Can someone help me with PT 53 s3 #25 (LR)

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sethnoorzad

New

Can someone help me with PT 53 s3 #25 (LR)

Postby sethnoorzad » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:46 pm

Hope this is within the rules to ask.

This was just one of those where I can can't make head or tail of the stimulus. The first part that stipulates that only issues relevant to the majority should be addressed is hard to factor in relation to the stipulation that a person isn't reuired to attend the meeting if none of the issues addressed pertain to him/her. If anyone had some tips, would be grateful.

Instrumental

Silver

Re: Can someone help me with PT 53 s3 #25 (LR)

Postby Instrumental » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:26 pm

All right, so we know that the conclusion (application) is that Terry should not be required to attend the 2 o'clock meeting. The premise this relies on is that "A person shouldn't be required to attend a meeting if none of the issues to be addressed are relevant to that person." So now we know that the 2'oclock meeting addresses no issues that are relevant to Terry. It is important that this aspect be a part of the answer be it directly or indirectly
We also know that in a meeting the only issues addressed are ones that are relevant to a majority of those present.
So that means that all of the issues being discussed at this meeting are relevant to more than 50% of the people there. And all the issues relevant to Terry are only relevant to at most 50% of the people attending.

Now we are asked to find the option which best justifies the conclusion (application).

A is wrong because it doesn't justify the conclusion that Terry shouldn't be required to attend. Even if it were true that Terry could only make a presentation on issues that are irrelevant to at least a majority, that doesn't thereby mean that he shouldn't attend based on the premises. Perhaps someone else can make a presentation on an issue relevant to at least a majority, including Terry.
B is wrong because there is nothing to say that Terry's presentation would keep the meeting from being short and even if it would, that doesn't mean there aren't any issues being addressed that are relevant to Terry and the majority of the people attending.
D is wrong because while true that a different set of issues will be discussed, pointing that out doesn't do anything to tell us that there aren't any relevant issues being discussed at this meeting.
E is wrong because while true that the majority of the issues to be addressed aren't relevant to Terry, that doesn't mean that there isn't one issue being discussed that is relevant to Terry and a majority of the people attending.
C is correct because if no issue relevant to Terry could be relevant to a majority attending the meeting then that means none of Terry's relevant issues will ever be relevant to more than 50% of the people attending, failing the prerequisite needed for it to be discussed at a meeting and meaning Terry is free from another boring office meeting.

sethnoorzad

New

Re: Can someone help me with PT 53 s3 #25 (LR)

Postby sethnoorzad » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:21 am

Awesome explanation. Very helpful. Thank you.

I think I was getting confused because I didn't understand what the question stem was asking. I was looking for an answer choice that was necessary to support the conclusion and I passed over (C) because I thought that it wasn't necessarily true if the conclusion were true. But the question stem says "which of the following, if true, most justifies the stated application of the principle?" Now that I think about it that way, [b]if[b] true that No issue relevant to Terry could be relevant to a majority of those attending the meeting" then yes that would support the conclusion that "Terry should not be required to attend the meeting".

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�