LSAT Testing Date (Deployment Related)

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Sackcrete

New

LSAT Testing Date (Deployment Related)

Postby Sackcrete » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Greetings Everyone,

I have been browsing these forums ever since the prospect of Law School, and becoming an attorney, first perused through my thoughts. I have been working tirelessly to achieve my goals, and with most things, have hit yet another "speed-bump" that I could use advice for. To get a sure answer, I first am obliged to give you a quick rundown of my present situation.

I am an active duty member of the United States Air Force. I am enlisted, and will have served approximately 8 honorable years by the time my most recent contract expires. I have a family, a wife and two beautiful daughters, and we are all going to separate January 2018 so Dad can pursue his goal of attending a top law school. I will have my Bachelor's completed approximately November 2017 and am graduating with honors (~3.8 GPA). I had originally planned on taking the LSAT in June to give myself ample time to apply to law schools for the August 2018 school year, however I am now being tasked with deploying from approximately March - November. Get your last few months out of me, Uncle Sam!

My main question, although there are many, is how do I go about taking the LSAT and applying to the top law schools for August 2018 if I am going to be deployed until at least November 2017? Does this kill my chances of being accepted or even trying to get accepted by August 2018? I have two little ones and a wife that depend on dads income, and if I cannot get into a law school by 2018, it will be that much longer before we can reap the rewards of the GI Bill we have earned.

I'm scared that I will separate and not find work between January 2018 and whenever I can get accepted into a school. I can only hope it won't be too long of a gap as I am already 28 years old as of this date.

TLDR; Quick timeline:

-Receive Bachelor's degree November 15, 2017
-Won't be back in America until at least November 2017
-Separating from the military January 2018
-Ideally, want to have a chance at going to a top 20 school August 2018
-When do I take the LSAT?

Thank you, so much, to everyone for your time. Have a great day.

amta

Platinum

Re: LSAT Testing Date (Deployment Related)

Postby amta » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:53 pm

December 2017 or February 2018.

Idk how easy it'll be to study during deployment, but I guess that'll depend on where you're at.

Sackcrete

New

Postby Sackcrete » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:12 pm

amta wrote:December 2017 or February 2018.

Idk how easy it'll be to study during deployment, but I guess that'll depend on where you're at.

Thank you.

I will definitely make studying a priority no matter how rigorous the deployment becomes. Would there be a benefit, entirely, to take it in December instead of February? The month I choose to take the LSAT will determine if I take it in Florida (duty station) or Illinois (home of record). Will February be too late to have it counted towards my application for the August 2018 school year?

Also, I've heard rumblings of test during certain months not providing you with your score?

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:19 pm

Sackcrete wrote:
amta wrote:December 2017 or February 2018.

Thank you.

I will definitely make studying a priority no matter how rigorous the deployment becomes. Would there be a benefit, entirely, to take it in December instead of February? The month I choose to take the LSAT will determine if I take it in Florida (duty station) or Illinois (home of record). Will February be too late to have it counted towards my application for the August 2018 school year?

Also, I've heard rumblings of test during certain months not providing you with your score?

December is definitely the priority. Most T-14 schools don't even consider the Feb. LSAT for admission. You can take Feb. to attempt to get off waitlists or negotiate for scholly.

JazzyMac

Bronze

Postby JazzyMac » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:00 am

The February tests are undisclosed--you'll get your scores, but not much else.

Consider taking the LSAT outside your current window (like before). The score is good for five years. Less to worry about when it comes time to separate/apply for school.

Check out the Veterans thread if you haven't already.

Best wishes!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�