Need advice on whether to cancel

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
onyx22

New

Need advice on whether to cancel

Postby onyx22 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:22 pm

So I got a 165 on my first LSAT (September 2016). I erased a few wrong answers and messed up pretty bad on RC (-9). I was PTing in the 172 range throughout the summer. I rewrote the December one, and I'm not sure what happened on LG. LG is my best section. I always finish with 10 mins to spare, and consistently go with 0 wrong. Even w/ the virus game, I went -2 on the Sept LSAT.

I didn't get the key deduction on game 3. I brute forced my way through the game. Looking back, I realized how easy that inference was to get but I was panicking at how many variables there were that I let my anxiety cloud my judgment. I didn't perform my best on G3. Then for G4, nightmare.. I guessed the same answer for 3 of them.

I found the RC easy, one LR easy. Another LR was slightly hard.

Should I cancel? I mainly want to attend UofT law here in Canada. Their median LSAT score is 167, gpa is 3.8. I meet the gpa standard, but not the LSAT median, although they do they take people w/ lower 160s. Canadian law schools do consider lower scores. I'm scared my Dec score will be lower than a 165, and it'll reflect poorly on me. What do you guys think? I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Instrumental

Silver

Re: Need advice on whether to cancel

Postby Instrumental » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:39 pm

I would first try to see if your school(s) of choice look at anything other than your highest score when taking into consideration your application package. If they just look at your top score, then you may as well find out what you got in December. If not, then it's a tougher decision and you'll have to really weigh your performance against September's. If the last game of the LG is really the only aspect of the test that rattled you (and maybe G3 to an extent, but it sounds like you were able to make it through okay) then you very well may have done better than in September, so you may want to keep your score regardless.

bearedman8

Bronze

Postby bearedman8 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:48 pm

I would definitely keep my score if I were you. It sounds like, for the most part, you found the test manageable with the exception of the 3rd and 4th logic games. It's easy to think you messed the entire thing up because of one game or one RC passage, but in reality it's only ~5 questions. It's normal to feel like you did worse than you actually did. A solid performance in RC for this exam will easily make up for a slightly worse performance in LG for you.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:28 am

Keep your score.

1. Almost every single school takes the highest score. If they say, "we take the average," they're lying.
2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Canadian Schools place much less emphasis on LSAT than US Schools do.
3. Taking the LSAT again will suck.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Keep your score.

1. Almost every single school takes the highest score. If they say, "we take the average," they're lying.
2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Canadian Schools place much less emphasis on LSAT than US Schools do.
3. Taking the LSAT again will suck.

Bolded :lol: NYU comes to mind! Lmao

I believe you're right.. I think Canadian schools put more emphasis on a high GPA

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:12 pm

onyx22 wrote:So I got a 165 on my first LSAT (September 2016). I erased a few wrong answers and messed up pretty bad on RC (-9). I was PTing in the 172 range throughout the summer. I rewrote the December one, and I'm not sure what happened on LG. LG is my best section. I always finish with 10 mins to spare, and consistently go with 0 wrong. Even w/ the virus game, I went -2 on the Sept LSAT.

I didn't get the key deduction on game 3. I brute forced my way through the game. Looking back, I realized how easy that inference was to get but I was panicking at how many variables there were that I let my anxiety cloud my judgment. I didn't perform my best on G3. Then for G4, nightmare.. I guessed the same answer for 3 of them.

I found the RC easy, one LR easy. Another LR was slightly hard.

Should I cancel? I mainly want to attend UofT law here in Canada. Their median LSAT score is 167, gpa is 3.8. I meet the gpa standard, but not the LSAT median, although they do they take people w/ lower 160s. Canadian law schools do consider lower scores. I'm scared my Dec score will be lower than a 165, and it'll reflect poorly on me. What do you guys think? I would greatly appreciate the advice.

I think you should keep your score. For one, if you did well on the test other than those two games, you may have pulled a higher score than your 165. If note, you still have your 165, and most schools only really care about the highest LSAT score. I would try and reach out to UofT to find out more about their view on that.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�