The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:35 pm

so I'm at the 1/4 way point of studying for tonight and I've noticed 2 things. first, my reasoning seems to be good out of the trainers 20 questions or so I've missed 1 but my LG has gone to shit. the other being, I still have no clue how to do the "weird" games.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:26 pm

dj9i27 wrote:so I'm at the 1/4 way point of studying for tonight and I've noticed 2 things. first, my reasoning seems to be good out of the trainers 20 questions or so I've missed 1 but my LG has gone to shit. the other being, I still have no clue how to do the "weird" games.

I'm actually really good at the "weird" games. I do better on them than the other games even though I have no idea how I get them right

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:35 pm

PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:so I'm at the 1/4 way point of studying for tonight and I've noticed 2 things. first, my reasoning seems to be good out of the trainers 20 questions or so I've missed 1 but my LG has gone to shit. the other being, I still have no clue how to do the "weird" games.

I'm actually really good at the "weird" games. I do better on them than the other games even though I have no idea how I get them right

I think I'm going to try PPs method when the time comes for the weird games; PT first and then go try and dissect the game.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:56 pm

Covered 7 games today. Missed 1 question. Went well even though these were 2 sections I covered before. I'll start earlier in the morning to do more work throughout the day

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:03 am

Speaking of weird games. Everyone was freaking out about the weird game on the December LSAT. I ended up getting 22/23. Don't remember how, I blacked out.

Really unfortunate that I didn't capitalize on that because of my terrible RC and average LR from December along with my unforeseen timing problem :(

Legally Spears

New

Postby Legally Spears » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:36 am

Saylor1720 wrote:Speaking of weird games. Everyone was freaking out about the weird game on the December LSAT. I ended up getting 22/23. Don't remember how, I blacked out.

Really unfortunate that I didn't capitalize on that because of my terrible RC and average LR from December along with my unforeseen timing problem :(

Saylor, not sure if you covered this before on this thread, but what happened?"

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:27 am

NO EXCUSES

DO A PT RIGHT NOW AND ONLY GIVE YOURSELF 25 MINS PER SECTION TO FEEL THE BURNNNNNN

WEIRD GAMES DONT EXIST, ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD KID. JUST BELIEVE IN YO SELF AND THE ANSWERS WILL COME TO U

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:43 am

Mikey wrote:

NO EXCUSES

DO A PT RIGHT NOW AND ONLY GIVE YOURSELF 25 MINS PER SECTION TO FEEL THE BURNNNNNN

WEIRD GAMES DONT EXIST, ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD KID. JUST BELIEVE IN YO SELF AND THE ANSWERS WILL COME TO U

i read that as take a pt in 25 minutes and was thinking, "okay sure ,little excessive but let's go."

werid games are the new norm.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:02 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

NO EXCUSES

i read that as take a pt in 25 minutes and was thinking, "okay sure ,little excessive but let's go."

weird games are a myth

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:41 am

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

NO EXCUSES

weird games are a myth

at this point, easy RC would be a godsend.

Rain

New

Postby Rain » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:13 pm

How has the test changed? What PT is considered recent for current LSAT trends?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Rain wrote:How has the test changed? What PT is considered recent for current LSAT trends?

70 is where a shift happend, slight as it may be. for LR the difficulty is about the same but the wording is much nicer and fluid. LG was easier until the implementation of this new game type but overall compared to <40 id say it's easier. RC, the passages are the same level of difficulty/content but the questions are much harder.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:48 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Rain wrote:How has the test changed? What PT is considered recent for current LSAT trends?

70 is where a shift happend, slight as it may be. for LR the difficulty is about the same but the wording is much nicer and fluid. LG was easier until the implementation of this new game type but overall compared to <40 id say it's easier. RC, the passages are the same level of difficulty/content but the questions are much harder.

So you think LG games and LR games are a little easier to understand after Test 40?

Sidenote: I just realized after this test how hammer I will be after this test

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:54 pm

So I'm doing the approach of logic games practice every day. Would that approach still be effective for these tests?
Or maybe it's too early to do that since we're so far out? I'm using LG sections from 29-38 as practice... unless we think they're too outdated. I know PT 29 is from 1999 :shock: .

What are you guys doing for LG practice aside from reading the Powerscore Bible?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:59 pm

PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

So you think LG games and LR games are a little easier to understand after Test 40?

Sidenote: I just realized after this test how hammer I will be after this test

i found the 70s LR to be the easiest of the bunch, maybe it was due to 3 months of drilling but much more clearly worded than 50 below; 60s is probably the same haven't seen them since , August (?) *I did take one or 2 60 PTS in November but can't remeber them.

games except for the weird ones are by far easier imo. to address your other claim, you will change the lsat god for the porcelain god June 12th.

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:03 pm

For someone who works full time, has read the LR and LG powerscore bibles, taken two PTs and numerous practice sections, and is 20% through 7Sage's core premium curriculum, and is playing on taking June 2017 LSAT, how do you recommend I pace my study schedule? When should I aim to finish 7sage's premium course and move on to only taking real PTs and drilling LGs until test day?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Also, I'm a bit confused on what consitutes a "weird" game. Are there any characteristics that make them stand out?

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:10 pm

njames1961 wrote:Also, I'm a bit confused on what consitutes a "weird" game. Are there any characteristics that make them stand out?

I was wondering about that, too... surely a game is a game is a game? Edit: Of course varying in difficulty, as usual.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:14 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
njames1961 wrote:Also, I'm a bit confused on what consitutes a "weird" game. Are there any characteristics that make them stand out?

I was wondering about that, too... surely a game is a game is a game? Edit: Of course varying in difficulty, as usual.

PT 72,77,79,80 for example
just games that aren't linear, grouping, etc. there is no real way to solve it other than inferences. they catch a lot of people off, self included.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Legally Spears wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:Speaking of weird games. Everyone was freaking out about the weird game on the December LSAT. I ended up getting 22/23. Don't remember how, I blacked out.

Saylor, not sure if you covered this before on this thread, but what happened?"

I went over it briefly in my introduction post.

Basically, what happened was I got the 5 minute warning on section 1. I didn't bring a watch, figured there'd be a projector of the time or something. My mistake. I zoned out trying to figure out one of the questions. Ran out of time, had to guess the last 5 questions of section 1 LR very quickly. I got -3 there. Ended up with 20/25 for section 1.

My heart was racing a million miles an hour when section 2 started, RC. From what I've heard this was an easier RC, but my mind was racing about the major screw up. I had to compose myself, so I took a bathroom break. I got 15/27! on this RC. Which would have been my worst score out of ~30 prep tests. I was rattled the rest of the test. Did well on LG, okay on the second LR. I think I crushed the experimental, although that means nothing.

I'm Canadian, and need a 167 for a pretty much guaranteed spot at the Law School I want to attend. I scored a 160, 8 more questions right and I would've had it. I think I could've scored that that day if I didn't screw up on section 1.

I think a lesson from this is to #1: Bring a watch. I bought the 180 Watch, and haven't done any timed sections with it. But I've put it on every time to study and it kind of gets me in the right frame of mind. *Watch on* "It's go time!*

#2: I took all my prep tests in very sterile environments. No you can't really simulate having to guess 5 questions and freaking out about the future of your entire life, but you can try to do some studying with distractions around you.

#3: This is more for me. I am going to prepare to the point where there is very little chance involved. I want a 167 to be my worst day. I want to take this test with no emotion involved, an LSAT robot so to speak.

Anyways, that's my story, and that's why I'm here for June with you lovely people.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Not taking the June test (I'm retaking in Feb aka next week! Eek!), but this thread is a lot more active than the Feb one so hello :P

I see you guys were talking about the new "weird" games. Since the Dec test (PT 80) has not been released yet and it probably won't be available until after I take the test next week, can anyone give me any insight into how game 4/the weird game compared to other previous weird game (like the virus game from PT 79 for instance)? Was it like some of the really old (<30) games that involved strange spatial diagrams? And also, how were the first three games? Were they particularly easy to give you more time to work on game 4? Just trying to judge what I should be prepared for. I generally can hammer through the weird games as long as I have a little extra time to think through things (i.e. finish the other games pretty quickly).

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:56 pm

airwrecka wrote:Not taking the June test (I'm retaking in Feb aka next week! Eek!), but this thread is a lot more active than the Feb one so hello :P

I see you guys were talking about the new "weird" games. Since the Dec test (PT 80) has not been released yet and it probably won't be available until after I take the test next week, can anyone give me any insight into how game 4/the weird game compared to other previous weird game (like the virus game from PT 79 for instance)? Was it like some of the really old (<30) games that involved strange spatial diagrams? And also, how were the first three games? Were they particularly easy to give you more time to work on game 4? Just trying to judge what I should be prepared for. I generally can hammer through the weird games as long as I have a little extra time to think through things (i.e. finish the other games pretty quickly).

From what I remember, game 4 had to do with trading. So there were 3 sets of objects. You were able to "trade" objects with the other sets. Set 1 can be traded for 2x set 2, or 3x set 3 etc. With this the questions asked you to figure out a certain outcome.

Ex. How many trades would it take to get 2x Object 1, and 1x Object 3 into set #2.

There was no real board, I just kind of drew 3 columns and hacked away until I got an answer. Basically, brute force and luck.

I can't attest to the similarity with the other games, because I don't remember them. The other question though, about the other games in the section, 1 and 2 were really easy. 3 was a little harder, multi-layer ordering game (6 on top, 6 on bottom? maybe 4?) . From what people remember, there was one key inference that made this game a lot easier. I don't remember if I made the inference, but I did get perfect on the game. This game took me the longest. I remember going into game #3 and #4 with about 20 minutes left, I only had ~6-7 minutes left to finish the last game.

After writing this, I realize that I am probably not the right person to be explaining this. My memory of the December test is pretty vague. Hopefully this helped even a little bit.
Last edited by Saylor1720 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:58 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Not taking the June test (I'm retaking in Feb aka next week! Eek!), but this thread is a lot more active than the Feb one so hello :P

From what I remember, game 4 had to do with trading. So there were 3 sets of objects. You were able to "trade" objects with the other sets. Set 1 can be traded for 2x set 2, or 3x set 3 etc. With this the questions asked you to figure out a certain outcome.

Ex. How many trades would it take to get 2x Object 1, and 1x Object 3 into set #2.

There was no real board, I just kind of drew 3 columns and hacked away until I got an answer. Basically, brute force and luck.

I can't attest to the similarity with the other games, because I don't remember them. The other question though, about the other games in the section, 1 and 2 were really easy. 3 was a little harder, multi-layer ordering game (6 on top, 6 on bottom? maybe 4?) . From what people remember, there was one key inference that made this game a lot easier. I don't remember if I made the inference, but I did get perfect on the game.

After writing this, I realize that I am probably not the right person to be explaining this. My memory of the December test is pretty vague. Hopefully this helped even a little bit.

It did help! Thanks! :D

Others feel free to supplement this answer with more info :lol:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:06 pm

i didn't take December so I should probably not talk too much but apparently it was easier that viruses in September. game 3 was allegedly a really difficult grouping game and 1 &2 were just running of the mill LG.

the biggest thing is not to get shaken up if there is a weird game. breathe, read the stimulus carefully, and try to map it out in your head. who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and not have one!

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but, weird questions aside, is there any typical makeup of an LG section? i.e Linear to Grouping ratio, etc.
I'm about to dive into Ch 4 of the Powerscore LG book and it just made me wonder.

Thanks for all the advice so far!! :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?