Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
avily

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby avily » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi! I scored 180 on the LSAT and I'm here to answer any questions that you might have. I online tutor the LSAT and have 4+ of general teaching experience, so I am adept at connecting with general concerns and not merely speaking on my own experiences. I've read many of the other 180 guides on TLS and found them insightful. Now I'm basically here to offer myself up in case anybody has questions or wants advices! I also answer PMs. Hope I can help! :)

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Mikey » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Any tips for reading comp? I can never finish on time, and even when I do I end up doing terrible in the section.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3268
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:46 pm

What materials did you use to prepare?

What was your diagnostic?

How many PTs did you take?

How long did you study for?


Thanks for doing this! :)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Nebby » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:00 pm

White bread or whole wheat?

User avatar
maybeman

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby maybeman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:22 pm

What was the average of your last five PTs before the test?

Did you do anything special to try to adapt to the new misc. LG trend?

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby PrezRand » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:42 pm

OP is one of those genetically modified special humans that excels at everything

Ilovemydogxo

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Ilovemydogxo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Did you eat a snack during the 15 minute break? If so, what was it?

Also, I'm assuming you're not an URM given your score but would just like confirmation.

Hikikomorist

Platinum
Posts: 7788
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:11 pm

What were your other standardized test scores? What was your diagnostic score?

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Mikey » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Also, I'm assuming you're not an URM given your score but would just like confirmation.

So people who are considered URM can't get high scores? What??

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Did you eat a snack during the 15 minute break? If so, what was it?

Also, I'm assuming you're not an URM given your score but would just like confirmation.

Yeah, I get the statistics about scores but don't say this, it's crappy.

User avatar
Instrumental

Silver
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Instrumental » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:23 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Did you eat a snack during the 15 minute break? If so, what was it?

Also, I'm assuming you're not an URM given your score but would just like confirmation.

Image

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Instrumental wrote:
Ilovemydogxo wrote:Did you eat a snack during the 15 minute break? If so, what was it?

Also, I'm assuming you're not an URM given your score but would just like confirmation.

Image


coming into this thread
Image

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:39 pm

OP's not gonna want to help us now

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby appind » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:58 pm

avily wrote:Hi! I scored 180 on the LSAT and I'm here to answer any questions that you might have. I online tutor the LSAT and have 4+ of general teaching experience, so I am adept at connecting with general concerns and not merely speaking on my own experiences. I've read many of the other 180 guides on TLS and found them insightful. Now I'm basically here to offer myself up in case anybody has questions or wants advices! I also answer PMs. Hope I can help! :)


which ones you missed in the test, if any?

avily

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby avily » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:02 pm

Nebby wrote:White bread or whole wheat?


Probably whole but I secretly prefer white

avily

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby avily » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:What materials did you use to prepare?

What was your diagnostic?

How many PTs did you take?

How long did you study for? About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before


Thanks for doing this! :)


- I used the 7sage curriculum, read through the LSAT Trainer, and I also looked a bit at the Powerscore LG Bible and read through the LSAThacks explanations online

- I didn't take a diagnostic because I thought it might be unreflective considering I had no experience with LG, so I skipped it to avoid a potential self-esteem dump

- I did all the LG I had (from 7 to 74) and I did timed PTs of 52-74

- About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before

avily

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby avily » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Mikey wrote:Any tips for reading comp? I can never finish on time, and even when I do I end up doing terrible in the section.


RC is (unfortunately) acknowledged to be the section that is the hardest to improve on. It helps to have good reading habits, lots of experience and interest in general reading, and also specific background with philosophy, literature, and political science reading. I recommend focusing on the science passages first as a spot to improve. They're the hardest for unaccustomed readers because they can be dense and technical, but they are also the easiest type to improve on. Familiarize yourself with basic experimental design, the scientific method, and hypothesis set-up. Read old science passages and practice picking out the important details.

For the other types of passages, read for tone and argument structure . How does the author feel about the subject matter, and why is the author telling me this now in this passage/paragraph? Both 7sage and LSAT Trainer focus on argument structure. Don't read for detail (you can always come back to it when you see that a question asks for it) but instead read to understand the structure of the author's argument in the passage. Why is the author telling me this paragraph and what is the main idea. How does it lead to the next paragraph? Keep in mind that for LR, passages often start with context about the subject matter which turns out only to introduce the author's actual position (which is not the previous context). Learn to read comparative passages and anticipate their questions by thinking about how the authors feel bout each other's arguments. Comparative passages are almost always about overlap and disagreement between the two authors. I recommend reading the LSAT Trainer section on this for some discussion of timing strategies (it's normal to have questions per passage that you are unsure about!) The important thing is to make sure those questions don't become 3-5 minute time dumps. Learn to skip questions that you're unsure about so you have enough time to finish. Even high scorers have q's they're unsure about which they revisit later with the extra time they've saved up.

also one tip I have is to try and be really interested in the passage. read it as if you want to know and learn about what it's talking about. I find that this helps! Good luck!!!

User avatar
cherrygalore

Bronze
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby cherrygalore » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:14 pm

avily wrote:
Nebby wrote:White bread or whole wheat?


Probably whole but I secretly prefer white


so white then?

talking about the bread not about whether you are an URM lol what is happening in this thread

cm4998

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:08 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby cm4998 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:26 pm

avily wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:What materials did you use to prepare?

What was your diagnostic?

How many PTs did you take?

How long did you study for? About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before


Thanks for doing this! :)


- I used the 7sage curriculum, read through the LSAT Trainer, and I also looked a bit at the Powerscore LG Bible and read through the LSAThacks explanations online

- I didn't take a diagnostic because I thought it might be unreflective considering I had no experience with LG, so I skipped it to avoid a potential self-esteem dump

- I did all the LG I had (from 7 to 74) and I did timed PTs of 52-74

- About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before


How did you incorporate the LSAT Trainer with the 7sage curriculum? Did you read chapters from the trainer that related with 7sage lessons or did you just read the trainer all the way through in order?

Also, did you have other commitments or were you prepping full time? What was a typical study schedule throughout the 4 months?

Are you out of school or still in undergrad/graduate? What was your major? Just curious lol

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Nebby » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:51 pm

Do you lift?

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3268
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:06 am

cm4998 wrote:
avily wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:What materials did you use to prepare?

What was your diagnostic?

How many PTs did you take?

How long did you study for? About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before


Thanks for doing this! :)


- I used the 7sage curriculum, read through the LSAT Trainer, and I also looked a bit at the Powerscore LG Bible and read through the LSAThacks explanations online

- I didn't take a diagnostic because I thought it might be unreflective considering I had no experience with LG, so I skipped it to avoid a potential self-esteem dump

- I did all the LG I had (from 7 to 74) and I did timed PTs of 52-74

- About 4 months intensive, and I started looking at it a few months before


How did you incorporate the LSAT Trainer with the 7sage curriculum? Did you read chapters from the trainer that related with 7sage lessons or did you just read the trainer all the way through in order?

Also, did you have other commitments or were you prepping full time? What was a typical study schedule throughout the 4 months?

Are you out of school or still in undergrad/graduate? What was your major? Just curious lol


Thank you for the awesome response, OP. I really appreciate it. Congrats on the 180!

Also interested in this as well. Did you use any of The LSAT Trainer's study schedules?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotTheNSA

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:24 am

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby NotTheNSA » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:30 am

avily wrote:- I used the 7sage curriculum, read through the LSAT Trainer, and I also looked a bit at the Powerscore LG Bible and read through the LSAThacks explanations online

Sweet. This was my exact plan.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby PrezRand » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:42 am

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Did you eat a snack during the 15 minute break? If so, what was it?

Also, I'm assuming you're not an URM given your score but would just like confirmation.

I'm a URM and I don't think it was really that bad for you to assume this but since everyone is posting a gif

Image

avily

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby avily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:56 am

maybeman wrote:What was the average of your last five PTs before the test?

Did you do anything special to try to adapt to the new misc. LG trend?


I think the range was between 174/175-178. The average was probably around a high 176, low 177. I crammed a lot of PTs at the end (would not advise), so all those 5 were taken in the last week. I never hit 180 cleanly going into the exam.

I did all the games that I had access to. I recommend now to students I online tutor to focus on older games. They're stranger and more unorthodox as opposed to the games between 40-60 for example. Doing old games can help you adapt to the unpredictability of the misc games. For my test, I personally had the virus games, which were definitely unorthodox, but I think if you approach it with a calm mind and an open-minded approach to diagramming, you can do it.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Received 180 on Sept 2016 LSAT - here to answer questions and help!

Postby Mikey » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:02 am

avily wrote:
RC

Thanks!! That was helpful!



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests