The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:52 pm

thewhalefish wrote:Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but, weird questions aside, is there any typical makeup of an LG section? i.e Linear to Grouping ratio, etc.
I'm about to dive into Ch 4 of the Powerscore LG book and it just made me wonder.

Thanks for all the advice so far!! :D

IIRC, The Bibles have some stats in them on how many times a specific game type has appeared and what you can expect.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:48 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but, weird questions aside, is there any typical makeup of an LG section? i.e Linear to Grouping ratio, etc.
I'm about to dive into Ch 4 of the Powerscore LG book and it just made me wonder.

IIRC, The Bibles have some stats in them on how many times a specific game type has appeared and what you can expect.

Also, I think aside from probability of x,y,z type game the breakdown is usually: Easy, sort of hard 4/10, hard 7/10, wtf 11/10 (at least september)

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:54 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:

Ah! You're right!

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Also, I think aside from probability of x,y,z type game the breakdown is usually: Easy, sort of hard 4/10, hard 7/10, wtf 11/10 (at least september)

What do you mean exactly by the fractions? Sorry, I'm still pretty new to the LSAT.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:08 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Ah! You're right!

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

What do you mean exactly by the fractions? Sorry, I'm still pretty new to the LSAT.

that was my own little difficulty meter, they mean nothing towards the test.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:09 pm

I hate how I'm just the worst at timed RC, but doing BR for RC I can easily see everything so clearly...

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Dj oh, you were saying that's typically the order of questions on the test. Lol.

Mikey, just keep practicing! As long as you are analyzing your mistakes, then you should get faster with repetition. I'm using the Powerscore RC Bible, but I'm naturally a really good reader so I don't have many issues/tips for that section.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
Mikey, just keep practicing! As long as you are analyzing your mistakes, then you should get faster with repetition. I'm using the Powerscore RC Bible, but I'm naturally a really good reader so I don't have many issues/tips for that section.

Thanks, but the bolded makes me envy you, haha. I'm stuck in the mid-160's because of RC and I feel like I'm never gonna shift away from that area D:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:43 pm

Mikey wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

Thanks, but the bolded makes me envy you, haha. I'm stuck in the mid-160's because of RC and I feel like I'm never gonna shift away from that area D:

do you know how long it takes to finish when not timed

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:00 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

you mean if i just do an untimed passage but still am aware of how long it takes? ehh.. one with 5 questions maybe like 9ish mins but if it's like 7-8 question passages and are the dense ones then anywhere from like 10-13 mins :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

you mean if i just do an untimed passage but still am aware of how long it takes? ehh.. one with 5 questions maybe like 9ish mins but if it's like 7-8 question passages and are the dense ones then anywhere from like 10-13 mins :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

What I would do (just a suggestion) is do an entire RC section untimed, but have a stopwatch when you start and then stop when finished. see what that time is and #wrong then shave off time when you start going -1/2.

if that seemed ill worded, it is leg day and no blood is in my brain.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:26 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

What I would do (just a suggestion) is do an entire RC section untimed, but have a stopwatch when you start and then stop when finished. see what that time is and #wrong then shave off time when you start going -1/2.

that's actually what I always do lol. only when I take a PT do I actually put a 35 min limit but when I do a passage or a section, I put a stopwatch.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:43 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

that's actually what I always do lol. only when I take a PT do I actually put a 35 min limit but when I do a passage or a section, I put a stopwatch.

hmmmm, I think you'll have a epiphany soon. I remember there being some chart that showed for some reason people just did better if they kept plugging at it. that sounded bad on my end, I'm finishing this up so I sound less neanderthaley.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:05 pm

Mikey, consider this advice.

As stated in the Powerscore RC Bible, you have, on average 8min 45s to complete each passage. Harder questions can take longer, as you've noticed. So you need to be faster, otherwise you will never finish. Fortunately, there's a good set of guidelines to use for any question that even less-than-proficient readers can use:

Ideally, you should be able to read the passage once through and get most of the questions pretty quickly. For the more detailed questions, however, you will likely have to revisit the passage. As a rule of thumb, you should know basic stuff about the passage after reading it such as main point, structure, viewpoints and tone of the author/groups mentioned.

Of course, this will require you to read very carefully and with great focus.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:23 pm

I'm going through the Blueprint RC guide right now and it's been pretty helpful. It's written in more of a conversational tone which helps me understand their strategies better.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:33 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:I'm going through the Blueprint RC guide right now and it's been pretty helpful. It's written in more of a conversational tone which helps me understand their strategies better.

I have heard good things about Blueprint's tone. That's something Powerscore struggles with; it's rather technical, which makes it harder to read, but it doesn't leave any room for misinterpretation or wonderment of what to do in certain circumstances.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:00 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:I'm going through the Blueprint RC guide right now and it's been pretty helpful. It's written in more of a conversational tone which helps me understand their strategies better.

I have heard good things about Blueprint's tone. That's something Powerscore struggles with; it's rather technical, which makes it harder to read, but it doesn't leave any room for misinterpretation or wonderment of what to do in certain circumstances.

I like the more serious and technical tone for LG and LR but I hate RC so Blueprint's tone makes studying for it more enjoyable. I'm about 100 pages in right now so I'll update again once I'm further along.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:15 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

I like the more serious and technical tone for LG and LR but I hate RC so Blueprint's tone makes studying for it more enjoyable. I'm about 100 pages in right now so I'll update again once I'm further along.

I'm tempted to get it, but 4 test books and the Powerscore trio has burnt a nice hole in my well(s fargo). Please do!

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 am

Ugh. I feel like every time I get into a good study routine, some crap happens at work that throws me off the wagon. I am so ready to quit my job... cannot wait to get out of this miserable PR world. I am very jealous of those of you who have the luxury of being able to study full-time

Rain

New

Postby Rain » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:10 pm

This is going to read like a meandering study journal, which is how I'm treating this thread to keep me somewhat accountable.

I'm going pretty slow and steady. A week later I've finished the first 3 chapters of Manhattan's LR book, although the first two chapters are much smaller and about general features of the test. The main accomplishment was the assumption question chapter. There are necessary assumptions, and sufficient ones, and sometimes both. Necessary ones are often elementary, if I say I am going to go get the mail, its a necessary assumption that my mail wasn't cut off, or my house wasn't teleported across the globe.

Slow and steady for this part, its why I've begun relatively early.

I already find it hard to focus on anything that isn't a question. Sometimes I feel explanations are redundant and long but in the few cases I really want it its helpful. Not long ago I took what was for me a very, very difficult "basic" logic course. Its already accustomed to me to little diagrams, conditional logic, premises, conclusions, and assumptions. I've taken two logic courses now, this second one I think was amazing in terms of LSAT prep.

I'm not looking forward to drilling, too much organization and effort to get problems, and I might just cater to my ravenous desire to do full sections and PTs so I might just power through the book and then start general drilling. I know I should be more disciplined. Along with taking little notes as I read and reviewing those.

Do you all just literally hunt down specific problems in PTs when drilling using lists online or are there some good drilling books of organized problems?

Is no one else using Manhattan? I see a lot of comments about the trainer, and 7sage, and the bibles, and blueprint, but I don't recall anyone mentioning Manhattan prep in the pages I've been following this!

I'm looking at the trainer on amazon, I wish I had it because its shorter and one book in all.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Leg day is fer the boyzzz

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:58 pm

PrezRand wrote:Leg day is fer the boyzzz

chest and back day master race.

srs I might bulk again just because in mad i didn't hit my squat pr.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:13 pm

Rain wrote:This is going to read like a meandering study journal, which is how I'm treating this thread to keep me somewhat accountable.

I'm going pretty slow and steady. A week later I've finished the first 3 chapters of Manhattan's LR book, although the first two chapters are much smaller and about general features of the test. The main accomplishment was the assumption question chapter. There are necessary assumptions, and sufficient ones, and sometimes both. Necessary ones are often elementary, if I say I am going to go get the mail, its a necessary assumption that my mail wasn't cut off, or my house wasn't teleported across the globe.

Slow and steady for this part, its why I've begun relatively early.

I already find it hard to focus on anything that isn't a question. Sometimes I feel explanations are redundant and long but in the few cases I really want it its helpful. Not long ago I took what was for me a very, very difficult "basic" logic course. Its already accustomed to me to little diagrams, conditional logic, premises, conclusions, and assumptions. I've taken two logic courses now, this second one I think was amazing in terms of LSAT prep.

I'm not looking forward to drilling, too much organization and effort to get problems, and I might just cater to my ravenous desire to do full sections and PTs so I might just power through the book and then start general drilling. I know I should be more disciplined. Along with taking little notes as I read and reviewing those.

Do you all just literally hunt down specific problems in PTs when drilling using lists online or are there some good drilling books of organized problems?

Is no one else using Manhattan? I see a lot of comments about the trainer, and 7sage, and the bibles, and blueprint, but I don't recall anyone mentioning Manhattan prep in the pages I've been following this!

I'm looking at the trainer on amazon, I wish I had it because its shorter and one book in all.

I use the Power Score Logical Reasoning Questions by type. It's pretty effective. The questions are just from Tests 1-20, but for drilling by type it keeps things really simple. I know what you mean about the urge to dive into PTs and Sections. I'm in the same boat as you. I just finished week 1 of doing untimed sections, and drilling by type. I want to get through 4 weeks of that before jumping into timed stuff.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:05 pm

Today: Did some reading with The Economist in the A.M, did an LG section, and did 4 RC passages of the same subject matter as a full section.

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:55 pm

How many people here are retakers? I guess I'm just nervous cause everyone else is digging into the meat of LG and LR, asking about specific games and scenarios, and here I am nearly a month in and not even halfway through the LG Bible yet LOL. I've been going slow on purpose but I'm leagues behind everyone else.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:08 pm

dm1683 wrote:How many people here are retakers? I guess I'm just nervous cause everyone else is digging into the meat of LG and LR, asking about specific games and scenarios, and here I am nearly a month in and not even halfway through the LG Bible yet LOL. I've been going slow on purpose but I'm leagues behind everyone else.

I'm a retaker.

Don't worry, I was in your situation a year ago, taking shit slow and not really doing much. Needless to say that it bit me in the ass, hence why I'm retaking.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?