How do you master logic games?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hitleresque

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:06 pm

How do you master logic games?

Postby hitleresque » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:14 pm

For the past couple of weeks I've been studying off of the Powerscore Logic Games Bible, 2013. I can pretty much do every game in that book in 5 to 10 minutes with 0-1 wrong answers. But I have a feeling that there are still a lot of other kinds of logic games that I haven't done yet. Ones that the Powerscore Bible hasn't covered yet. I want to make sure that I can handle most of the games that the test throws at me on exam day. So I downloaded all of the previous exams from 91 to the present. Which of those exams should I study to make sure I have logic games down? Should it be the oldest ones? The newest ones? the ones in the middle, like from 2000 to 2004? How many of those different exams should I take? How do I know that I've gotten to the point where I can handle any game that is thrown at me?

User avatar
bearedman8

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:43 am

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby bearedman8 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:20 pm

Do all of them. Multiple times, ideally. Logic games is learned by repetition, and it's absolutely possible to consistently go -0/-1 after doing enough of them. There are only so many inferences that LSAC can test you on with a standard game, and there comes a point where you've done enough of these inferences that they'll come naturally and quickly. I don't know if there's necessarily a point when they "click" and you know that you've got it, and it's always a possibility that you make some unfortunate mistake and don't go -0 on the actual exam regardless of your practice, but there should come a time when you feel reasonably confident in games and you'll know it.

The newer games are probably more reflective of what will actually be on the exam, but the vasts majority of games are just simple modifications of common sequencing/grouping games. There are some good miscellaneous games in the early PTs and also in some of the very recent PTs. If you've downloaded them all, though, just do as many of them as you can. I'd recommend that you watch the 7sage tutorial after you finish each game, too.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby Mikey » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:56 pm

Do them all, do by game type, do full sections, do the same games over several times, do them all a million times (not literally but you get the idea)

hitleresque

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby hitleresque » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:53 pm

But aren't there over 70 practice exams? I have to take the test in February, so I don't think I would be able to do all of the logic games in each of those tests...

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:58 pm

hitleresque wrote:But aren't there over 70 practice exams? I have to take the test in February, so I don't think I would be able to do all of the logic games in each of those tests...


y tho?

but to add my 2 cents to your question, PithyPike's guide got me semi guru level on LG try that.

User avatar
maybeman

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby maybeman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Do a daily LG section outside of your PTs and foolproof each. If you're PTing once or twice a week, that'll probably be enough before the Feb test

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Drill until it's second nature. Like sit down with a stack of 10-30 games and go through every single one, timing yourself with a stopwatch and looking up the free video explanation on 7sage whenever you can't figure out a game. Do that every other day for a month or so, and you'll improve.

That method got me from scoring ~50% to getting consistent perfect scores (and -1 on the real test).

The best resources for drilling are the Cambridge packets, which are the games from the first 30 tests categorized by type and ordered by difficulty. But idk if they're available anymore.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby KMart » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:43 pm

1. learn how to frame the game by diagramming the facts
2. practice

it comes with time but it's probably the most learnable section of the 3.

hitleresque

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby hitleresque » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:47 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
hitleresque wrote:But aren't there over 70 practice exams? I have to take the test in February, so I don't think I would be able to do all of the logic games in each of those tests...


y tho?

but to add my 2 cents to your question, PithyPike's guide got me semi guru level on LG try that.


I don't know. Do you think it would be possible? It took me a full two weeks to master the powerscore bible, and that had a total of approximately 24 different games. That's about 6 exams worth of games, right? So it took me two weeks to go through six exams. I'm not that smart, so I imagine everyone else can breeze through in a much shorter period of time. Then again, maybe I can do them faster because I mastered the powerscore bible. I don't know. I think I'm overthinking it. I also need to reserve time to take complete PTs. This is all very confusing and overwhelming.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby Mikey » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:58 pm

hitleresque wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
hitleresque wrote:But aren't there over 70 practice exams? I have to take the test in February, so I don't think I would be able to do all of the logic games in each of those tests...


y tho?

but to add my 2 cents to your question, PithyPike's guide got me semi guru level on LG try that.


I don't know. Do you think it would be possible? It took me a full two weeks to master the powerscore bible, and that had a total of approximately 24 different games. That's about 6 exams worth of games, right? So it took me two weeks to go through six exams. I'm not that smart, so I imagine everyone else can breeze through in a much shorter period of time. Then again, maybe I can do them faster because I mastered the powerscore bible. I don't know. I think I'm overthinking it. I also need to reserve time to take complete PTs. This is all very confusing and overwhelming.

Yeah it's a pressuring test but in your case it's only confusing and overwhelming because you're stressing yourself trying to learn it all in a very short amount of time. Do you HAVE to take in February??

Either way, just do as many game sections as you can from now until that point. It's literally the only way to master them unless you're intuitively good at them. Use the most recent PTs as actual timed PTs, and use the PTs you have that are older to drill games.

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:02 pm

hitleresque wrote:It took me a full two weeks to master the powerscore bible, and that had a total of approximately 24 different games. That's about 6 exams worth of games, right? So it took me two weeks to go through six exams. I'm not that smart


Those first games are the hardest because you're learning the underlying patterns, which apply to all other games. Once you know how a linear game works, how a grouping game works, what the common tricks are, etc., your speed will improve dramatically.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby KMart » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:06 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
hitleresque wrote:It took me a full two weeks to master the powerscore bible, and that had a total of approximately 24 different games. That's about 6 exams worth of games, right? So it took me two weeks to go through six exams. I'm not that smart


Those first games are the hardest because you're learning the underlying patterns, which apply to all other games. Once you know how a linear game works, how a grouping game works, what the common tricks are, etc., your speed will improve dramatically.

Exactly this. it's about grasping the basic framework of the game. then it's just about nailing it down to be automatic from drilling.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby addie1412 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:36 pm

If you nail those first two dozen or so games, you can pretty much just whip through the rest in no time.

hitleresque

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: How do you master logic games?

Postby hitleresque » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:02 am

Thanks all for the wonderful replies. I'll taken them into account and hopefully have a more focused study plan from here on out.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests