Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
t14orbust22

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby t14orbust22 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:39 am

I am debating about whether I should take the LSAT in February and hope I get my goal score and if not retake in June, or if I should just wait until June to take it for 2018 admission? I already took the LSAT in June 2015 and did not get my goal score so I did not apply. I am testing closer to my goal now, but still unsure if I will get it. If I don't, I am fine retaking in June but I am worried that having three LSATs on record would put me at a disadvantage when it comes to admissions. I would love to hit my goal score and just be done with it by March so I can get an early start on the application process. Is anyone else in a similar predicament, or what would you recommend? I guess my question is would I be put at a disadvantage by having three LSATs on record instead of two? And what would a law school consider a "significant" score improvement over a previous LSAT? Any insight would be much appreciated!

User avatar
Milksteak

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby Milksteak » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:28 am

t14orbust22 wrote:I am debating about whether I should take the LSAT in February and hope I get my goal score and if not retake in June, or if I should just wait until June to take it for 2018 admission? I already took the LSAT in June 2015 and did not get my goal score so I did not apply. I am testing closer to my goal now, but still unsure if I will get it. If I don't, I am fine retaking in June but I am worried that having three LSATs on record would put me at a disadvantage when it comes to admissions. I would love to hit my goal score and just be done with it by March so I can get an early start on the application process. Is anyone else in a similar predicament, or what would you recommend? I guess my question is would I be put at a disadvantage by having three LSATs on record instead of two? And what would a law school consider a "significant" score improvement over a previous LSAT? Any insight would be much appreciated!


I took three times and luckily I hit my goal. Slightly outperformed my numbers in admissions at T-14s. Don't think it has a negative impact at all.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby KMart » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:28 am

Not really, no. A great LSAT score is a great LSAT score.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby etramak » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:46 pm

As far as I know, some schools officially say they average but they really only care about the score they report (the highest). Also, it begs the question what they would do for candidates like me who have a cancel. It wouldn't seem fair to disregard it (LSAC doesn't in terms of chances per 2 years). It also wouldn't be fair to count it as a zero or give me some arbitrarily low grade. Perhaps they could just double count my first score, but I digress. My point is if you improve your score, especially if its substantial, it's worth it.

I plan on taking it for the third time since June in February

User avatar
galeatus

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby galeatus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:57 pm

No.

/thread

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby Mikey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:08 pm

galeatus wrote:No.

Lawschool305

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby Lawschool305 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:41 pm

I dropped several points on my third take, and currently have had a great cycle. Take it three times, hopefully you don't go down lol

User avatar
Blueprint Mithun

Bronze
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:37 pm

t14orbust22 wrote:I am debating about whether I should take the LSAT in February and hope I get my goal score and if not retake in June, or if I should just wait until June to take it for 2018 admission? I already took the LSAT in June 2015 and did not get my goal score so I did not apply. I am testing closer to my goal now, but still unsure if I will get it. If I don't, I am fine retaking in June but I am worried that having three LSATs on record would put me at a disadvantage when it comes to admissions. I would love to hit my goal score and just be done with it by March so I can get an early start on the application process. Is anyone else in a similar predicament, or what would you recommend? I guess my question is would I be put at a disadvantage by having three LSATs on record instead of two? And what would a law school consider a "significant" score improvement over a previous LSAT? Any insight would be much appreciated!



No, getting a good LSAT score is much more important than how many times you took the test. Schools only have to report your highest score, so that's what factors into their admissions statistics. It won't put you at a disadvantage.

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby SunDevil14 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:05 pm

No, except for Yale.

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby appind » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
t14orbust22 wrote:I am debating about whether I should take the LSAT in February and hope I get my goal score and if not retake in June, or if I should just wait until June to take it for 2018 admission? I already took the LSAT in June 2015 and did not get my goal score so I did not apply. I am testing closer to my goal now, but still unsure if I will get it. If I don't, I am fine retaking in June but I am worried that having three LSATs on record would put me at a disadvantage when it comes to admissions. I would love to hit my goal score and just be done with it by March so I can get an early start on the application process. Is anyone else in a similar predicament, or what would you recommend? I guess my question is would I be put at a disadvantage by having three LSATs on record instead of two? And what would a law school consider a "significant" score improvement over a previous LSAT? Any insight would be much appreciated!



No, getting a good LSAT score is much more important than how many times you took the test. Schools only have to report your highest score, so that's what factors into their admissions statistics. It won't put you at a disadvantage.


does taking the test 5-6 times also not matter at all?

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:31 pm

appind wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:
t14orbust22 wrote:I am debating about whether I should take the LSAT in February and hope I get my goal score and if not retake in June, or if I should just wait until June to take it for 2018 admission? I already took the LSAT in June 2015 and did not get my goal score so I did not apply. I am testing closer to my goal now, but still unsure if I will get it. If I don't, I am fine retaking in June but I am worried that having three LSATs on record would put me at a disadvantage when it comes to admissions. I would love to hit my goal score and just be done with it by March so I can get an early start on the application process. Is anyone else in a similar predicament, or what would you recommend? I guess my question is would I be put at a disadvantage by having three LSATs on record instead of two? And what would a law school consider a "significant" score improvement over a previous LSAT? Any insight would be much appreciated!



No, getting a good LSAT score is much more important than how many times you took the test. Schools only have to report your highest score, so that's what factors into their admissions statistics. It won't put you at a disadvantage.


does taking the test 5-6 times also not matter at all?

Is the answer to this question going to affect your application strategy in any way?

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby appind » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:
appind wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:
t14orbust22 wrote:I am debating about whether I should take the LSAT in February and hope I get my goal score and if not retake in June, or if I should just wait until June to take it for 2018 admission? I already took the LSAT in June 2015 and did not get my goal score so I did not apply. I am testing closer to my goal now, but still unsure if I will get it. If I don't, I am fine retaking in June but I am worried that having three LSATs on record would put me at a disadvantage when it comes to admissions. I would love to hit my goal score and just be done with it by March so I can get an early start on the application process. Is anyone else in a similar predicament, or what would you recommend? I guess my question is would I be put at a disadvantage by having three LSATs on record instead of two? And what would a law school consider a "significant" score improvement over a previous LSAT? Any insight would be much appreciated!



No, getting a good LSAT score is much more important than how many times you took the test. Schools only have to report your highest score, so that's what factors into their admissions statistics. It won't put you at a disadvantage.


does taking the test 5-6 times also not matter at all?

Is the answer to this question going to affect your application strategy in any way?


I think yes. If it does, then any outside chance I may have at H or col would disappear, and I'd rather not waste app fee if there is no shot.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:04 pm

I wouldn't recommend not applying when you have numbers in range for a school you would like to attend

ETA: whether you have one LSAT score or 50

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby appind » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:25 pm

BigZuck wrote:I wouldn't recommend not applying when you have numbers in range for a school you would like to attend

ETA: whether you have one LSAT score or 50



I read on forum somewhere I think that more than 3 takes is kinda negative. If I had one lsat score, it's possile that i may have had a very very slim chance at H. but with my number of takes I am not sure if I have any to make app worth.

User avatar
aurelian

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby aurelian » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:30 am

Let's be clear -- still matters at Yale right?

User avatar
Incrementalist

Bronze
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby Incrementalist » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:28 pm

I always was of the belief if you had a great score that's all that matters. But I also think it depends on the point differential between the scores as well

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby appind » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:42 pm

aurelian wrote:Let's be clear -- still matters at Yale right?



Interested as well

Particularly in cases where the number of takes is 5 -6 or more for HYS

User avatar
Doutrinador1

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby Doutrinador1 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:50 pm

take more that three times count to harvard?

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby appind » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:56 pm

Doutrinador1 wrote:take more that three times count to harvard?


Curious also

Does it matter on the margins if you have 4 scores or just 4 takes (3 scores, 1 cancel)?

Similarly 5 takes but 4 scores vs. 5 takes 5 scores?

User avatar
Incrementalist

Bronze
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby Incrementalist » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:13 pm

I am a believer as long as you have a competitive score with significant gains that showed you put in the work to get better I don't see how it would effect someone in a negative light

User avatar
Toni V

Bronze
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby Toni V » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:27 pm

FWIW: The LSAT is not about you, it’s about the school recruiting the highest LSAT student they can, and of course, recruiting someone whose check clears.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby KMart » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Toni V wrote:FWIW: The LSAT is not about you, it’s about the school recruiting the highest LSAT student they can, and of course, recruiting someone whose check clears.

This. The thread should've ended awhile ago.

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby appind » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:54 pm

KMart wrote:
Toni V wrote:FWIW: The LSAT is not about you, it’s about the school recruiting the highest LSAT student they can, and of course, recruiting someone whose check clears.

This. The thread should've ended awhile ago.


This is true for vast majority of schools but may be not HYS. These schools can afford to let a low lsat or financially disadvantaged applicant in and reject a high lsat one who's willing to pay sticker.

User avatar
maybeman

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby maybeman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:21 pm

I remember reading something Asha wrote a while back about Yale looking down on multiple takes. A one point increase is still probably worth it for Yale if you haven't already hit 175+ though

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Will taking the LSAT three times hurt my admission chances?

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Just lol@ believing anything an adcom has to say



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 24 guests