The RC question

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
tracy9524

New

The RC question

Postby tracy9524 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:43 am

I've read through many old posts on RC but haven't found a satisfying answer to this: how do I improve accuracy in timed session?

I drilled almost all the RC from the beginning, and I do a pretty good job in the old ones (-1 to -2). However, when I do the more recent RC, I tend to do a lot worse (-5 to -7). I've tried to do RC untimed and things were a lot better. I think my problem lies in comprehension. It takes longer for me to understand hard passages.

I am going to retake in Fed, and RC is my only obstacle to 170+. Since I've burned out all the PTs, any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks!

airwrecka

Silver

Re: The RC question

Postby airwrecka » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:09 pm

For me, RC seems pretty easy/straightforward, and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I love reading and do it all the time (for pleasure and learning). My major also involved hundreds of pages of dense reading a week.

Therefore my suggestion to you is: read! If you don't already, spend time reading for pleasure (rather than scrolling the internet for example), and choose books (whether fiction or nonfiction) that are challenging. If you're a fiction-lover, perhaps reading books that have antiquated language could be of use. Avoid easy page-turners, because while fun, they aren't going to strengthen the abilities you need on the LSAT.

I would also suggest, as some have on TLS before, that you start reading magazines like the Economist that have a lot of dense material of similar subject matter to the RC passages in an LSAT. Maybe even look up journal articles (try Google Scholar) about anything (from a scholarly source that is). Journal articles are usually really dense and boring, but similar in style to some of the RC passages.

The more often you read material like what you would face in an LSAT, you'll be able to strengthen your comprehension and speed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�