THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - CONFIRMED GREY: 1/3/2017 @ 4:29EST

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

6%
175-179
6%
170-174
23%
165-169
27%
160-164
19%
155-159
9%
150-154
6%
120-149
5%

Total votes: 142

34iplaw

Gold

Re: THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - Yeezy Taught Me How to Wait

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 am

wildquest8200 wrote:I had a terrible first year, but I talk about it in my statements - do I really need a separate addendum, especially when I attach it as an explanation for academic probation? Was lucky to end with a 3.1 after freshman year. Really need these December scores back bout anytime now :|

What's the saying...

Brevity is the soul of wit...

Granted, we're not talking wit but being concise is, generally speaking, a virtue.

I agree that I don't think you need an additional addendum if you talked about it elsewhere.

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Re: THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - Yeezy Taught Me How to Wait

Postby Vino.Veritas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:36 am

Alright now I'm starting to get really nervous about my score... I kinda of like being in limbo because at least I can still have the hope of it being super amazing?

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:41 am

Vino.Veritas wrote:Alright now I'm starting to get really nervous about my score... I kinda of like being in limbo because at least I can still have the hope of it being super amazing?

Remember, you have a 120, a 180, and everything in-between until you open your email! When you open the e-mail, you collapse the wave function and only have the score there.

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Postby Vino.Veritas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:43 am

34iplaw wrote:
Vino.Veritas wrote:Alright now I'm starting to get really nervous about my score... I kinda of like being in limbo because at least I can still have the hope of it being super amazing?

Remember, you have a 120, a 180, and everything in-between until you open your email! When you open the e-mail, you collapse the wave function and only have the score there.

Yes! I'm currently trying to convince myself I'll be happy with any improvement on September.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:45 am

Vino.Veritas wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Yes! I'm currently trying to convince myself I'll be happy with any improvement on September.

My PT averages leading up to Dec has me wanting more than just any improvement :roll: ... I dunno... possible problem haha.

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Postby Vino.Veritas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 am

34iplaw wrote:
Vino.Veritas wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

My PT averages leading up to Dec has me wanting more than just any improvement :roll: ... I dunno... possible problem haha.

I feel that, my PTs reflected a 8-10 point increase. Trying not to get my expectations up though. I can't handle the crushing disappointment of September again.. :shock:

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:01 am

LSAC is not letting me upload my personal statement in pdf form even though it says it's an acceptable format. This makes me very very angry.

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:13 am

Instrumental wrote:LSAC is not letting me upload my personal statement in pdf form even though it says it's an acceptable format. This makes me very very angry.

Just restart your computer/browser and try again. Should work after.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:44 am

Thanks. I ended up switching to IE (ew) which worked for some reason, but it looks like a restart works as well.

Also I'm in the same boat hoping for a considerable improvement in December. Not going to even pretend that anything other than a much better score is acceptable. I did six points worse than the average of my last three PTs in September and this time around I improved that average by three points. On top of that, I left December feeling good about my performance whereas in September I knew I did poorly. My soul will be compacted to a near infinite density if I choked again. :\

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:01 am

Instrumental wrote:
Also I'm in the same boat hoping for a considerable improvement in December. Not going to even pretend that anything other than a much better score is acceptable. I did six points worse than the average of my last three PTs in September and this time around I improved that average by three points. On top of that, I left December feeling good about my performance whereas in September I knew I did poorly. My soul will be compacted to a near infinite density if I choked again. :\

Vino.Veritas wrote:I feel that, my PTs reflected a 8-10 point increase. Trying not to get my expectations up though. I can't handle the crushing disappointment of September again.. :shock:

Yeah... literally in the same boat... my Sept score was really low for me in every section, and I've improved my PTs quite a bit since then. So, I'll have to see what happens but my PT average prior to the September test was 4-5 points higher than my September score (in a pretty tight band) and my last several PTs (after devoting a ton of time to RC) was 4-5 points higher than my pre-September PT average.

bearedman8

Bronze

Postby bearedman8 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:23 am

Questions for people working on apps:

-If a box doesn't apply to you, do you leave it blank, say not applicable or N/A, just put a space, or something else? When I click to review my applications, there are a bunch of fields that say no answer provided. Things like visa number, military experience details, C&F explanations, etc.
-The applications that I've done have asked how many months of full-time work experience I have. If I've been working two 20-hour jobs since graduating, should I include that as "full-time work experience"? The box only allows numerical inputs. There's no specification in the "Instructions" tab.

Kinch08

Bronze

Postby Kinch08 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:29 am

Instrumental wrote:Thanks. I ended up switching to IE (ew) which worked for some reason, but it looks like a restart works as well.

Same boat. If I'm not beating my last score (which is from Oct. 2015) by at least 5, I'm gonna be disappointed. I know that I can get that score consistently, and I know that I didn't choke under pressure. If I miss it, it'll be because I made a bunch of dumb mistakes like I randomly do once every 10 tests. I don't even know what I'd do with myself.

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:01 am

StopLawying wrote:
emilycc1026 wrote:
theboringest wrote:
em15 wrote:
theboringest wrote:
em15 wrote:
theboringest wrote:Well I finished my apps except for some basic stuff and a final read through of the resume/personal statement, so when we get scores I'll be able to send them in...I only wrote "why X" for schools that specifically ask for it, anyone have thoughts on that? Should I do it for my reaches? Local schools that might think I'm not genuinely interested and treating them like safetys?

I'm where you are. I also only wrote "why X" for schools that asked. I also have a little at the end of my PS that mentions the different schools. If your reaches are T6, they assume if you get in you will matriculate, so they don't need a "why X". I've heard Michigan, UVA, Penn, and Duke like them for protecting their yield. I did one for the local school that I actually visited. Are you doing optional leadership, activities, and awards essays? I'm not sure about it because I'll be restating my resume.

Nah no to the leadership, activities, and awards- they've got my resume so it's just repeating. Good info on Duke/UVA/Penn though, thank you- I wrote one for Mich because it's listed in their prompts, but the others are definite targets of mine so I'll get those ready...I find the "why X" essays are easy tbh, I've spent so much time researching the schools it basically writes itself.

How long are your "Why X" essays? A page? I thought that was the way to go to not repeat my resume...makes me feel better I'm not the only one.

Yeah 1 page- no need for them to be too long right? Just enough to show "hey I know the important stuff about your school and am interested enough to spend time writing this".

I feel like I'm regurgitating things found on their website....is this normal? I mean what else is there to really say on a Why X besides mentioning specific things they offer? Also I mentioned family members having been in undergrad at some schools (UT), and that having family close by makes them a stronger option. Is that appropriate?

Definitely, those are good reasons.

+1, and check out the threads in the "Ask a Student" and the annual applicants threads here for specific things you can toss in there...for example, I really hit on Cornells small class size and how that appeals to me...

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:31 am

I have a good feeling about today!!

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:38 am

Goddamn why do schools ask you to fill out your employment history and academic accomplishments/club involvement...and also ask you for a resume? Waste of time, ask for one or the other.

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:10 am

bearedman8 wrote:Questions for people working on apps:

-If a box doesn't apply to you, do you leave it blank, say not applicable or N/A, just put a space, or something else? When I click to review my applications, there are a bunch of fields that say no answer provided. Things like visa number, military experience details, C&F explanations, etc.
-The applications that I've done have asked how many months of full-time work experience I have. If I've been working two 20-hour jobs since graduating, should I include that as "full-time work experience"? The box only allows numerical inputs. There's no specification in the "Instructions" tab.

You're getting me very nervous because I submitted a lot of apps already and never thought about this. Aren't a lot of the boxes dropdown, so there's really no option to put in N/A or something else to make the app a bit cleaner. I also had a lot of "no answer provided" and I'm getting scared that I perhaps did this wrong. I'm an OCD type guy and hate how the app looks when you preview it. It just seems a bit messy and clunky. Also feels a bit outdated.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Postby pleasesendhelp » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:21 am

bearedman8 wrote:Questions for people working on apps:

Blank. If an answer is necessary for one of those boxes then you wont be able to click save at the bottom without the website saying theres an error. It'll refrsh the page and say *an answer to #5 b) is needed* at the top.

emilycc1026

New

Postby emilycc1026 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Please today. Please :( :?

emilycc1026

New

Postby emilycc1026 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:08 pm

I refuse to let myself hope for a good score. When I refreshed in June, I was so devastated, I never want to feel that way again. It literally felt like a piano fell on me from the sky. I'm really hoping to redeem myself this time around. I'm struggling to come up with a score i'll be "OK" with tho lol :idea:

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:35 pm

I was thinking about making a joke about wanting to get away from winters in some of my "Why X school" essays for southern schools...yes/no thoughts? Idk if they'll appreciate the humor or not...

Kinch08

Bronze

Postby Kinch08 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:57 pm

My heart's going like the drum solo from the end of Whiplash.

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Kinch08 wrote:My heart's going like the drum solo from the end of Whiplash.

such a good film

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Postby Vino.Veritas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Instrumental wrote:My soul will be compacted to a near infinite density if I choked again. :\

[quote="emilycc1026"]I refuse to let myself hope for a good score. When I refreshed in June, I was so devastated, I never want to feel that way again. It literally felt like a piano fell on me from the sky. I'm really hoping to redeem myself this time around. I'm struggling to come up with a score i'll be "OK" with tho lol :idea:

I feel these in my soon-to-be compacted soul. I have no idea what I'm going to be "okay" with until I actually see the score.

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Postby Vino.Veritas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:07 pm

theboringest wrote:I was thinking about making a joke about wanting to get away from winters in some of my "Why X school" essays for southern schools...yes/no thoughts? Idk if they'll appreciate the humor or not...

I would say no. It's a bit of a risk for little benefit?

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Re: THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - End of Watch (Hopefully)

Postby Capt_Beatty » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Fuck it, I went to work today. Didn't have to but I felt like i was going out of my mind, sitting in my apartment mashing F5.

Now I'm at work doing the same thing..

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?