The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Rain

New

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Rain » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:42 pm

I have a feeling I wouldn't like living in NYC asides from maybe living around NYU since I hear its nice. Although its also inhospitably expensive. I think I'd want to avoid big law, although contract law is an interest of mine and that seems to lend itself to transactional unless I'm mistaken.

About the LSAT. I got a LR question wrong about two disagreeing parties. The right answr was the one that ostensibly both parties made statements about. The appealing wrong answer was what I read into it. It's hard not to have some interpretive gloss on it because the statements alone did not clearly articulate a disagreement point. All of this sounds vague, but my take away is that you have to completely restrain from reading your own point into any questions or paragtaphs, but instead accept that the stimulus/stem is a complete mess. Much like this paragraph.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:47 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:Shit that's basically exactly why I've changed the schools I'm looking at too haha. I see no point in paying 30k a year for a closest, on top of all the other shit that's way more expensive in a city, when a school in a nice college town will give me pretty similar outcomes. I don't have unicorn career goals so I don't think shooting for HYSCCN would be worth the cost.

I would like to be in NYC, maybe for a summer internship or something so when I'm 80 I can tell stories but, a town like Charlottesville or Ann Arbor is much more my groove especially because we will be entering the magnum opus of our academic career for the most part. I am really like the idea of UVA with ideally 3/4+ Scholly to BL in TX for ~5 years and transitioning to a firm or position in Atl or FL.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Rain wrote:I have a feeling I wouldn't like living in NYC asides from maybe living around NYU since I hear its nice. Although its also inhospitably expensive. I think I'd want to avoid big law, although contract law is an interest of mine and that seems to lend itself to transactional unless I'm mistaken.

About the LSAT. I got a LR question wrong about two disagreeing parties. The right answr was the one that ostensibly both parties made statements about. The appealing wrong answer was what I read into it. It's hard not to have some interpretive gloss on it because the statements alone did not clearly articulate a disagreement point. All of this sounds vague, but my take away is that you have to completely restrain from reading your own point into any questions or paragtaphs, but instead accept that the stimulus/stem is a complete mess. Much like this paragraph.

If I understood your statement correctly then this should make sense.

I became a motherfucker on LR when I genuinely learned to remove all my knowledge and just attack the question with straight, objective attacks designed on the QT itself. I've lost it (for now) but I think once you do that, LR becomes manageable.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:10 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:Shit that's basically exactly why I've changed the schools I'm looking at too haha. I see no point in paying 30k a year for a closest, on top of all the other shit that's way more expensive in a city, when a school in a nice college town will give me pretty similar outcomes. I don't have unicorn career goals so I don't think shooting for HYSCCN would be worth the cost.

I would like to be in NYC, maybe for a summer internship or something so when I'm 80 I can tell stories but, a town like Charlottesville or Ann Arbor is much more my groove especially because we will be entering the magnum opus of our academic career for the most part. I am really like the idea of UVA with ideally 3/4+ Scholly to BL in TX for ~5 years and transitioning to a firm or position in Atl or FL.

A summer internship would be the perfect amount of time to spend in NYC. You're there long enough to get the NYC experience and enjoy the city but then you get to leave and go somewhere else where a Big Law salary starts to actually be worth the hours. UVA tends to give fewer, but bigger, scholarships than other schools, right? Or do I have that ackwards? I really like college sports and the feel of a campus the day of a big game so I'm hoping a T14 with that to offer is in the cards for me.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:19 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

A summer internship would be the perfect amount of time to spend in NYC. You're there long enough to get the NYC experience and enjoy the city but then you get to leave and go somewhere else where a Big Law salary starts to actually be worth the hours. UVA tends to give fewer, but bigger, scholarships than other schools, right? Or do I have that ackwards? I really like college sports and the feel of a campus the day of a big game so I'm hoping a T14 with that to offer is in the cards for me.

uva is weird, sometimes their picky with money but I've seen some people get $130/170 with lackluster gpas. guess you kind of have to hope lady luck is on your side. the city is more tucked away than ann Arbor and their reach to TX is better than most the T14 I think.

*Weird capitalization and horrid grammar because mobile

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:24 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I've lived in TX since I was born. It's pretty dope. You could easily rent a luxurious townhome for 3 grand a month. Split that rent with 2 of your other successful friends and that's just a grand per person.

Lol, you lucked out if that is your birth state job wise, I want to migrate as close to FL as possible post BL (who knows, maybe BL will work out)

blackmamba8 wrote:A friend of mine was paying around $1500 for a really nice 1|1 in Houston. It'd be a helluva lot easier to payoff loans in TX no doubt. I'm not sure what the Big Law market is like in San Antonio but it's an awesome city. If I didn't hate warm weather with a passion I'd be gunning to go there, or, at the least, one of the big cities in TX.

The payoff is enticing as well, but my goal is to keep my loans around 50 grand not including COL of LS.

Your avi needs to be this
[+] Spoiler

Meh I guess. The heat is horrendous and Texas is honestly an ugly state. If I didn't get more cultured by joining a southern fraternity, I would probably move to NYC for law school like my parents wanted me to lol.

My goal is BL through UT/Duke/UVA and hopefully land BL in Austin. Then work for like 5-8 years then run for office

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:27 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Meh I guess. The heat is horrendous and Texas is honestly an ugly state. If I didn't get more cultured by joining a southern fraternity, I would probably move to NYC for law school like my parents wanted me to lol

i raise you central Florida for the heat factor, enjoy our humidity!

my parents are the opposite, they want me to stay as far away from nyc as possible (dad is Irish Bostonian so, yeah)

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:34 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Meh I guess. The heat is horrendous and Texas is honestly an ugly state. If I didn't get more cultured by joining a southern fraternity, I would probably move to NYC for law school like my parents wanted me to lol

my parents are the opposite, they want me to stay as far away from nyc as possible (dad is Irish Bostonian so, yeah)

I could commute from Connecticut to NYC for law school and work but I don't want high taxes, liberalism, and to leave my friends here

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:35 pm

PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

I could commute from Connecticut to NYC for law school and work but I don't want high taxes, liberalism, and to leave my friends here

liberalism, sir you best use my pronouns.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:39 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

liberalism, sir you best use my pronouns.

Did you just assume PrezRand's gender?

I raise you northern Indiana on the ugliness scale unless you're into cornfields as far as the eye can see.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:42 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:Did you just assume PrezRand's gender?

I raise you northern Indiana on the ugliness scale unless you're into cornfields as far as the eye can see.

OMG RAND I'M SORRY, I just lost 60 ENEMIES OF THE GATE points.

ahhh, the mythical land of mike Pence at least you have fast cars every now and again. someplace like Kansas or Nebraska would make me go crazy

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:52 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

ahhh, the mythical land of mike Pence at least you have fast cars every now and again. someplace like Kansas or Nebraska would make me go crazy

The Indy 500 is a shit show I would not recommend haha. You could always take up storm chasing if you lived there.

Rain

New

Postby Rain » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Speaking of the Midwest I love the Chicago area. If I'd ED anywhere it would be University of Chicago. I love snow, cold weather, and deep dish pizza.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Rain wrote:Speaking of the Midwest I love the Chicago area. If I'd ED anywhere it would be University of Chicago. I love snow, cold weather, and deep dish pizza.

Pretty reasonable COL for a big city as well.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:59 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

The Indy 500 is a shit show I would not recommend haha. You could always take up storm chasing if you lived there.

i like to people watch at Nascar events, I don't like the race particularly itself (I am a car person but watching things go in circles for 5 hours, no.) but seeing the people is always a spectacle in itself.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:00 pm

Rain wrote:Speaking of the Midwest I love the Chicago area. If I'd ED anywhere it would be University of Chicago. I love snow, cold weather, and deep dish pizza.

does ed to Chicago come with ruby?

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:04 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

i like to people watch at Nascar events, I don't like the race particularly itself (I am a car person but watching things go in circles for 5 hours, no.) but seeing the people is always a spectacle in itself.

Nascar events have to be dreams come true for people watchers. With the crazy amounts of alcohol people drink at them I'm sure some wild shit goes down.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:20 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

No. It comes with sticker

Rain

New

Postby Rain » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:23 pm

PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Thanks for reminding me not to do this if/when application time comes. Also no chance for Michigan or Northwestern with $$$ which interests me a lot as well.

AaronRodgers

New

Postby AaronRodgers » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:05 am

God i want to work in Chicago...shame UofC has such an absurd GPA median.

I have, like, Seattle-tier ties to the area though, so maybe I could get a job if I went to another T14? Who knows.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:09 am

Rain wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Thanks for reminding me not to do this if/when application time comes. Also no chance for Michigan or Northwestern with $$$ which interests me a lot as well.

Meh

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Last edited by Walliums on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greatspirit

Bronze

Postby greatspirit » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:47 pm

I want NYC big law, and want to attend law school outside of NYC - nothing like paying back non-NYC COL loans with NYC bias money.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Ugh, all this scholarship talk gets me stressed out. My GPA is 3.48, I'm on track to get my 170+, but I figure my only real shots at money are T8-14. I will have 8 years work experience as an engineer, plus a wife and 2 kids, but soft factors are such a crap shoot for estimating scholarship money. If I can't get 100k to one of the T14, I am highly unlikely to pull the trigger on law school at all.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Walliums wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I've lived in TX since I was born. It's pretty dope. You could easily rent a luxurious townhome for 3 grand a month. Split that rent with 2 of your other successful friends and that's just a grand per person.

Do you live in Houston? That looks super familiar.

yessir

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?