Where do I begin AGAIN?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
foodlaw

New

Where do I begin AGAIN?

Postby foodlaw » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Hey all!

I've been studying for the September/December 2016 LSAT from [late-May to early-August] by utilizing 7sage, PowerScore bibles, LSAT Trainer, etc. I've stopped studying since [late August to now] because life happened. Also, I realized that I wanted to take a gap year and such to increase my LSAT score. So my new (hopeful) test date is June 2017 or September 2017. Unfortunately, I've lost a lot of my "LSAT skills". I was looking at a random LR question the other day and I felt so lost and confused. I quickly put it away and worked on something non-LSAT related :(

Where do I pick up from here? Should I go over all the core videos on 7sage? LGs? The phrase "If you don't use it, you lose it" is sooo real. :roll: Need some advice!

Thanks

SunDevil14

Bronze

Re: Where do I begin AGAIN?

Postby SunDevil14 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:58 am

I think you may be overacting. You're skills have likely been blunted by time so you are not as sharp. Do not worry, though it may seem like you are starting from square one, you are not. As you study more, you older skills will come back to you more readily.

Best example I can give is achieving a degree of master for a foreign language you never use. The first several days in the corresponding country you may have little idea what is going on, by the end of a week or two you start to feel comfortable speaking/listening/reading the language you once learned.

What were you scoring on your PT's beforehand, and what were you relative strengths and weakness, that would give us a better gauge to offer advice.

Reeferside

New

Postby Reeferside » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:17 am

Sounds like you're a little discouraged. I agree with sundevil, your knowledge and skill definitely gets blurred but just be focused and determined. It'll come back to you and you also learned an important lesson.. don't do it again. :)

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:24 am

I had the same worry on a retake. Once I got back in the groove (basically just drilled a couple sections of each for timing and comfort purposes) i took a "diagnostic" PT and instantly scored better than my first test score. Give yourself time to get back into it. If you still feel lost, then just do what you did the first time to get back to that point.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:19 pm

foodlaw wrote:Hey all!

I've been studying for the September/December 2016 LSAT from [late-May to early-August] by utilizing 7sage, PowerScore bibles, LSAT Trainer, etc. I've stopped studying since [late August to now] because life happened. Also, I realized that I wanted to take a gap year and such to increase my LSAT score. So my new (hopeful) test date is June 2017 or September 2017. Unfortunately, I've lost a lot of my "LSAT skills". I was looking at a random LR question the other day and I felt so lost and confused. I quickly put it away and worked on something non-LSAT related :(

Where do I pick up from here? Should I go over all the core videos on 7sage? LGs? The phrase "If you don't use it, you lose it" is sooo real. :roll: Need some advice!

Thanks

It's natural to lose some of your LSAT skills after a few months of disuse. That doesn't mean that the time you previously spent studying was useless. You'll find that your memory will get jogged once you get back to reviewing. However, it's important that you not be so hard on yourself! Try to think of it as if you're starting again from scratch - anything that you happen to pick up faster because you did it before is a nice bonus.

I'm not sure which guide you preferred the most, but I would start by reviewing all of the material on the test first. Spend more time on the concepts that seem more difficult. Make sure to work through practice problems as well, just as you did when you first studied for the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�