Recommendations for self study books/materials

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dm1683

Silver

Recommendations for self study books/materials

Postby dm1683 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:59 pm

I know this question has already been asked a billion times and I searched through the forums in order to find some kind of consensus on what the best study materials are. Obviously it's largely a YMMV situation but I value your input anyway.

For context, I scored a 160 on a cold diagnostic and am aiming for a 170+ (preferably 172+) on the June LSAT. My raw score was 79 and my individual scores were LG -13, LR1 -4, LR2 -1, and RC -3. Clearly my weakness is LG.

Here's what I'm thinking of buying:

The LSAT Trainer
Powerscore LG Bible
Manhattan LR Guide
PrepTests 42-71 from LSAC
7sage Starter Course (the cheapest one)

Any recommendations and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone and Happy New Year.

#gobroncos

Bronze

Re: Recommendations for self study books/materials

Postby #gobroncos » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:43 pm

dm1683 wrote:Here's what I'm thinking of buying:

The LSAT Trainer
Powerscore LG Bible
Manhattan LR Guide

Super subjective, as you seem to be aware, but here are my thoughts since I'm bored this evening:

I had the same diagnostic before studying and you've listed pretty close to what I'd recommend. I had the Trainer, all three Bibles, and PTs 40-76 (took all but four of them). Ended up scoring 174 on a retake.

If I could go back, I'd save money by not getting the RC or LG Bible. After seeing both The Trainer and the Bible, I really don't think there's anything about RC that necessitates a guide, rather it's a question of how much you're willing to practice. With LG, I like the Trainer better overall and think it's sufficient, but being exposed to two methods isn't a bad thing, nor is having additional curated games to practice on.

Having 30+ PTs is more than enough if you're not obsessive and study effectively. I only got 30+ because I studied for the test twice (Dec. 2015 and the most recent administration).

I only used the free stuff on 7Sage and didn't feel like I needed more, but you can determine how much you want to pour into resources. My advice is just not to be too redundant w/lessons on the different sections. Practice and discipline are far more important once a general understanding of concepts is achieved and any of the Trainer, the Bibles, 7Sage, et. al seem to sufficiently provide that understanding.

tl;dr You're good with that list. Practice lots. Love, Not-an-Expert
Last edited by #gobroncos on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:28 pm

#gobroncos wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Here's what I'm thinking of buying:

The LSAT Trainer
Powerscore LG Bible
Manhattan LR Guide

Super subjective, as you seem to be aware, but here are my thoughts since I'm bored this evening:

I had the same diagnostic before studying and you've listed pretty close to what I'd recommend. I had the Trainer, all three Bibles, and PTs 40-76 (took all but four of them).

If I could go back, I'd save money by not getting the RC or LG Bible. After seeing both The Trainer and the Bible, I really don't think there's anything about RC that necessitates a guide, rather it's a question of how much you're willing to practice. With LG, I like the Trainer better overall and think it's sufficient, but being exposed to two methods isn't a bad thing, nor is having additional curated games to practice on.

Having 30+ PTs is more than enough if you're not obsessive and study effectively. I only got 30+ because I studied for the test twice (Dec. 2015 and the most recent administration).

I only used the free stuff on 7Sage and didn't feel like I needed more, but you can determine how much you want to pour into resources. My advice is just not to be too redundant w/lessons on the different sections. Practice and discipline are far more important once a general understanding of concepts is achieved and any of the Trainer, the Bibles, 7Sage, et. al seem to sufficiently provide that understanding.

Edit: I don't have a score to point to that would make me an expert. I was PTing at 172+ for a couple months before taking the test. I feel confident, though, that whatever deficiencies I had were from different intangibles like lack of focus, misreads, etc. and not poor understanding of any concepts.

tl;dr You're good with that list. Practice lots. Love, Not-an-Expert

Thanks. I intend to practice lots, as you said. Making the LSAT a part-time job over the next 5-6 months. Wish me luck and thanks again for replying.

albanach

Gold

Postby albanach » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:14 pm

dm1683 wrote:I know this question has already been asked a billion times and I searched through the forums in order to find some kind of consensus on what the best study materials are. Obviously it's largely a YMMV situation but I value your input anyway.

For context, I scored a 160 on a cold diagnostic and am aiming for a 170+ (preferably 172+) on the June LSAT. My raw score was 79 and my individual scores were LG -13, LR1 -4, LR2 -1, and RC -3. Clearly my weakness is LG.

Here's what I'm thinking of buying:

The LSAT Trainer
Powerscore LG Bible
Manhattan LR Guide

Any recommendations and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone and Happy New Year.

I can't imagine why you would buy books on sections where you're scoring -1 to -4. Do you think there's something you could learn that would have helped with the questions you missed? Do you not know why you got them wrong and haven't been able to get an explanation here?

The LG Bible is great. With work you can and should get that section to -0. You likely already know that.

I don't think you should need anything further for the other sections other than practice. That said, if you find a weak area, don't hesitate to buy any book you desire. A couple of hundred dollars to get to the 99th percentile could be the best investment you'll make.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�