Old LR vs Newer LR

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gopack24377

New

Old LR vs Newer LR

Postby gopack24377 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:37 am

I regularly go -0/-2 in old LR sections timed, but average -4/-6 in the newer sections. I just took PT60, isn't really a pattern to the wrong answers. I think I may need to have an even clearer understanding of the logical constructs. Has anyone else noticed increased difficulty of later LR? any suggestions

Pozzo

Gold

Re: Old LR vs Newer LR

Postby Pozzo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:42 am

I agree that the stimulus in new LR sections tend to be longer/more complex than the older tests. However, the fundamentals are the same, and the questions are still asking the same thing. Like all things LSAT, keep practicing and drilling newer LR sections until you get more comfortable with it.

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:35 pm

The concentration of different question types seems to also change a bit over time, so pay attention to that. Especially focus on that when you take the PT's in the past year or two

connordalto

Bronze

Postby connordalto » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:03 pm

gopack24377 wrote:I regularly go -0/-2 in old LR sections timed, but average -4/-6 in the newer sections. I just took PT60, isn't really a pattern to the wrong answers. I think I may need to have an even clearer understanding of the logical constructs. Has anyone else noticed increased difficulty of later LR? any suggestions

Id emphasize: 1. Knowing causality 100%, 2. Principle Qs, resolve the paradox, and Flaws, and 3. Being able to handle tough science questions. Seemed to be a lot of the above on the sept/dec tests.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:23 pm

gopack24377 wrote:I regularly go -0/-2 in old LR sections timed, but average -4/-6 in the newer sections. I just took PT60, isn't really a pattern to the wrong answers. I think I may need to have an even clearer understanding of the logical constructs. Has anyone else noticed increased difficulty of later LR? any suggestions

I agree with what Pozzo said - LR stimuli have definitely gotten a bit longer and denser in more recent years, but you're ultimately dealing with the same types of questions. The same approaches that worked on older questions will work here, it's just a matter of putting in practice and getting accustomed to slightly longer, potentially more complex arguments. Don't let it psych you out - make sure you work through the preptests past 60, and you'll start to find yourself getting used to the changes in style.

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:40 am

Not all that glitters is gold. For instance, PT29's LR sections are, imo, brutal. It seems they start with marginally difficult questions as well which makes you question your sanity. I went -1/-4 on them and legit felt like 2 of the answers were bullshit even after understanding why they are right. Normally that happens to me about once every three PTs. Two on the same test made me want to pull my hair out.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:18 pm

Pozzo wrote:I agree that the stimulus in new LR sections tend to be longer/more complex than the older tests. However, the fundamentals are the same, and the questions are still asking the same thing. Like all things LSAT, keep practicing and drilling newer LR sections until you get more comfortable with it.

I agree. All things being equal, the new tests are slightly harder than their older counterparts. The test makers are compensating for an overabundance of prep material/companies.

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:17 am

Just did test 30 and I'm pretty sure it's the hardest set of LG questions I've ever done.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:52 pm

I agree the newer tests are more difficult, but I think this is reflected more in the reading comprehension than the LR.

j.a.p.1440

New

Postby j.a.p.1440 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:47 pm

AJordan wrote:Just did test 30 and I'm pretty sure it's the hardest set of LG questions I've ever done.

Weird, I did the same set not too long ago and I didn't find it too bad. Yet, for PT 66, I found the LG section in that test to be some of the hardest I have ever done. I simple one layer, 7 slot games turned into a complete nightmare.

I wonder if certain tests just agree better with certain people?

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 pm

new LR in 60s and 70s has some subtlety to it that's not seen in older LR. many people experience a drop in score in newer LR compared to older LR.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�