To cancel, or not to cancel?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WiltyMIZ

New

To cancel, or not to cancel?

Postby WiltyMIZ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:53 pm

That is sort of the question.

I just finished with the December administration of the LSAT and I hate the feeling that lingers as a result. This is my first take of the exam and I can admit it felt very nervous, but I dont think that alone is grounds for such action. However, after finishing I can safely say I feel worse than normal in comparison to my practice tests. Usually reading is what butchers me, but it felt easy. Games felt way harder than I expected. Reasoning has been fairly consistent for me but I finished both sections feeling far more uncertain than I usually do. I've taken every PT from 48 onward at least once, so in past assessments LR felt mechanical. That wasn't the case for this one. I feel uncertain and best, shitty at worse. I know we wont get scores for quite a while but I need some direction on this one.

At what point is pulling the plug here justified? Am I just over-reacting to an unsure thing, or am I on to something here? What course of action should I take in best/worse case scenarios?

Zoidberg747

New

Re: To cancel, or not to cancel?

Postby Zoidberg747 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:26 pm

There is zero upside to canceling. Law schools(other than maybe HYS) only take the highest score. Plus you could have easily guessed right on a few/done better than you thought. There was an old thread on the lsat reddit that people almost canceled scores into the 170s thinking they did terribly. Unless you straight up didn't bubble an entire section DO NOT CANCEL.
Last edited by Zoidberg747 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Zoidberg747 wrote:There is zero upside to canceling. Law schools(other than maybe HYS) only take the highest score. Plus you could have easily guessed right on a few/done better than you thought. There was an old thread on the lsat reddit that people canceled scores into the 170s thinking they did terribly. Unless you straight up didn't bubble an entire section DO NOT CANCEL.

If you cancel your score do you also get to see what you scored?

bearedman8

Bronze

Postby bearedman8 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:29 pm

I would recommend against cancelling. It's normal to feel like you did worse than your PT average. Unless something went horrifically wrong (like you misdiagrammed a rule in LG and didn't start the 4th game, or got a bloody nose and had to go to the bathroom for 5 minutes, etc.), I'd say keep your score.

Plus, law schools only care about your highest score. If you cancel, then you have to retake regardless. And if you're gonna retake, the cancel/low score makes no difference at all as long as you score higher.

You don't see your score if you cancel.

judill

New

Postby judill » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:32 pm

From personal experience, do not cancel. I debated this on my second take this past June and it drove me crazy. I ended up with a score I was very happy with. Try not to worry!

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:34 pm

Cancel only if you significantly bombed a section (didnt even get to an entire games or passage section, had to go to the bathroom for 15 min during a section, etc.)

If you conducted the test as normal, do not cancel.

ughhhh

New

Postby ughhhh » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:46 pm

It seems like LG being toughest is the general consensus. New games are appearing on tests that go beyond grouping and ordering, and that doesn't look like it's going to change so maybe that's why it wasn't so intuitive for you this time.

Since you've done so many practice tests I would definitely assess how much you think retaking will actually improve your score. If it's just nerves and the one trippy game, then I'd lean towards keeping my score. If you know without a doubt that if you took a test like this, with weird games and all, that you would have done miles better, then I'd recommend cancelling. Regardless, you shouldn't dwell on it too much right now - take a break. After sleeping on it think it over. You have time to decide.

erinkh

New

Postby erinkh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 pm

HA! I definitely got a bloody nose right before start of section 1 of the December test.....

But fortunately I had a LOT of tissues and the proctor gave me extras, so I didn't have to leave the test, but it was definitely a challenge to focus through the first section. It was my second time doing the test and I am hoping the bloody nose will not push me lower than my first score.

As to OP, don't cancel. After I took my first test (Sept 2016), I felt almost exactly as you described. I had totally panicked on LGs--which are generally my favorite. Even though I was envisioning somehow getting below a 120, I ended with a score that has landed me several full-rides. Even though my score was lower than my PTs, it was fine. Even if you end up having to retake, at least you will know your score and the break-down of what went well and what didn't.

Best of luck to you!

anervouslsater

New

Postby anervouslsater » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:35 pm

I didn't feel as though LR was any different from PTs 71-75 or so. Of course I could have horribly bombed it so dont listen to me

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�