The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
11
28%
F#$k YES!!!
6
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
22
56%
 
Total votes: 39

thewhalefish

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby thewhalefish » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:08 pm

I bought the workbooks and they're useless. What is good from powerscore though is the "Logical Reasoning Question Type Training By Type". They're real questions from tests 1-20 organized by type "flaw, assumption" etc. It's really useful and takes away having to track down questions in certain tests.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09826618 ... powerscore[/quote]

You have no idea how happy I am to see you say the workbooks are crap. My Discover card can't take much more of dis.

User avatar
Saylor1720

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Saylor1720 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Legally Spears wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:Just to double check, what are everyone's preferred methods for drilling LR in the post-Cambridge era?

DJ mentioned he likes to highlight the questions by type in the preptests, any other approaches? Or am I resigned to grinding out copies of the PTs until the end of my days...


Building on this, does anyone recommend the Powerscore workbooks?


I bought the workbooks and they're useless. What is good from powerscore though is the "Logical Reasoning Question Type Training By Type". They're real questions from tests 1-20 organized by type "flaw, assumption" etc. It's really useful and takes away having to track down questions in certain tests.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09826618 ... powerscore


And you primarily used the above to drill for LR? Any other gems?


My strategy has been doing a few lessons (currently the trainer, but bibles work) on for example, flaw. Then I'll do ~20 flaw questions in the book then do a full LR section timed or untimed. Not only have I been "doing the questions" I've been covering the answer choices and trying to prephrase every answer to get that practice in as well. I'm doing untimed sections for another 2-3 weeks. Then I'll start timing. I'm a retaker. So my approach may not apply to everyone.

What I'll be doing once I start PTs is I'll take a PT. Review for one or two days. Then use the question type trainer to drill my weaknesses. Repeat.

Legally Spears

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:18 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Legally Spears » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:36 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:Just to double check, what are everyone's preferred methods for drilling LR in the post-Cambridge era?

DJ mentioned he likes to highlight the questions by type in the preptests, any other approaches? Or am I resigned to grinding out copies of the PTs until the end of my days...


Building on this, does anyone recommend the Powerscore workbooks?


I bought the workbooks and they're useless. What is good from powerscore though is the "Logical Reasoning Question Type Training By Type". They're real questions from tests 1-20 organized by type "flaw, assumption" etc. It's really useful and takes away having to track down questions in certain tests.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09826618 ... powerscore


And you primarily used the above to drill for LR? Any other gems?


My strategy has been doing a few lessons (currently the trainer, but bibles work) on for example, flaw. Then I'll do ~20 flaw questions in the book then do a full LR section timed or untimed. Not only have I been "doing the questions" I've been covering the answer choices and trying to prephrase every answer to get that practice in as well. I'm doing untimed sections for another 2-3 weeks. Then I'll start timing. I'm a retaker. So my approach may not apply to everyone.

What I'll be doing once I start PTs is I'll take a PT. Review for one or two days. Then use the question type trainer to drill my weaknesses. Repeat.


Thanks for fleshing everything out. Best of luck to you! I'm sorry to ask for such specificity, I just know the pressure is on! Again, thank you for your help, Saylor, best of luck!

User avatar
Saylor1720

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Saylor1720 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Thank you! Same to you!

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Finished LR drilling. Now to complete my RC drilling and I think I will be ready to time myself and see what I really need to focus on before I do my first PT

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:46 pm

I've done 2 PTs so far for this June take (166 and 165). Might do another one on Friday, but will be drilling RC this week for sure.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:57 pm

thewhalefish wrote:I bought the workbooks and they're useless. What is good from powerscore though is the "Logical Reasoning Question Type Training By Type". They're real questions from tests 1-20 organized by type "flaw, assumption" etc. It's really useful and takes away having to track down questions in certain tests.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09826618 ... powerscore




Get the game - type book as well. The two of those are pretty much the new-age Cambridge packets, if you don't have them.
Last edited by Rupert Pupkin on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Everythingimnot

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Everythingimnot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:21 pm

hey guys...just looking for advice on where to go from here...got a 140 on my lsat diagnostic test, logic games/reading comp killed me. not sure if i will be able to pull that up in time for june so i dont know if i'll be joining you guys :(

User avatar
Saylor1720

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Saylor1720 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:22 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:I bought the workbooks and they're useless. What is good from powerscore though is the "Logical Reasoning Question Type Training By Type". They're real questions from tests 1-20 organized by type "flaw, assumption" etc. It's really useful and takes away having to track down questions in certain tests.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09826618 ... powerscore


You have no idea how happy I am to see you say the workbooks are crap. My Discover card can't take much more of dis.


Get the game - type book as well. The two of those are pretty much the new-age Cambridge packets, if you don't have them.[/quote]

Agreed. I also use them for "warm up" before PTing. They're well worth the money.

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby saf18hornet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:17 am

Legally Spears wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:Just to double check, what are everyone's preferred methods for drilling LR in the post-Cambridge era?

DJ mentioned he likes to highlight the questions by type in the preptests, any other approaches? Or am I resigned to grinding out copies of the PTs until the end of my days...


Building on this, does anyone recommend the Powerscore workbooks?


I bought the workbooks and they're useless. What is good from powerscore though is the "Logical Reasoning Question Type Training By Type". They're real questions from tests 1-20 organized by type "flaw, assumption" etc. It's really useful and takes away having to track down questions in certain tests.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09826618 ... powerscore


And you primarily used the above to drill for LR? Any other gems?


I recommend Fox LSAT Logical Reasoning Encylcopedia: Disrespecting the LSAT. (https://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Logical-Rea ... 1479391271) It's got 550+ real LSAT questions, organized by type. It's basically a solution manual for every question. His methodology is very similar to what you'd find in the LSAT Trainer. His style is basically to assume every argument and every answer is total BS. It's also organized by question number in each section. So they go from question 1 to question 27 from whatever test section, in an effort to try to simulate level of difficulty.

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby saf18hornet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:20 am

Everythingimnot wrote:hey guys...just looking for advice on where to go from here...got a 140 on my lsat diagnostic test, logic games/reading comp killed me. not sure if i will be able to pull that up in time for june so i dont know if i'll be joining you guys :(


I had a 148 diagnostic (with -4 LG so just imagine!), got up to 163 in about 7-8 weeks of just 1 hour a day studying. Be optimistic!

Everythingimnot

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Everythingimnot » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am

saf18hornet wrote:
Everythingimnot wrote:hey guys...just looking for advice on where to go from here...got a 140 on my lsat diagnostic test, logic games/reading comp killed me. not sure if i will be able to pull that up in time for june so i dont know if i'll be joining you guys :(


I had a 148 diagnostic (with -4 LG so just imagine!), got up to 163 in about 7-8 weeks of just 1 hour a day studying. Be optimistic!



Thanks. What study preps are you using if you don't mind sharing?

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby saf18hornet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:52 am

Everythingimnot wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
Everythingimnot wrote:hey guys...just looking for advice on where to go from here...got a 140 on my lsat diagnostic test, logic games/reading comp killed me. not sure if i will be able to pull that up in time for june so i dont know if i'll be joining you guys :(


I had a 148 diagnostic (with -4 LG so just imagine!), got up to 163 in about 7-8 weeks of just 1 hour a day studying. Be optimistic!


Thanks. What study preps are you using if you don't mind sharing?


I basically just did 1 timed section a night (from PT's 42-51) until I got through them, ~5 weeks. Then I did a deeper dive into what question types I was struggling with. Based on those results, I went through the LR Bible for those sections and didn't find it particularly helpful. I have done absolutely zero amount of LG work beyond these prep tests, they come very naturally to me. I got a total of 4 wrong in 10 sections so obviously my engineering background has made that an area I don't need to focus on. RC has been steadily improving, gone from -16 to a -7 average.

I got the Trainer last week and am going through it now. I'm going to be doing the drills from it in PT's 52-61, and also using the Fox LG book for additional drilling. I'll spend another week or 2 reviewing LR and then plan to go back to timed sections from PT 62-80 with an occasional Full test every 2 or 3 weeks. If I can add even just 0.5 point per week i'll be over 170 by June, so I am feeling very confident!

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:57 am

Everythingimnot wrote:hey guys...just looking for advice on where to go from here...got a 140 on my lsat diagnostic test, logic games/reading comp killed me. not sure if i will be able to pull that up in time for june so i dont know if i'll be joining you guys :(


diagnostics are not indicative of what you'll score on the real test imo. If a chemistry professor gave you the final exam the first day of BioChem. you'd most likely fail (most people would) this is the same idea to me. Let games be fun to you and start prep as clean and eager as you can.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:03 am

Diagnostics are bullshit. All they do is shoot down your confidence.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:05 am

Mikey wrote:Diagnostics are bullshit. All they do is shoot down your confidence.


on the PT note, I'm about a month out from my next one. Wbu?

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:22 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Diagnostics are bullshit. All they do is shoot down your confidence.


on the PT note, I'm about a month out from my next one. Wbu?

Doing one on Friday. Already got 2 down for June.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:39 am

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Diagnostics are bullshit. All they do is shoot down your confidence.


on the PT note, I'm about a month out from my next one. Wbu?

Doing one on Friday. Already got 2 down for June.


Lmao
PT: 0
Timed sections:0
Questions done: 50
Chapters read: 34

Legally Spears

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:18 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Legally Spears » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:40 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Diagnostics are bullshit. All they do is shoot down your confidence.


on the PT note, I'm about a month out from my next one. Wbu?

Doing one on Friday. Already got 2 down for June.


Lmao
PT: 0
Timed sections:0
Questions done: 50
Chapters read: 34


That Trainer life...

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:48 pm

Legally Spears wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Diagnostics are bullshit. All they do is shoot down your confidence.


on the PT note, I'm about a month out from my next one. Wbu?

Doing one on Friday. Already got 2 down for June.


Lmao
PT: 0
Timed sections:0
Questions done: 50
Chapters read: 34


That Trainer life...


Yep, it is the prologue to my retake. Everything is tuned up to being the 7th or 8th a little shy of the 4 month mark so I'm not concerned at all right now. Fast forward, "you guys I'm postponing to Sep."

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:03 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Diagnostics are bullshit. All they do is shoot down your confidence.


on the PT note, I'm about a month out from my next one. Wbu?

Doing one on Friday. Already got 2 down for June.


Lmao
PT: 0
Timed sections:0
Questions done: 50
Chapters read: 34


That Trainer life...


Yep, it is the prologue to my retake. Everything is tuned up to being the 7th or 8th a little shy of the 4 month mark so I'm not concerned at all right now. Fast forward, "you guys I'm postponing to Sep."

I don't think I could postpone. I'm not mentally motivated enough to wait that long since I have postponed 3 tests already. I started going over bibles summer 16 with the plan to take the LSAT in September. I realized there was a tailgate at another school that day so I couldn't do it LOL. Waited until December. I didn't study hard enough. I was focusing on February and really studying for it. My mom forces me to go to NYC and Connecticut over winter break. I didn't have much time to study besides some grinds at like 2-4 AM. Postponed until June. I just can't at this point.

User avatar
Walliums

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Walliums » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:29 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Diagnostics are bullshit. All they do is shoot down your confidence.


on the PT note, I'm about a month out from my next one. Wbu?

Doing one on Friday. Already got 2 down for June.


Lmao
PT: 0
Timed sections:0
Questions done: 50
Chapters read: 34


Hitting those books like it's leg day

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:49 pm

Walliums wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Diagnostics are bullshit. All they do is shoot down your confidence.


on the PT note, I'm about a month out from my next one. Wbu?

Doing one on Friday. Already got 2 down for June.


Lmao
PT: 0
Timed sections:0
Questions done: 50
Chapters read: 34


Hitting those books like it's leg day


sick neg

User avatar
greatspirit

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby greatspirit » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:47 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
Everythingimnot wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
Everythingimnot wrote:hey guys...just looking for advice on where to go from here...got a 140 on my lsat diagnostic test, logic games/reading comp killed me. not sure if i will be able to pull that up in time for june so i dont know if i'll be joining you guys :(


I had a 148 diagnostic (with -4 LG so just imagine!), got up to 163 in about 7-8 weeks of just 1 hour a day studying. Be optimistic!


Thanks. What study preps are you using if you don't mind sharing?


I basically just did 1 timed section a night (from PT's 42-51) until I got through them, ~5 weeks. Then I did a deeper dive into what question types I was struggling with. Based on those results, I went through the LR Bible for those sections and didn't find it particularly helpful. I have done absolutely zero amount of LG work beyond these prep tests, they come very naturally to me. I got a total of 4 wrong in 10 sections so obviously my engineering background has made that an area I don't need to focus on. RC has been steadily improving, gone from -16 to a -7 average.

I got the Trainer last week and am going through it now. I'm going to be doing the drills from it in PT's 52-61, and also using the Fox LG book for additional drilling. I'll spend another week or 2 reviewing LR and then plan to go back to timed sections from PT 62-80 with an occasional Full test every 2 or 3 weeks. If I can add even just 0.5 point per week i'll be over 170 by June, so I am feeling very confident!


I very much like this strategy for LR! Think it'd be a great way to get me into the swing of it, starting tomorrow when I tackle the Formal Logic chapter of the LR Bible, and continue along with the Bible.

User avatar
greatspirit

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby greatspirit » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Thoughts on 7sage's "foolproof" LG review method? I just did a logic game I went 5/6 on...and I feel it may be tedious for me to try the whole thing over again.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests