Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
avily

New

Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby avily » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi! I scored 180 on the LSAT and I'm here to answer any questions that you might have. I online tutor the LSAT and have 4+ of general teaching experience, so I am adept at connecting with general concerns and not merely speaking on my own experiences. I've read many of the other 180 guides on TLS and found them insightful. Now I'm basically here to offer myself up in case anybody has questions or wants advices! I also answer PMs. Hope I can help! :)

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Mikey » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Any tips for reading comp? I can never finish on time, and even when I do I end up doing terrible in the section.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:46 pm

What materials did you use to prepare?

What was your diagnostic?

How many PTs did you take?

How long did you study for?

Thanks for doing this! :)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:00 pm

White bread or whole wheat?

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:22 pm

What was the average of your last five PTs before the test?

Did you do anything special to try to adapt to the new misc. LG trend?

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:42 pm

OP is one of those genetically modified special humans that excels at everything

Ilovemydogxo

New

Postby Ilovemydogxo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Did you eat a snack during the 15 minute break? If so, what was it?

Also, I'm assuming you're not an URM given your score but would just like confirmation.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:11 pm

What were your other standardized test scores? What was your diagnostic score?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Also, I'm assuming you're not an URM given your score but would just like confirmation.

So people who are considered URM can't get high scores? What??

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Did you eat a snack during the 15 minute break? If so, what was it?

Also, I'm assuming you're not an URM given your score but would just like confirmation.

Yeah, I get the statistics about scores but don't say this, it's crappy.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:23 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Did you eat a snack during the 15 minute break? If so, what was it?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Instrumental wrote:

coming into this thread

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:39 pm

OP's not gonna want to help us now

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:58 pm

avily wrote:Hi! I scored 180 on the LSAT and I'm here to answer any questions that you might have. I online tutor the LSAT and have 4+ of general teaching experience, so I am adept at connecting with general concerns and not merely speaking on my own experiences. I've read many of the other 180 guides on TLS and found them insightful. Now I'm basically here to offer myself up in case anybody has questions or wants advices! I also answer PMs. Hope I can help! :)

which ones you missed in the test, if any?

avily

New

Postby avily » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:02 pm

Nebby wrote:White bread or whole wheat?

Probably whole but I secretly prefer white

avily

New

Postby avily » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:What materials did you use to prepare?

How long did you study for? About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before

- I used the 7sage curriculum, read through the LSAT Trainer, and I also looked a bit at the Powerscore LG Bible and read through the LSAThacks explanations online

- I didn't take a diagnostic because I thought it might be unreflective considering I had no experience with LG, so I skipped it to avoid a potential self-esteem dump

- I did all the LG I had (from 7 to 74) and I did timed PTs of 52-74

- About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before

avily

New

Postby avily » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Mikey wrote:Any tips for reading comp? I can never finish on time, and even when I do I end up doing terrible in the section.

RC is (unfortunately) acknowledged to be the section that is the hardest to improve on. It helps to have good reading habits, lots of experience and interest in general reading, and also specific background with philosophy, literature, and political science reading. I recommend focusing on the science passages first as a spot to improve. They're the hardest for unaccustomed readers because they can be dense and technical, but they are also the easiest type to improve on. Familiarize yourself with basic experimental design, the scientific method, and hypothesis set-up. Read old science passages and practice picking out the important details.

For the other types of passages, read for tone and argument structure . How does the author feel about the subject matter, and why is the author telling me this now in this passage/paragraph? Both 7sage and LSAT Trainer focus on argument structure. Don't read for detail (you can always come back to it when you see that a question asks for it) but instead read to understand the structure of the author's argument in the passage. Why is the author telling me this paragraph and what is the main idea. How does it lead to the next paragraph? Keep in mind that for LR, passages often start with context about the subject matter which turns out only to introduce the author's actual position (which is not the previous context). Learn to read comparative passages and anticipate their questions by thinking about how the authors feel bout each other's arguments. Comparative passages are almost always about overlap and disagreement between the two authors. I recommend reading the LSAT Trainer section on this for some discussion of timing strategies (it's normal to have questions per passage that you are unsure about!) The important thing is to make sure those questions don't become 3-5 minute time dumps. Learn to skip questions that you're unsure about so you have enough time to finish. Even high scorers have q's they're unsure about which they revisit later with the extra time they've saved up.

also one tip I have is to try and be really interested in the passage. read it as if you want to know and learn about what it's talking about. I find that this helps! Good luck!!!

cherrygalore

Bronze

Postby cherrygalore » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:14 pm

avily wrote:
Nebby wrote:White bread or whole wheat?

Probably whole but I secretly prefer white

so white then?

talking about the bread not about whether you are an URM lol what is happening in this thread

cm4998

New

Postby cm4998 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:26 pm

avily wrote:

How long did you study for? About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before

- I used the 7sage curriculum, read through the LSAT Trainer, and I also looked a bit at the Powerscore LG Bible and read through the LSAThacks explanations online

- I didn't take a diagnostic because I thought it might be unreflective considering I had no experience with LG, so I skipped it to avoid a potential self-esteem dump

How did you incorporate the LSAT Trainer with the 7sage curriculum? Did you read chapters from the trainer that related with 7sage lessons or did you just read the trainer all the way through in order?

Also, did you have other commitments or were you prepping full time? What was a typical study schedule throughout the 4 months?

Are you out of school or still in undergrad/graduate? What was your major? Just curious lol

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:51 pm

Do you lift?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:06 am

cm4998 wrote:
avily wrote:

How did you incorporate the LSAT Trainer with the 7sage curriculum? Did you read chapters from the trainer that related with 7sage lessons or did you just read the trainer all the way through in order?

Also, did you have other commitments or were you prepping full time? What was a typical study schedule throughout the 4 months?

Are you out of school or still in undergrad/graduate? What was your major? Just curious lol

Thank you for the awesome response, OP. I really appreciate it. Congrats on the 180!

Also interested in this as well. Did you use any of The LSAT Trainer's study schedules?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotTheNSA

New

Postby NotTheNSA » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:30 am

avily wrote:- I used the 7sage curriculum, read through the LSAT Trainer, and I also looked a bit at the Powerscore LG Bible and read through the LSAThacks explanations online

Sweet. This was my exact plan.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:42 am

I'm a URM and I don't think it was really that bad for you to assume this but since everyone is posting a gif

avily

New

Postby avily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:56 am

maybeman wrote:What was the average of your last five PTs before the test?

Did you do anything special to try to adapt to the new misc. LG trend?

I think the range was between 174/175-178. The average was probably around a high 176, low 177. I crammed a lot of PTs at the end (would not advise), so all those 5 were taken in the last week. I never hit 180 cleanly going into the exam.

I did all the games that I had access to. I recommend now to students I online tutor to focus on older games. They're stranger and more unorthodox as opposed to the games between 40-60 for example. Doing old games can help you adapt to the unpredictability of the misc games. For my test, I personally had the virus games, which were definitely unorthodox, but I think if you approach it with a calm mind and an open-minded approach to diagramming, you can do it.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:02 am

avily wrote:
RC

Thanks!! That was helpful!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�