THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - CONFIRMED GREY: 1/3/2017 @ 4:29EST

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

6%
175-179
6%
170-174
23%
165-169
27%
160-164
19%
155-159
9%
150-154
6%
120-149
5%

Total votes: 142

jonny27

Bronze

Re: THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - Yeezy Taught Me How to Wait

Postby jonny27 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:55 pm

34iplaw wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
jonny27 wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
I'm going to defer to my favorite comedian, Louis CK, in this awkward, social media-bloodletting, moment.

"Also please remember that the turning over of one year to another is a mental construct that bears no more weight than the things that keep us apart and in competitive categories as human beings. Time is not moving. You’re not losing or gaining ground. You’re not separate from “them” anymore than you’re separate from your own umbrella. It’s now, we’re us and this is here. If you’re in pain, this too shall pass. If you’re in luxury, this too shall pass. Ask an old lady how she’s doing. The internet is not real. Draw a picture on a napkin." - Louis CK

Sure, that's the way to look at the world if you don't believe that anything humans do has or creates meaning. Pretty depressing perspective if you ask me, more depressing than being green as a gelatin gummy bear (that's green)

Well, there's no refuting Louis is a self-admitted depressed person, like most comics. But I don't think this is passage is depressing, although that could show how low my base level is for depressive/optimistic sentiments. I think it's more about not losing sight of the moment or the fact that we humans are a collection of experiences bound by our minds and not necessarily the passage of time, be it years or whatever. Meaning therefore is independent of say, your graduation in 2014 and your marriage in 2019, rather it affirms your being in the here and now.

I kind of agree with your interpretation. I also tend to loathe any quote that is deterministic in nature... which I don't really feel is present in this.

"the turning over of one year to another is a mental construct that bears no more weight"

Maybe you're right about his main point, but the premise he's using to get there is that mental constructs are not meaningful. That's what I'm referring to

em15

Bronze

Re: THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - Yeezy Taught Me How to Wait

Postby em15 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Rigo wrote:I think I'm done applying to schools this cycle. Well, waiting for Berkeley fee waiver but will probably submit next week even if I don't get one.

What's your top choice?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Rigo wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Rigo wrote:Just got Starbucks. No holiday cup!
Wtf is up with this WAR ON CHRISTMAS!

what did ya get!?!

Tall drip coffee.
Sitting here and getting free refill after free refill.

Nice! I've never actually sat there and taken advantage of the free refills, but I should!

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:58 pm

em15 wrote:
Rigo wrote:I think I'm done applying to schools this cycle. Well, waiting for Berkeley fee waiver but will probably submit next week even if I don't get one.

What's your top choice?

Honestly no idea.
Will probably just follow money unless I stumble into Stanford by sheer luck or something

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Postby Capt_Beatty » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:58 pm

34iplaw wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
jonny27 wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
I'm going to defer to my favorite comedian, Louis CK, in this awkward, social media-bloodletting, moment.

"Also please remember that the turning over of one year to another is a mental construct that bears no more weight than the things that keep us apart and in competitive categories as human beings. Time is not moving. You’re not losing or gaining ground. You’re not separate from “them” anymore than you’re separate from your own umbrella. It’s now, we’re us and this is here. If you’re in pain, this too shall pass. If you’re in luxury, this too shall pass. Ask an old lady how she’s doing. The internet is not real. Draw a picture on a napkin." - Louis CK

Sure, that's the way to look at the world if you don't believe that anything humans do has or creates meaning. Pretty depressing perspective if you ask me, more depressing than being green as a gelatin gummy bear (that's green)

Well, there's no refuting Louis is a self-admitted depressed person, like most comics. But I don't think this is passage is depressing, although that could show how low my base level is for depressive/optimistic sentiments. I think it's more about not losing sight of the moment or the fact that we humans are a collection of experiences bound by our minds and not necessarily the passage of time, be it years or whatever. Meaning therefore is independent of say, your graduation in 2014 and your marriage in 2019, rather it affirms your being in the here and now.

I kind of agree with your interpretation. I also tend to loathe any quote that is deterministic in nature... which I don't really feel is present in this.

Thanks, someone suggested on TLS to read an enquiry concerning human understanding by David Hume. I tried like 12x to get through the first passage, so unbearably difficult. The only saving grace of reading a philo passage on RC is that it's 60 lines, more or less. Also, I think the history of philosophy is much more bearable than the words of some 17th century dude trying to understand matter, like descartes or whatever. lmgtfy descartes

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Rigo wrote:
em15 wrote:

What's your top choice?

Honestly no idea.
Will probably just follow money unless I stumble into Stanford by sheer luck or something

haha pretty much same here. Really depends on this LSAT

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Mainly just applying to WC schools this round. If I don't like options I'll retake in June and apply broadly.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Alexandros wrote:Yeah it's mostly just the totally.

Haha yeah. Im sure there's at least one person on here who know me somehow. I already have some peeps from here added on FB, so being outed doesn't really scare me lol

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Postby Vino.Veritas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:09 pm

Now I really want coffee thx every1

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Postby Capt_Beatty » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:16 pm

Mikey wrote:

Haha yeah. Im sure there's at least one person on here who know me somehow. I already have some peeps from here added on FB, so being outed doesn't really scare me lol

It's the hair, those flowing locks of love.

like this.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:17 pm

cianchetta0 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

It's the hair, those flowing locks of love.

like this.

[+] Spoiler

those glasses

I want them

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Just logged into LSAC (still green, btw...) and had the sickening thought, "What if I did worse this time...?" :?

Well... Uh... Back to my coffee and shitpoasting.

cherrygalore

Bronze

Postby cherrygalore » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Pozzo wrote:Just logged into LSAC (still green, btw...) and had the sickening thought, "What if I did worse this time...?" :?

Oh god haha my stomach dropped after reading your comment (and I don't even have a score to do worse than haha)

Anxiety at a new high.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:25 pm

cherrygalore wrote:
Pozzo wrote:Just logged into LSAC (still green, btw...) and had the sickening thought, "What if I did worse this time...?" :?

Oh god haha my stomach dropped after reading your comment (and I don't even have a score to do worse than haha)

Anxiety at a new high.

Hahah, no kidding. The quad Americano may have something to do with it. But goot lort...

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:26 pm

you already have a sick score, but I'm sure you did better!

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Postby Vino.Veritas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:26 pm

I wake up every night at 1:40am with this same thought...

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:27 pm

That would be... soul crushing

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Pozzo wrote:
cherrygalore wrote:

Anxiety at a new high.

Hahah, no kidding. The quad Americano may have something to do with it. But goot lort...

Yeah... I've had those fears...and then I realize that September was way below my PT average... which was also lower than my pre-Dec PT average.

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Vino.Veritas wrote:

I wake up every night at 1:40am with this same thought...

The score in my mind keeps dropping :shock: :oops:

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Postby Vino.Veritas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:30 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Yeah... I've had those fears...and then I realize that September was way below my PT average... which was also lower than my pre-Dec PT average.

The only thought keeping me going

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:32 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
cherrygalore wrote:

Anxiety at a new high.

See, Sept was right at/above my current PT average at the time. My Sept-Dec PTs were all higher than my Sept score, so I'm hopeful. But every time I start thinking about those games... *shudder*

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:34 pm

Pozzo wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
cherrygalore wrote:

Anxiety at a new high.

See, Sept was right at/above my current PT average at the time. My Sept-Dec PTs were all higher than my Sept score, so I'm hopeful. But every time I start thinking about those games... *shudder*

TBH, I'm only worried about the curve being something absurdly harsh... Dec games were more manageable IMO... then again the two major things clicked for me.

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:37 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
cherrygalore wrote:

Anxiety at a new high.

TBH, I'm only worried about the curve being something absurdly harsh... Dec games were more manageable IMO... then again the two major things clicked for me.

I'm with ya there. Esp with the difficulty level of the RC (or lack of)

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Remember PT48 with its -8 curve.

;_;

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?