160 Cold Diagnostic, aiming for 170+ on June LSAT, how do I start?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dm1683

Silver

160 Cold Diagnostic, aiming for 170+ on June LSAT, how do I start?

Postby dm1683 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here looking for guidance for studying. I just finished my first cold diagnostic test, the June 2007 test published by LSAC. Here are my stats.

Raw Score: 79 (-21)
RC: -3
LR I: -4
LR II: -1
LG: -13 (yikes)
And of course it comes out to 160.

So as you can see I did well on RC and LR but LG handed me my ass. I have until June to prep and I'm aiming for a 170+ for significant scholarship money at a T14. I have a 4.0 GPA through two and a half years of undergrad so I feel like anything less than that would be a waste. Any recommendations for study schedule and books I should get? I'm assuming I shouldn't spend the money on a course but maybe I'm wrong. Totally new to all this and would appreciate any and all guidance. Thanks.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: 160 Cold Diagnostic, aiming for 170+ on June LSAT, how do I start?

Postby Mikey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:23 pm

That's a good diagnostic!

Lucky for you, LG is the easiest section to improve on. For this, I'd recommend 7sage. Maybe you can buy one of their course packages, or simply watch the free LG explanations on youtube and learn off of those.

For LR and RC, it seems like you do know what you're doing with them but if you're into book then the Manhattan LR is supposed to be really good. 7sage's course is helpful for LR as well.

RC is kinda of a more personal section, imo, and since you went -3 on your diagnostic, it seems you should probably stick to it and just drill RC sections and review them.

Milksteak

New

Postby Milksteak » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:46 pm

That's a pretty good place to start. I second using 7 sage for LG. I had already learned on powerscore before I ever saw 7 sage, but after I had learned the basics and was just doing practice problems, the videos on 7 sage were what put me into the -0/-1 category. If I could do it all again I would have just done their course to begin with.

For LR/RC I would recommend getting taking two more PTs (or the equivalent number of sections), then put your results make an account at http://www.lsatqa.com/ Put in your results and it will group and graph them. If you are getting the same type of questions wrong all the time, then you will know how to focus. If you are all over the place it will be harder, but it is really hard to know how good you are at LR/RC without getting more data. At least that was what I found anyway.

I have no idea how good 7 sage is for LR because I never used them. I used both powerscore and manhattan books and I relied heavily on the online explanations https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/forums/logical-reasoning-f4.html of LR questions for those I couldn't quite understand after blind review.

From there, I just drilled, drilled, drilled to get my RC consistently to 1 or 2 wrong, but you may not have to. I didn't find any of the many books and articles I read on RC helpful. I really think it is about doing a lot of them and learning your own personal style. Blind reviewing after you finish timed sections was crucial.

Basically:
1. Start learning how to LG through 7 sage, working at learning each game type, drilling that game type, moving onto next game type, drilling both types, etc. until you can start doing full sections for practice.
2. Take those sections in LR and RC to get more data.
3. Start drilling LR questions that you have a hard time with and doing practice sections.
4. Start drilling RC questions, aiming for 8 min or less, and do full sections, shifting balance as you get closer to test date
5. Review everything you do blindly untimed before looking for help. This is the best way to improve because it forces you to learn.
6. Start shifting balance from drilling question types->full sections-> full tests as you get to test day, always reviewing blindy.

Good luck. You should be able to nab a full ride easy with some practice.

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll check out the 7sage courses and buy the Logic Games Bible that everyone seems to think so highly of.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:55 pm

If you can consistently perform that way on LR/RC you should be set for 172+.

Drill LG - they are the easiest to perfect (at least in my opinion) because every question there has an objectively "right" answer - aka you can prove it is right by checking off rules (rather than misinterpret a word in a question stem in LR/RC).

I'd recommend PS LG Bible. It took me from -4 cold to -0 in 28 minute sections in a month.

Good luck!

sharpie202

New

Postby sharpie202 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:25 pm

What are study/drill recommendations that you had for each section? Right now, I can get 3 games completely correct (unable to fully get to the last, sometimes can but time ends during set-up or first question). RC, I can get all 3 passages right with no attempt of last, or sometimes I am able to do all 4 with 3-5 wrong overall. Logical reasoning is my weakest, but I definitely can improve, since think this is one section time isn't as much an issue. When I go slow in LR, I cna get ~19-20 right. What advice do you have? Hoping to get my score to 168-170.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Set your goal to like 174+... for real.

For games, I think there is immense benefit to reading a few different systems and developing what works for you. I think it helps with games that do not necessarily fit neatly into one of the general few categories of games... this way you develop how to get through games rather than recognizing how to put it on a board.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�