The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:18 pm

Mikey wrote:
dm1683 wrote:How many people here are retakers? I guess I'm just nervous cause everyone else is digging into the meat of LG and LR, asking about specific games and scenarios, and here I am nearly a month in and not even halfway through the LG Bible yet LOL. I've been going slow on purpose but I'm leagues behind everyone else.

I'm a retaker.

Don't worry, I was in your situation a year ago, taking shit slow and not really doing much. Needless to say that it bit me in the ass, hence why I'm retaking.

retakers unite! especially the most bullshit test ever, colloquially reffered to as September 2016.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:28 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dm1683 wrote:How many people here are retakers? I guess I'm just nervous cause everyone else is digging into the meat of LG and LR, asking about specific games and scenarios, and here I am nearly a month in and not even halfway through the LG Bible yet LOL. I've been going slow on purpose but I'm leagues behind everyone else.

I'm a retaker.

Don't worry, I was in your situation a year ago, taking shit slow and not really doing much. Needless to say that it bit me in the ass, hence why I'm retaking.

retakers unite! especially the most bullshit test ever, colloquially reffered to as September 2016.

But Alex got a 179 :oops: so maybe we're just stupid bro

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:32 pm

I think it's time I started timing myself on Logic Games. Gonna drill RC and LR for about 2 weeks and then I'll start timing everything. Hopefully by the 2nd week of March I can take PTs

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:39 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I'm a retaker.

y was it so bad?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:44 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I'm a retaker.

y was it so bad?

I was sick during the test which is 100% my fault; the RC was brutal (somehow pulled -2 tho, only damn accomplishment on the test) and the LG was just so off for me that day. Pretty much subjectively, that was the worst day.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:45 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I'm a retaker.

But Alex got a 179 :oops: so maybe we're just stupid bro

Nah dude we are

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Scored my best yet on a PT today - 167 on PT 60. Went -3 on RC which is the best I have ever done. Dropping the memory method and just drilling full RC sections has helped immensely. Messed up on some Logic Games though which is unusual. Now to drink

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:55 pm

Walliums wrote:Scored my best yet on a PT today - 167 on PT 60. Went -3 on RC which is the best I have ever done. Dropping the memory method and just drilling full RC sections has helped immensely. Messed up on some Logic Games though which is unusual. Now to drink

Nice! What is your strategy with RC now since you dropped the memory method?

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:55 pm

Walliums wrote:Scored my best yet on a PT today - 167 on PT 60. Went -3 on RC which is the best I have ever done. Dropping the memory method and just drilling full RC sections has helped immensely. Messed up on some Logic Games though which is unusual. Now to drink

What sections are you guys doing for drilling?? Sections as in from older PTs? It almost feels wasteful to be just doing random sections from PTs. Maybe it's fine if they're the older ones?

Let me know if I need to rephrase the question.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:59 pm

Mikey wrote:

dj9i27 and I were talking about this a few pages back. It's just some very light notation, underlining here and there that stick out to me, boxing in definitions to come back to easily find. I feel like I'm really reading and paying attention to the passages now. The memory method helped really hone in on things but, I found I was reading the passages with the goal of being able to summarize each paragraph, rather than really read it. I felt like I was taking notes rather than digesting the thing. That's kind of mish mosh but, does it make sense?

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:02 am

thewhalefish wrote:

What sections are you guys doing for drilling?? Sections as in from older PTs? It almost feels wasteful to be just doing random sections from PTs. Maybe it's fine if they're the older ones?

For RC I knew I had issues with timing so I began drilling full sections starting with PT 1. In between PT 1 and 5 I have seen a ton of improvement, and according to 7Sage those early passages are supposed to be hard.

I don't really see an issue with drilling "random" sections from the earlier tests (1-35). It's important to keep track of what you've drilled (and your time, and the number of questions you got wrong, and why you got those questions wrong, etc) - I keep everything in a Google sheet.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:05 am

Thanks, Walli! I'll start doing that tomorrow.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:54 am

Walliums wrote:
Mikey wrote:

dj9i27 and I were talking about this a few pages back. It's just some very light notation, underlining here and there that stick out to me, boxing in definitions to come back to easily find. I feel like I'm really reading and paying attention to the passages now. The memory method helped really hone in on things but, I found I was reading the passages with the goal of being able to summarize each paragraph, rather than really read it. I felt like I was taking notes rather than digesting the thing. That's kind of mish mosh but, does it make sense?

Yeah I get you. I'm just like you, been using the memory since the summer and just recently switched to just reading and doing some minor circling and underlining and it helps! The MM did help a bit with memory though so it wasn't a total waste of time.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:33 am

Mikey wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Yeah I get you. I'm just like you, been using the memory since the summer and just recently switched to just reading and doing some minor circling and underlining and it helps! The MM did help a bit with memory though so it wasn't a total waste of time.

I felt like it was a good learning tool, had its benefits in practice. But not for use on the test.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:35 am

thewhalefish wrote:Thanks, Walli! I'll start doing that tomorrow.

One thing also, especially in RC, don't be afraid of skipping questions! You start to get into a time suck, you circle it and move on. Come back if you have remaining time.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Currently going over PR, but I feel like I have the hang of it. Might just stop here after 15 Qs and wait until my first timed section to see if I still need to work on it

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:57 pm

Walliums wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

For RC I knew I had issues with timing so I began drilling full sections starting with PT 1. In between PT 1 and 5 I have seen a ton of improvement, and according to 7Sage those early passages are supposed to be hard.

I don't really see an issue with drilling "random" sections from the earlier tests (1-35). It's important to keep track of what you've drilled (and your time, and the number of questions you got wrong, and why you got those questions wrong, etc) - I keep everything in a Google sheet.

Good advice! This time around, I am definitely going to document everything in an excel sheet for reference.. I didn't do this last time for September.

Legally Spears

New

Postby Legally Spears » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Just to double check, what are everyone's preferred methods for drilling LR in the post-Cambridge era?

DJ mentioned he likes to highlight the questions by type in the preptests, any other approaches? Or am I resigned to grinding out copies of the PTs until the end of my days...

Legally Spears

New

Postby Legally Spears » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Legally Spears wrote:Just to double check, what are everyone's preferred methods for drilling LR in the post-Cambridge era?

DJ mentioned he likes to highlight the questions by type in the preptests, any other approaches? Or am I resigned to grinding out copies of the PTs until the end of my days...

Building on this, does anyone recommend the Powerscore workbooks?

Legally Spears

New

Postby Legally Spears » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Legally Spears wrote:Just to double check, what are everyone's preferred methods for drilling LR in the post-Cambridge era?

greatspirit

Bronze

Postby greatspirit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:34 pm

thewhalefish wrote:

I have not started actively drilling. However, when I do, I plan on using Tests 1-50 for drilling/random sections, and tests 51-79 as my PT bucket.

greatspirit

Bronze

Postby greatspirit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Also, for a brief update...

My work ethic needs a restructuring. I studied for 4.5 hours last week, well below by 15-20 hour per-week target. I'm not working FT right now...so my only excuse is distraction/doing other important shit.

I'm aiming for a 170, but I need to be realistic with myself - I'm not studying at the clip I should be to get that score by June.

Not to sound like a whiner, but tips on how to start building up some momentum anyone?

Legally Spears

New

Postby Legally Spears » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:05 pm

greatspirit wrote:Also, for a brief update...

My work ethic needs a restructuring. I studied for 4.5 hours last week, well below by 15-20 hour per-week target. I'm not working FT right now...so my only excuse is distraction/doing other important shit.

I'm aiming for a 170, but I need to be realistic with myself - I'm not studying at the clip I should be to get that score by June.

Not to sound like a whiner, but tips on how to start building up some momentum anyone?

Have you read TLS' guide? He really influenced me. I try to think of the LSAT as this mountain I have to chip at day by day... I've also started to become vastly more disciplined. I've stopped drinking entirely, I only make time for my close friends and boyfriend, and I make sure to hit my goal of 4hrs of LSAT time everyday. Also, Pithypike's timeline has been helpful in keeping me honest and grounded in my time goals.

I definitely cut myself breaks and give myself rest days, and make sure to have ample snacks during study time, but other than that, waking up early, eating (mostly) healthy, exercise and discipline have been my friends. Avoid stressors, avoid temptation, avoid burnout. Good luck.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Legally Spears wrote:

I bought the workbooks and they're useless. What is good from powerscore though is the "Logical Reasoning Question Type Training By Type". They're real questions from tests 1-20 organized by type "flaw, assumption" etc. It's really useful and takes away having to track down questions in certain tests.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09826618 ... powerscore

Legally Spears

New

Postby Legally Spears » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:

I bought the workbooks and they're useless. What is good from powerscore though is the "Logical Reasoning Question Type Training By Type". They're real questions from tests 1-20 organized by type "flaw, assumption" etc. It's really useful and takes away having to track down questions in certain tests.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09826618 ... powerscore

And you primarily used the above to drill for LR? Any other gems?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?