Test Day vs. PT

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
i_Pernix

New

Test Day vs. PT

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:58 pm

In general, do people do worse, better, or about the same on test day relative to how they PT?

If you tested lower than your PT, do you have advice on how to minimize any test day dips in score?

defunct

New

Re: Test Day vs. PT

Postby defunct » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:05 pm

Last edited by defunct on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:09 pm

People typically score below their PT average. If the test is suited to their strengths then they may hit their PT avg or even higher.

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:59 pm

i_Pernix wrote:In general, do people do worse, better, or about the same on test day relative to how they PT?

If you tested lower than your PT, do you have advice on how to minimize any test day dips in score?

Do most, if not all, of your PTs in full LSAT conditions with a proctor app, and start writing your PT at 9 am.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:25 pm

galeatus wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:In general, do people do worse, better, or about the same on test day relative to how they PT?

Do most, if not all, of your PTs in full LSAT conditions with a proctor app, and start writing your PT at 9 am.

I think the OP was just curious. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=272266

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:29 pm

Mikey wrote:
galeatus wrote:

I think the OP was just curious. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&t=272266

Right then, ignore everything I said, I'm way outta my league here

*Grabs coat*

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Mikey wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Cool -- appreciate it. Just sitting on some anxiety and getting some last minute tips. PTing in the dining hall next semester.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:32 pm

galeatus wrote:

OP beat you. You suck

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 pm

i_Pernix wrote:
Mikey wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Cool -- appreciate it. Just sitting on some anxiety and getting some last minute tips. PTing in the dining hall next semester.

wait, you're retaking the LSAT??

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:35 pm

Mikey wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
Mikey wrote:
galeatus wrote:

I don't think so -- I think it'd be super unhelpful. And crazy. But the thought passed my mind because I was thinking of all my options. There's no way a few points will help. Best to just chill :{

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:36 pm

Mikey wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
Mikey wrote:
galeatus wrote:

I think the OP was just curious. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&t=272266

Retaking a 177 is the most TLS thing I've heard, ever

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:37 pm

galeatus wrote:
Mikey wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
Mikey wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Retaking a 177 is the most TLS thing I've heard, ever

I never should have even thought about it hahaha. I should have probably asked these questions the first time around...

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:38 pm

i_Pernix wrote:
I don't think so -- I think it'd be super unhelpful. And crazy. But the thought passed my mind because I was thinking of all my options. There's no way a few points will help. Best to just chill :{

what. why would it even cross your mind?? you're above 75th for LSAT/GPA everywhere. what

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:55 pm

Despite test day conditions during PT, I dropped 3 from my average, likely due to nerves/lack of sleep/a weird RC section.

laqueredup

Bronze

Postby laqueredup » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:35 am

Dropped 5 points from PT average. In part the problem
was ahem.... Hydration management. Didn't account for all the extra time checking in etc when I prepped... So take a few where you sit down at 9, start the test at 10... Abd double check the desk size to make sure your practice replicates test conditions ( little fold out desks in an auditorium are workable, but could cost you quite a few seconds of you aren't prepared.)The other problem was that I fell for the time sink game 3 before viruses. Be careful with the coffee, consider a double shot of espresso instead lol.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:00 pm

It varies, but I think most students usually fall within a margin of 3 points or so in either direction. Test day anxiety can be a limiting factor, which is why I recommend taking practice tests in conditions simulating the actual test. Do a test in a public study space, like a library, a classroom, or even the building where you'll take the actual exam (if this is a possibility, of course). Also, get a good night's sleep and stay healthy in the weeks leading up to the exam by eating well and cutting back on alcohol, etc.

When I took the test, I was very nervous during the first section, until I stopped myself and took around 15 seconds to take some deep breaths and tell myself that this was just the same as all the practice tests I had done before. After that section, I had calmed down and everything felt normal. I'd recommend practicing simple meditation if test anxiety is something you regularly experience. I did so daily in the month leading up to the test, and that's what allowed me to calm down and recalibrate so quickly and effectively.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:17 pm

-5 on Sept from PT. Mainly due to a rough RC early on which is/(was if most recent scores hold up) my weakest section.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�