For those who do blind review, what is the difference between your timed and untimed scores?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cctv

New

For those who do blind review, what is the difference between your timed and untimed scores?

Postby cctv » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Scoring in the mid 150s timed but going -3 to -5 after blind review. How typical is this? Assuming I'm not an anomaly is it reasonable to expect those who can score in the 160s and above to go -0 or there about when given whatever time is needed to read, reread and consider all problems thoroughly?

I feel like there are always going to be those handful of weird modern RC questions and agonizing structural LR questions (the ones I can't seem to get no matter how closely or repetitively I read a passage) that require superior comprehension skills, and whose difficulty isn't hugely abated when time constraints are absent.

I'm also interested if there are people who are quick and who score in the upper ranges but who nevertheless can't go -0 on an untimed test.

Replies and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

cctv

New

Re: For those who do blind review, what is the difference between your timed and untimed scores?

Postby cctv » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:24 am

Just did pt 68 and got 70/101 timed and 100/101 after review. I've searched and I can't seem to find people who experience a 20-25 point gap between their timed and untimed scores.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Re: For those who do blind review, what is the difference between your timed and untimed scores?

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:04 pm

How long are you spending untimed?

If it's a TON of time, then possibly you're spending a lot more time than others are, which might partially explain a lack of similar accounts.

cctv

New

Postby cctv » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Obviously that could be it. I probably spend about an hour on each section untimed, but there are those handful of questions on each test that I'll spend 15-20 minutes agonizing over.

Still, I've always assumed the content of the LSAT, and not just the performance of it, accounts for a lot of its difficulty. But how could someone who's struggling to break 160 be able to reason themselves to a 180? I don't know if this is normal or if I should look at other factors that could explain this disparity.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Fwiw, if I spent an hour on each section, I would probably go mid 170ish?

I was PT'ing a little over 165 but under 170.

LR I'd likely go -1/0, but RC would probably get 1-2 wrong.

The rest would be errors on LG.

It maybe seems slightly strange, but not THAT strange.

It's obviously better than getting more errors on BR.

Maybe you're a slower reader? Or just need to be more decisive?

What are you looking to get out of the answers to your question? I'm just curious.

cctv

New

Postby cctv » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:29 pm

I'm 23 and I've never been a huge reader. It's a skill I really haven't developed. RC is painful for me but once I've actually comprehended the passage the questions, while difficult, are doable. It often takes 2 or 3 readings of a passage for me to feel comfortable with it. Same with LR: if i can read a question 2 or 3 times the assumptions/logical gaps/parallels don't escape me.

I really don't know if I'm scoring in the mid 150s because of my reading ability and I should do something about it or if this is just completely normal and I should set realistic performance goals.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:46 pm

How long does it take you to read the passage once?

How long to read it as many times as required to go say, -5 or better?

What is your current breakdown per section?

cctv

New

Postby cctv » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:57 pm

It takes 2-3mins to read a passage on average. The problem comes when I haven't picked up on crucial things such as authors tone/stance and therefore many of the answers are colored by my incorrect assessment. In this situation I'm helpless unless I can reread the passage in full one or two more times.

My problems with LR are similar to those of RC. I choose wrong answers frequently but when I can stop and think they become doable regardless of how tricky they are.

PT 68, the most recent test I took:
LG -12 (Haven't been focusing on this section and I'm yet to seriously study for it)
LR -10
RC -8

Untimed
LG -0
LR -0
RC -1

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Maybe slow down on your initial reading and you won't have to reread again?

As for LR, I suppose just keep on reviewing, and eventually hopefully you'll be able to more quickly figure out the questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�