What Pencil Sharpener Should I Use?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Facelessgod

New

What Pencil Sharpener Should I Use?

Postby Facelessgod » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:16 pm

So after reading the "What #2 Pencil Should I use?" thread (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=206480), I went and bought a pack of Dixon Black Ticonderoga pencils which are pretty nice. I'm curious as to what pencil sharpener to use. I have an electric sharpener at home but am curious as to what some good suggestions for portable pencil sharpeners people have as I'm looking to buy one that I can bring around with me when drilling, taking practice tests, and eventually in my gallon bag when I take the real thing.

I saw this suggestion in the September 2016 Study Group thread:
Barack O'Drama wrote:I also got the Palomino Blackwing sharpener which is great for giving your pencil a longer tip.

So if you could share your recommendations for pencil sharpeners to use during prep and eventually on test day that would be great! I'd say the most important things are that it's smooth and allows for a longer tip unlike a lot of the portable pencil sharpeners that make your pencil tip obnoxiously short like a golf pencil.

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Re: What Pencil Sharpener Should I Use?

Postby QuentonCassidy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:27 pm

I call flame simply because of the implication that you read that thread and came away thinking that the Dixon Ticonderoga Black was the pencil of choice.

ETA: if you are looking for a serious answer (worthy of the hallowed thread you linked) I will say that I actually whittle my pencils so that I can customize their tip length. Now they are never too long (just begging to snap during a crucial LG bubbling sesh) or obnoxiously short (a la golf pencil). One caveat is that it takes a lot of time to master. You're going to need to pencil in some time during LSAT prep to get it down. On second thought, if I had just spent that time prepping for the test rather than mastering pencil-carving I might have scored better...

Facelessgod

New

Postby Facelessgod » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:44 pm

QuentonCassidy wrote:I call flame simply because of the implication that you read that thread and came away thinking that the Dixon Ticonderoga Black was the pencil of choice.

ETA: if you are looking for a serious answer (worthy of the hallowed thread you linked) I will say that I actually whittle my pencils so that I can customize their tip length. Now they are never too long (just begging to snap during a crucial LG bubbling sesh) or obnoxiously short (a la golf pencil). One caveat is that it takes a lot of time to master. You're going to need to pencil in some time during LSAT prep to get it down. On second thought, if I had just spent that time prepping for the test rather than mastering pencil-carving I might have scored better...

I guess I should have reworded it better - I've read some of the pages but not all. I based my conclusion off of the poll for that thread. Just out of curiosity, what did you use to whittle your pencils?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:03 pm

I heartily recommend the Palomino Long Point sharpener. It makes the points about 1/3 longer!

http://www.jetpens.com/Palomino-KUM-Bla ... ArDA8P8HAQ
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Facelessgod

New

Postby Facelessgod » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:I heartily recommend the Palomino Long Point sharpener. It makes the points about 1/3 longer!

http://www.jetpens.com/Palomino-KUM-Bla ... ArDA8P8HAQ

Thanks for the suggestion, definitely leaning towards this one right now.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Postby BobBoblaw » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:10 pm

There is no good reason to bring a sharpener on test day. Just bring more sharpened pencils.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:06 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:There is no good reason to bring a sharpener on test day. Just bring more sharpened pencils.

Yeah, and using the palomino long point sharpener, the ones you bring will last longer...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Postby BobBoblaw » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:There is no good reason to bring a sharpener on test day. Just bring more sharpened pencils.

Yeah, and using the palomino long point sharpener, the ones you bring will last longer...

Sharpen it with a palomino, sure, but no need to have the palomino with you on test day, unless you brought too few pencils

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:51 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Sharpen it with a palomino, sure, but no need to have the palomino with you on test day, unless you brought too few pencils

Disagree. You can never be too prepared. (Says the guy who brought 16 pencils and a sharpener.)

Another good option for a long-point sharpener is the Staedtler Double-hole Tub Pencil Sharpener.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�