The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Legally Spears

New

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Legally Spears » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Hey guys,

Been hanging around this thread for a while without posting, but time to check in. I started studying in December just a few days before Christmas, powered through the LSAT Trainer, and am now working through the LGB.

I took a diagnostic before December to see how my score would come out, scored a 150. The circumstances of my initial test were not ideal, I kept being interrupted and having to pause and restart my timer, so I (now foolishly, I realize) used PT 65 to take a second diagnostic, and scored a 152.

Section I (LR) :-11
Section II (LG): -13
Section III (RC): -8
Section IV (LR): -8

I want to score over a 175 for June 2017. I know the road is long and steep, but momma didn't raise a quitter.

I know how amazing TLS can be and have already gained so much insight just by reading this page. Any advice? I used the LSAT Trainer and found it not very helpful, especially for LG. That being said, I wasn't drilling or taking PTs as Mike recommends because I wanted to get through the book as quickly as possible. (Again, foolish) Now I'm working through Powerscore, will be drilling as I go through.

Thoughts?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Legally Spears wrote:Hey guys,

Been hanging around this thread for a while without posting, but time to check in. I started studying in December just a few days before Christmas, powered through the LSAT Trainer, and am now working through the LGB.

I took a diagnostic before December to see how my score would come out, scored a 150. The circumstances of my initial test were not ideal, I kept being interrupted and having to pause and restart my timer, so I (now foolishly, I realize) used PT 65 to take a second diagnostic, and scored a 152.

I want to score over a 175 for June 2017. I know the road is long and steep, but momma didn't raise a quitter.

I know how amazing TLS can be and have already gained so much insight just my reading this page. Any advice? I used the LSAT Trainer and found it not very helpful, especially for LG. That being said, I wasn't drilling or taking PTs as Mike recommends because I wanted to get through the book as quickly as possible. (Again, foolish) Now I'm working through Powerscore, will be drilling as I go through.

Thoughts?

I don't think the Trainer is ideal to be your first read as a first-time LSAT taker. Imo its much better as a retaker or after your finish a set of books, because it talks about some in-depth questions as a broad view, which is great, but I can totally see that i wouldn't retain the Trainers points entirely if I hadn't been familiar w/ the LSAT already. PS Bibles are great. it Really will just come down to relentlessly studying and your diligence.

Best of luck to you! we are all going through the same thing.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:10 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:

I know how amazing TLS can be and have already gained so much insight just my reading this page. Any advice? I used the LSAT Trainer and found it not very helpful, especially for LG. That being said, I wasn't drilling or taking PTs as Mike recommends because I wanted to get through the book as quickly as possible. (Again, foolish) Now I'm working through Powerscore, will be drilling as I go through.

Thoughts?

I don't think the Trainer is ideal to be your first read as a first-time LSAT taker. Imo its much better as a retaker or after your finish a set of books, because it talks about some in-depth questions as a broad view, which is great, but I can totally see that i wouldn't retain the Trainers points entirely if I hadn't been familiar w/ the LSAT already. PS Bibles are great. it Really will just come down to relentlessly studying and your diligence.

I just started the Trainer today as a re-taker, and I agree with this. I think the PowerScore bibles (which I went through during my 1st prep) give you a great foundation to work with.

I really liked the first chapter of the Trainer, and can see how getting in the right frame of mind is key to success. I think during my first take it took me months to realize what I actually need to be studying. So, with my prior knowledge and with the help from the Trainer, I should be on the right track this time.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:52 pm

Question.

So, PTs 42-51 are half fresh/half drill re-dos for me; my question is should I use them for drilling (all or 46(?)-52) and PTing or 100% either or.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Thoughts?

I just started the Trainer today as a re-taker, and I agree with this. I think the PowerScore bibles (which I went through during my 1st prep) give you a great foundation to work with.

I really liked the first chapter of the Trainer, and can see how getting in the right frame of mind is key to success. I think during my first take it took me months to realize what I actually need to be studying. So, with my prior knowledge and with the help from the Trainer, I should be on the right track this time.

Same, thats exactly how I feel. I did the Bibles the first time around and they were great, but I feel like halfway through each book I was just trying to figure out wtf the LSAT was and thus, wasn't able to hone in on the nuances and truly develop an LSAT-mindset and retain the most imp details

Legally Spears

New

Postby Legally Spears » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:17 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Thoughts?

Same, thats exactly how I feel. I did the Bibles the first time around and they were great, but I feel like halfway through each book I was just trying to figure out wtf the LSAT was and thus, wasn't able to hone in on the nuances and truly develop an LSAT-mindset and retain the most imp details

So would you guys say I should take a second look at the Trainer after I finish the PS books? Also, as far as study guides go, how are you guys planning to tackle the test? I've seen Pithy, TLS, McGruff and many more. That being said, I'm not sure yet which one will give me the best way forward.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Last edited by Walliums on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:43 pm

I know how amazing TLS can be and have already gained so much insight just by reading this page. Any advice? I used the LSAT Trainer and found it not very helpful, especially for LG. That being said, I wasn't drilling or taking PTs as Mike recommends because I wanted to get through the book as quickly as possible. (Again, foolish) Now I'm working through Powerscore, will be drilling as I go through.

Thoughts?

Did you miss -13 on logic games because you ran out of time, or did you solve all of the games and get 13 questions wrong? Sometimes it's important to know whether your issue is timing or reasoning.

Also, if you aren't doing it already, I suggest you utilize Blind Review. If you are up for it, take a look at 7Sage - they have a great core curriculum and really helped me attack Logical Reasoning with the foundation I had built with The LSAT Trainer.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Legally Spears wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Thoughts?

So would you guys say I should take a second look at the Trainer after I finish the PS books? Also, as far as study guides go, how are you guys planning to tackle the test? I've seen Pithy, TLS, McGruff and many more. That being said, I'm not sure yet which one will give me the best way forward.

It wouldn't hurt especially LR & RC. I'm following Pithy Pikes training plan, but TLS stuff as well.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:25 pm

dj9i27 wrote:Question.

So, PTs 42-51 are half fresh/half drill re-dos for me; my question is should I use them for drilling (all or 46(?)-52) and PTing or 100% either or.

How many fresh tests do you have outside of PTs 42-51? At the least I would keep the half that are fresh for PTs.

Legally Spears

New

Postby Legally Spears » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Walliums wrote:

Thoughts?

Did you miss -13 on logic games because you ran out of time, or did you solve all of the games and get 13 questions wrong? Sometimes it's important to know whether your issue is timing or reasoning.

Also, if you aren't doing it already, I suggest you utilize Blind Review. If you are up for it, take a look at 7Sage - they have a great core curriculum and really helped me attack Logical Reasoning with the foundation I had built with The LSAT Trainer.

I got 9/23 on that section. Missed 8, ran out of time for 6. My feeling with games is that I just don't understand how to diagram them probably. My UG major is political science, and I just am so blindsided by LG. LSAT Trainer didn't help much, but I've been using 7Sage to review and it's been pretty eye opening.

I've been BRing! I did some LR drill sets using PT 6 and BRed all of them. Definitely a great way to review.

I wasn't certain about their core curriculum. Already blew a ton on LSAT stuff but eh, it's all worth it for HYS. :mrgreen:

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Walliums wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Walliums wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I've lived in TX since I was born. It's pretty dope. You could easily rent a luxurious townhome for 3 grand a month. Split that rent with 2 of your other successful friends and that's just a grand per person.

Do you live in Houston? That looks super familiar.

yessir

AYYYY me too!

Are you planning on staying in Houston?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:48 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:

How many fresh tests do you have outside of PTs 42-51? At the least I would keep the half that are fresh for PTs.

SP1: B&C
SP2: A,B,C
I'm counting 79 as .5 because I only took it when I was pretty much passed out
80 and I think 1 in the 60s somewhere.

that's 7.5 fresh before factoring in 42-46.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Last edited by Walliums on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

Ah okay. I would do them as PTs just to have 12-13 chances to take a fresh PT under testing conditions. With how much the LSAT has changed since tests 42-46 taking them as PTs might not help as much with seeing where you're at score wise, but I think simulating test day 5 extra times would be beneficial.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:18 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

Ah okay. I would do them as PTs just to have 12-13 chances to take a fresh PT under testing conditions. With how much the LSAT has changed since tests 42-46 taking them as PTs might not help as much with seeing where you're at score wise, but I think simulating test day 5 extra times would be beneficial.

yeah you're right, I'll probably do them earlier to widen the gap between the retakes. Im not very concerned about a 2ND go around (3 I guess for 72/3) because I already don't remeber much and won't touch those until April/may.

Legally Spears

New

Postby Legally Spears » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Thoughts?

It wouldn't hurt especially LR & RC. I'm following Pithy Pikes training plan, but TLS stuff as well.

Jagerbom (how I miss one) what TLS stuff are you looking at? Anything particularly eye opening?

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:53 am

Walliums wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Walliums wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Walliums wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I've lived in TX since I was born. It's pretty dope. You could easily rent a luxurious townhome for 3 grand a month. Split that rent with 2 of your other successful friends and that's just a grand per person.

Do you live in Houston? That looks super familiar.

yessir

AYYYY me too!

Are you planning on staying in Houston?

No. I work here and my spouse is in medical school here. Where I go to law school depends on where residency will be. We'd like to come back eventually.. but Houston isn't in the cards for residency. You?

I will probably end up in Houston, but my preference is Austin

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:54 am

I did all of 42-51 as timed sections. I thought that worked well.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 am

Waiting for the old preptest to get to my door so I can sort them by QT :/

Legally Spears

New

Postby Legally Spears » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:21 am

dj9i27 wrote:Waiting for the old preptest to get to my door so I can sort them by QT :/

DJ, what have you found effective for question sorting? What's your method?

LawLivesMatter

New

Postby LawLivesMatter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Taking a basic logic course at my University because I figured I could get a pretty easy A, and it couldn't hurt for the LSAT. After 3 lectures it has become clear my professor isn't the best at articulating what she wants to say (english as a second language for her). For that reason I have decided to attend my TA's office hours instead. My question is, if I build a strong relationship with my graduate TA instead of my professor, will that be a good letter of rec, or is that not what schools are looking for in LOR?

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Legally Spears wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Thoughts?

Taking a brief look at the trainer again would probably be helpful. As far as study plan goes. I'm doing ~4 weeks of the Trainer/untimed drilling. ~4 weeks of timed drilling/review and ~12 weeks of Prep test day, review day, review day, drill weak areas day, repeat. (If I finish the review early then I'll take the extra time to drill/brush up). The reason I don't have a concrete plan this time is that I felt flexibility was a serious issue last time with my schedule. If I write down what I want to do for the month for example, and don't accomplish it. It seriously bothers me and stresses me out.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Legally Spears wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Legally Spears wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Thoughts?

Jagerbom (how I miss one) what TLS stuff are you looking at? Anything particularly eye opening?

I just have read TLS's plan and found the information helpful. Not following his plan. Just doing Pithy Pike's drilling way of studying.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Legally Spears wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Waiting for the old preptest to get to my door so I can sort them by QT :/

DJ, what have you found effective for question sorting? What's your method?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=108425
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 03a509be80

I go through each test and use a different colored highlighter for the QT (i.e. green=assumption, yellow=Strengthen/Weaken, etc.). It is a super annoying long process but I am too lazy to find another way to do it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?