THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - CONFIRMED GREY: 1/3/2017 @ 4:29EST Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

6%
175-179
6%
170-174
22%
165-169
27%
160-164
19%
155-159
9%
150-154
6%
120-149
5%

Total votes: 143

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Re: THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - End of Watch (Hopefully)

Post by Vino.Veritas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:40 pm

cianchetta0 wrote:Fuck it, I went to work today. Didn't have to but I felt like i was going out of my mind, sitting in my apartment mashing F5.

Now I'm at work doing the same thing..
But you're getting paid to smash F5, I'm out here doing it for free

34iplaw

Gold

Re: THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - Yeezy Taught Me How to Wait

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Vino.Veritas wrote:
theboringest wrote:I was thinking about making a joke about wanting to get away from winters in some of my "Why X school" essays for southern schools...yes/no thoughts? Idk if they'll appreciate the humor or not...
I would say no. It's a bit of a risk for little benefit?
Yeah... I wouldn't... partially because I expect that it's not actually that original and it's probably received far more often than it should be from southern schools.

The Why Xs should probably focus on the specific aspects of the programs. That doesn't mean there isn't room for humor, but many of the statements are short and I've actually been struggling with the length requirements. They are about 25% shorter than what would facilitate really nice short blurbs IMO...

Personally, I am writing something that probably has some slight tinge of humor for why X to my alma mater, and I can forward it to you if you like. Ultimately, it's a Why X about a survey that used to be done biannually about things every undergrad should do before they graduate. It's largely cutesy and superficial crap that contributes to the experience, but it is quite readily apparent those are not key or important determinants of your UG experience... so I use that to basically try to come around and say that I want to go there because I know first hand how much there is to take advantage of and, while I tried desperately to do that for 4 years, there was so much more to get. I have to tweak it, but I do like how it is turning out.

Basically, I wouldn't use any humor in a Why X unless it is a school you have really close ties to and you can connect with the readers on a real emotional level with a humorous tone.

PS PLX DONT QUOTE

Instrumental

Silver

Re: THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - End of Watch (Hopefully)

Post by Instrumental » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Will be very surprised (and happy) if the curve is any better than -10.

gwillygecko

Bronze

Post by gwillygecko » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 pm

What do you think will be the number wrong for a 173?

In June, it was -11 for a 170 and -7 for a 173

In sept, -12 and -8

Sometimes a -11 allows 7 for a 173 and sometimes it allows 8. Sometimes a -12 allows 8 and sometimes 9.

Any predictions?

I don't think well be lucky enough to get a -9 for a 173, but maybe a -8?

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:49 pm

For those of you who put -12, I really hope you're right and I'm wrong

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwillygecko

Bronze

Post by gwillygecko » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Instrumental wrote:Will be very surprised (and happy) if the curve is any better than -10.
I think you're going to be happy since it's almost definitely going to be a -11 or -12. This test was harder than June's which was a -11, and September probably is an outlier because it was harder than most -12 tests.

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Post by Vino.Veritas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Instrumental wrote:Will be very surprised (and happy) if the curve is any better than -10.
There's no way it's better than -10. September was -12 and even setting aside how much easier RC was, the tougher LG game on December had less questions than the tougher one on September.

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Post by Vino.Veritas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:51 pm

gwillygecko wrote:
I think you're going to be happy since it's almost definitely going to be a -11 or -12. This test was harder than June's which was a -11, and September probably is an outlier because it was harder than most -12 tests.
I truly hope you prove me wrong

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:52 pm

gwillygecko wrote:What do you think will be the number wrong for a 173?

In sept, -12 and -8

Sometimes a -11 allows 7 for a 173 and sometimes it allows 8. Sometimes a -12 allows 8 and sometimes 9.

Any predictions?

TBH, it's hard to know. I think it really depends how people who typically score in the high 160s and above handled the fourth game. If that tanked a significant number of people, the curve could be more generous. IIRC, it also didn't have an abundance of the same A/C like Sept's fourth game did. Then again, it's hard to ascertain how high scorers felt about that game, as anything above a 167 is still better than 95% of test takers...

Oh... and to new comment gecko, I entirely agree. I am shocked the test had that low of a curve. TBH, I think it could be the fact that two sections had LONG strings of the same answer choice. The last game was mostly the most common letter choice. I wouldn't be shocked if that hurt the curve by a point. Either way, I still under performed and a curve that was one point more generous would not have changed that. I do think that the curve was uncharacteristically harsh for that difficulty of test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:52 pm

gwillygecko wrote:What do you think will be the number wrong for a 173?

In sept, -12 and -8

Any predictions?

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it will be more generous. The LG was the hardest this time, and I think higher scorers were way more likely to find the inferences, so that will play into the curve. I think it's possible the 160 curve will be more generous cause they were probably more likely to miss the inferences

cherrygalore

Bronze

Post by cherrygalore » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm nervous :oops:

gwillygecko

Bronze

Re: THE [OFFICIAL] The Official December 2016 Waiters' Thread - Yeezy Taught Me How to Wait

Post by gwillygecko » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:53 pm

theboringest wrote:I was thinking about making a joke about wanting to get away from winters in some of my "Why X school" essays for southern schools...yes/no thoughts? Idk if they'll appreciate the humor or not...
weather/climate is a perfectly acceptable and legitimate reason for wanting to live somewhere for three years, so I think you should include it

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:53 pm

fingers crossed 4 y'all <3

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Vino.Veritas wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:Fuck it, I went to work today. Didn't have to but I felt like i was going out of my mind, sitting in my apartment mashing F5.

True, this is true.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:58 pm

get the Ron Paul gifs queued up...

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:59 pm

cherrygalore wrote:I'm nervous :oops:
I think you got a 179

ms. elle woods

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:01 pm

I have a feeling scores aren't coming out today, or maybe I'm just jaded from being a September waiter. Anyways, if I score higher than Sept. no retake necessary.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:02 pm

gwillygecko wrote:
weather/climate is a perfectly acceptable and legitimate reason for wanting to live somewhere for three years, so I think you should include it
I don't disagree with your reasoning, but I just don't think it is a compelling reason for a particular law school.

So... I reread what theboringest actually asked, and I don't think it's necessarily bad. I think it can be tricky and it definitely should not be to the detriment of the rest of the statement... i.e. condensing programs they offer of interest... or compose the bulk of the statement.

I was thinking that for UVA you could do a light hearted quip at weathers in Ann Arbor... granted, that's probably not a great idea even though I would have a sensible chuckle reading it.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:03 pm

cianchetta0 wrote:I have a feeling scores aren't coming out today, or maybe I'm just jaded from being a September waiter. Anyways, if I score higher than Sept. no retake necessary.
I'm willing to be my TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT September score that today is the day

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:05 pm

Mikey wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:I have a feeling scores aren't coming out today, or maybe I'm just jaded from being a September waiter. Anyways, if I score higher than Sept. no retake necessary.
I'm willing to be my TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT September score that today is the day
I remember, it wasn't that bad. more like, TT, or T with luck.

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:05 pm

cianchetta0 wrote:
Vino.Veritas wrote:

True, this is true.
Step yo game up with an auto tab refreshing add-on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Post by Vino.Veritas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Instrumental wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
Vino.Veritas wrote:

True, this is true.
I think doing it manually helps me maintain some semblance of control.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Most places are still closed today, including banks. I'm not sure they'll be out today, however, who knows?

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Vino.Veritas wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:
Vino.Veritas wrote:

True, this is true.
I think doing it manually helps me maintain some semblance of control.
"I am the one who hits F5".

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”