Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
maybeman

Bronze

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby maybeman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:16 am

avily wrote:
maybeman wrote:What was the average of your last five PTs before the test?

Did you do anything special to try to adapt to the new misc. LG trend?

I think the range was between 174/175-178. The average was probably around a high 176, low 177. I crammed a lot of PTs at the end (would not advise), so all those 5 were taken in the last week. I never hit 180 cleanly going into the exam.

I did all the games that I had access to. I recommend now to students I online tutor to focus on older games. They're stranger and more unorthodox as opposed to the games between 40-60 for example. Doing old games can help you adapt to the unpredictability of the misc games. For my test, I personally had the virus games, which were definitely unorthodox, but I think if you approach it with a calm mind and an open-minded approach to diagramming, you can do it.

Thank you!

avily

New

Postby avily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:What were your other standardized test scores? What was your diagnostic score?

I received 2370 on the old SAT

avily

New

Postby avily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:29 pm

appind wrote:
avily wrote:Hi! I scored 180 on the LSAT and I'm here to answer any questions that you might have. I online tutor the LSAT and have 4+ of general teaching experience, so I am adept at connecting with general concerns and not merely speaking on my own experiences. I've read many of the other 180 guides on TLS and found them insightful. Now I'm basically here to offer myself up in case anybody has questions or wants advices! I also answer PMs. Hope I can help! :)

which ones you missed in the test, if any?

I'm not sure, haha, I took it at an undisclosed test center! The curve for that test was -2, that's all I know.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:39 pm

avily wrote:
appind wrote:
avily wrote:Hi! I scored 180 on the LSAT and I'm here to answer any questions that you might have. I online tutor the LSAT and have 4+ of general teaching experience, so I am adept at connecting with general concerns and not merely speaking on my own experiences. I've read many of the other 180 guides on TLS and found them insightful. Now I'm basically here to offer myself up in case anybody has questions or wants advices! I also answer PMs. Hope I can help! :)

I'm not sure, haha, I took it at an undisclosed test center! The curve for that test was -2, that's all I know.

undisclosed test within US or international? if it's an undisclosed test, then lsac wouldn't tell you the curve either.

avily

New

Postby avily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:11 pm

How did you incorporate the LSAT Trainer with the 7sage curriculum? Did you read chapters from the trainer that related with 7sage lessons or did you just read the trainer all the way through in order?

I mostly used the 7sage curriculum, but I also read through the LSAT trainer mostly near the end of my studying.

Also, did you have other commitments or were you prepping full time? What was a typical study schedule throughout the 4 months?

I was mostly prepping full time, although I travelled on and off during the summer. I started with LG, so I maybe did 1 month to two of just LG. When LG was about perfected, I turned my attention to LR. Looking back in hindsight, I think I should have started earlier with LR and also spent more time looking at RC. I crammed a bit at the end and was quite stressed out. I would still recommend spending some time on just doing LG though. It's good for learning the basics of conditional logic and it takes the most time to get up to speed.

Are you out of school or still in undergrad/graduate? What was your major? Just curious lol[/quote]

I am out of school and working now. I studied philosophy and political science :)

avily

New

Postby avily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:12 pm

appind wrote:
avily wrote:
appind wrote:

undisclosed test within US or international? if it's an undisclosed test, then lsac wouldn't tell you the curve either.

Undisclosed internationally but in the same time zone as the US, so it was the same Sept 2016 test as the North American one

avily

New

Postby avily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Also interested in this as well. Did you use any of The LSAT Trainer's study schedules?[/quote]

I didn't, but I think they are good, and I recommend them to students!

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:17 pm

avily wrote:Undisclosed internationally but in the same time zone as the US, so it was the same Sept 2016 test as the North American one

that's interesting. i thought if the test is undisclosed, then it can't be the same as the one in the regular disclosed administration. did you take it at a "non-published center" or under accommodations?

afaik if you took it anywhere outside US, then it shouldn't be the same as sept'16 test, even if the time zone is same.

avily

New

Postby avily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:21 pm

appind wrote:
avily wrote:Undisclosed internationally but in the same time zone as the US, so it was the same Sept 2016 test as the North American one

that's interesting. i thought if the test is undisclosed, then it can't be the same as the one in the regular disclosed administration. did you take it at a "non-published center" or under accommodations?

afaik if you took it anywhere outside US, then it shouldn't be the same as sept'16 test, even if the time zone is same.

Nope, it was a generic published center without accommodations, but I guess if it's in the same time zone, it's the same as the NA. They use the same experimental sections too

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:25 pm

avily wrote:
appind wrote:

Nope, it was a generic published center without accommodations, but I guess if it's in the same time zone, it's the same as the NA. They use the same experimental sections too

so it was an international non-US location but in the same time zone? then if it's the same test shouldn't you be able to see your IRR/answer sheet on the lsac web page?

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Others can chime in on this, but I'm wondering about doing 7sage/LSAT trainer at this point in my studies, and how helpful it would be.

I've taken the LSAT twice (169, 168), with over a year of prep. I used the PowerScore bibles when I was learning, and later used the Manhattan books as supplements with areas I was struggling with. Most of my prep has been doing and redoing practice tests.

I'm getting ready for the June LSAT by (re)doing all of the practice tests 2x.

avily

New

Postby avily » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:01 am

somedeadman wrote:Others can chime in on this, but I'm wondering about doing 7sage/LSAT trainer at this point in my studies, and how helpful it would be.

I've taken the LSAT twice (169, 168), with over a year of prep. I used the PowerScore bibles when I was learning, and later used the Manhattan books as supplements with areas I was struggling with. Most of my prep has been doing and redoing practice tests.

It depends I think on how comfortable you feel with the underlying curriculum. The 7sage material really goes over conditional logic and other logic principles. That's helpful but it may be unnecessary depending on where you are in your studying. You might be better off focusing on timing strategies or on drilling specific questions.Doing and redoing PTS has its advantages but also its disadvantages because you may not be learning as much from the PTs as you should. Sometimes taking a fresh eye at a new curriculum helps you expose gaps in your BR.

avily

New

Postby avily » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:04 am

Also I think a private tutor can help a lot. For example, I tutor right now online, and the students that I work with receive someone else looking over their thought habits, study habits, and approach to the LSAT. It helps to have someone to bounce ideas off of and to help you stay on track with your studying.

christmascookie

New

Postby christmascookie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi! Thank you so much for doing this.

I was wondering how your PT scores changed over time? I'm doing well coming out of the late PT 60s--got a 178 on PT69 today. But I hear things get considerably harder after the PT60s, did you see a change like this?

avily

New

Postby avily » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:03 am

christmascookie wrote:Hi! Thank you so much for doing this.

I was wondering how your PT scores changed over time? I'm doing well coming out of the late PT 60s--got a 178 on PT69 today. But I hear things get considerably harder after the PT60s, did you see a change like this?

I don't think things get harder after the late 60s. The late 60s are pretty hard haha!

My PT scores increased in plateaus. So maybe for 2-4 PTs it would stay around 169/170, then we'd break 170 and stay there for a bit, then it'd be around 173 for a few, until at the end when it was 175+.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:47 pm

avily wrote:
somedeadman wrote:Others can chime in on this, but I'm wondering about doing 7sage/LSAT trainer at this point in my studies, and how helpful it would be.

It depends I think on how comfortable you feel with the underlying curriculum. The 7sage material really goes over conditional logic and other logic principles. That's helpful but it may be unnecessary depending on where you are in your studying. You might be better off focusing on timing strategies or on drilling specific questions.Doing and redoing PTS has its advantages but also its disadvantages because you may not be learning as much from the PTs as you should. Sometimes taking a fresh eye at a new curriculum helps you expose gaps in your BR.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check out some other materials.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:49 pm

avily wrote:Also I think a private tutor can help a lot. For example, I tutor right now online, and the students that I work with receive someone else looking over their thought habits, study habits, and approach to the LSAT. It helps to have someone to bounce ideas off of and to help you stay on track with your studying.

I did see for a private tutor for a couple of hours before my first take, and I did not find him terribly helpful. Want to pm me your rates?

avily

New

Postby avily » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:53 am

somedeadman wrote:
avily wrote:Also I think a private tutor can help a lot. For example, I tutor right now online, and the students that I work with receive someone else looking over their thought habits, study habits, and approach to the LSAT. It helps to have someone to bounce ideas off of and to help you stay on track with your studying.

I did see for a private tutor for a couple of hours before my first take, and I did not find him terribly helpful. Want to pm me your rates?

Done!

j.a.p.1440

New

Postby j.a.p.1440 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 pm

avily wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:What materials did you use to prepare?

What was your diagnostic?

How many PTs did you take?

How long did you study for? About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before

Thanks for doing this! :)

- I used the 7sage curriculum, read through the LSAT Trainer, and I also looked a bit at the Powerscore LG Bible and read through the LSAThacks explanations online

- I didn't take a diagnostic because I thought it might be unreflective considering I had no experience with LG, so I skipped it to avoid a potential self-esteem dump

- I did all the LG I had (from 7 to 74) and I did timed PTs of 52-74

- About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before

I hate you... Not really, just super jelly.

Hot damn, that is so awesome!! Good for you. I too have used 7Sage but it hasn't been all that helpful for me. What was you regular study schedule like?

avily

New

Postby avily » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:28 pm

j.a.p.1440 wrote:
avily wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:What materials did you use to prepare?

What was your diagnostic?

How many PTs did you take?

How long did you study for? About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before

Thanks for doing this! :)

- I used the 7sage curriculum, read through the LSAT Trainer, and I also looked a bit at the Powerscore LG Bible and read through the LSAThacks explanations online

- I didn't take a diagnostic because I thought it might be unreflective considering I had no experience with LG, so I skipped it to avoid a potential self-esteem dump

- I did all the LG I had (from 7 to 74) and I did timed PTs of 52-74

- About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before

I hate you... Not really, just super jelly.

Hot damn, that is so awesome!! Good for you. I too have used 7Sage but it hasn't been all that helpful for me. What was you regular study schedule like?

Hi! I studied every day. I did the first two months only LG for maybe 2-3 hours. Then the last two months I really crammed LR (not recommended - start earlier!!) and at one point I was studying up to 6 hours a day.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:32 pm

What was your lowest PT score?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�