Postby Grond » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Bump

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Grond wrote:Bump

heh.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:02 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Grond wrote:Bump

heh.

When you're coked out on adderall, six minutes is a long time to go without a post.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:20 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Voyager wrote:Heh. Oh its pretty much the same thing. Opiates are opiates, man. They do the same thing. Sure, its amusing to lay out differences in potency and yeah, much easier to die on fentanyl... but it's the effectively the same dang stuff doing the same thing to your body.

Sure, sure. But, like, maybe don't use meth? Just -- y'know -- if you have the choice of taking it, or not, maybe don't take it.

Well that was my take on it. Some of my classmates felt differently.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

You're the one making a claim—why aren't you providing a cite? Also, I don't think you know what "orders of magnitude" means.

already gave mine. but go ahead and argue semantics.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=desoxyn+therapeutic+dose

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:01 am

Voyager wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Heh. Oh its pretty much the same thing. Opiates are opiates, man. They do the same thing. Sure, its amusing to lay out differences in potency and yeah, much easier to die on fentanyl... but it's the effectively the same dang stuff doing the same thing to your body.

literally the second post of your link.

Adderal is about 1/3 (approx) as stong as meth. The rush is not near as intense, and the comedown not near as hellish. Adderall is childsplay compared to meth. Adderall is far safer. Most meth is actually producesd in fairly much professional style factories in mexico, but the dealers on this end sometimes cut it. Do not be fooled to think that because swiy can handle adderal, that it is any indication of how swiy would hanldle meth, it is not.

stego

Postby stego » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:24 am

dabigchina wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

The first link says the usual effective dose of Desoxyn is 20-25 mg. My prescription of Adderall is 20 mg.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:07 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Voyager wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

literally the second post of your link.

Adderal is about 1/3 (approx) as stong as meth. The rush is not near as intense, and the comedown not near as hellish. Adderall is childsplay compared to meth. Adderall is far safer. Most meth is actually producesd in fairly much professional style factories in mexico, but the dealers on this end sometimes cut it. Do not be fooled to think that because swiy can handle adderal, that it is any indication of how swiy would hanldle meth, it is not.

Again: I get the dosage argument.

But fundamentally, it is the same stuff.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:01 pm

stego wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

The first link says the usual effective dose of Desoxyn is 20-25 mg. My prescription of Adderall is 20 mg.

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/adderall-xr.html
same website says 20mg for Adderall is a starter dose for adults. In contrast, the FDA recommends an initial dose of 5 mg for Desoxyn.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfd ... 028lbl.pdf

I have personally never heard of anybody being prescribed Desoxyn unless they have tried various other adhd meds and they have all failed.

amberb94

Postby amberb94 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Don't take adderall without a prescription. Just don't.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:39 pm

amberb94 wrote:Don't take adderall without a prescription. Just don't.

Why not?

amberb94

Postby amberb94 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Why not?

Different people have different bodies, he can't be sure that he'll react in a productive way. (unless he already said he has taken it before)

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:23 pm

amberb94 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Why not?

Different people have different bodies, he can't be sure that he'll react in a productive way. (unless he already said he has taken it before)

The bolded is true, but what does it have to do with having a prescription or not?

amberb94

Postby amberb94 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:48 pm

rpupkin wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Why not?

The bolded is true, but what does it have to do with having a prescription or not?

Because people who have a prescription have been evaluated by a doctor who believes adderall will be safe/beneficial. Just my two cents though.

Incrementalist

Postby Incrementalist » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Unless you are actually using it for ADD I don't think this is something you would want to do or put yourself in the position of doing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”