How to get -5 LR to -3/-2 consistently

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gopack24377

New

How to get -5 LR to -3/-2 consistently

Postby gopack24377 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:16 am

I seem to be stuck around -5 per LR section.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the stimuli, which slows me down. According to 7sage analytics, my weaknesses are (weaken how ironic), necessary assumptions, and pseudo sufficient assumption questions. I have previously drilled necessary assumption questions a lot, but found them challenging.

Does anyone who has broken this barrier of -5 to -2/-3 have any advice.

34iplaw

Gold

Re: How to get -5 LR to -3/-2 consistently

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:05 am

I sort of screwed the pooch on Dc LR, but one thing I found that holds a lot of people back from cranking out -1/-2 on LR is getting hung up on a question. Guessing 30/70 on a question in a minute is better than spending 3 minutes on a question (even if you get the question right 100% of the time) if it causes you to rush on the final few questions. This may not apply to you, but, if you struggle to finish sections, you may want to try coming up with a system where you just move on if you don't get it in the first few read throughs

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:10 am

34iplaw wrote:I sort of screwed the pooch on Dc LR, but one thing I found that holds a lot of people back from cranking out -1/-2 on LR is getting hung up on a question. Guessing 30/70 on a question in a minute is better than spending 3 minutes on a question (even if you get the question right 100% of the time) if it causes you to rush on the final few questions. This may not apply to you, but, if you struggle to finish sections, you may want to try coming up with a system where you just move on if you don't get it in the first few read throughs

I agree with this. I was scoring -1/-2 also, and then the Dec scores came out of nowhere for LR. Another thing I'll add is to not be afraid to skip around. If you are spending too long on a question, skip it and move on. If you see a really long parallel reasoning question, save it until the end. When you go back to a question you may have skipped for time, check to see if there is conditional reasoning or extreme language (like x will be y instead of x may be y) present. Often those are missed an end up narrowing two answers down to one.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:34 pm

gopack24377 wrote:I seem to be stuck around -5 per LR section.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the stimuli, which slows me down. According to 7sage analytics, my weaknesses are (weaken how ironic), necessary assumptions, and pseudo sufficient assumption questions. I have previously drilled necessary assumption questions a lot, but found them challenging.

Does anyone who has broken this barrier of -5 to -2/-3 have any advice.

is it per section or total LR -5? also for some people it makes a difference whether -5 is on old LR or new LR.

you should try to write detailed notes of your understanding why you missed any LR question, for all the LR questions you miss. it's very hard to do and takes time. but i think that's one reliable way to make solid improvement in LR. for some LR questions that I got wrong, i spent several hours dissecting it. and there were numerous such questions that each took so much time for me. Went -0 in LR total on my last administration.

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Last edited by Neil_Gorsuch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:31 pm

The same way you get to Carnegie hall.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�