The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
11
28%
F#$k YES!!!
6
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
22
56%
 
Total votes: 39

JazzyMac

Bronze
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby JazzyMac » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:33 pm

*Not a fan of being ignored...deleting posts*
Last edited by JazzyMac on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
greatspirit

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby greatspirit » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 am

somedeadman wrote:
greatspirit wrote:
somedeadman wrote:Full-time workers; I studied for an hour a day during the week, and took a practice test on the weekend for 7 months, and was able to get a 169. It's doable



Any more details on your approach to your studies? Thankfully I'm not working full time now, but want to be roughly 3 months before the test.

You're in a good situation then. The first 3 months of my studying I was unemployed, and really hit the powerscore bibles hard. This was the most frustrating part of studying, but once you start to understand the general concepts, things start clicking.

First 3 months - Powerscore bibles, drilling, occasional practice test (this can be demoralizing, so it's not absolutely necessary). Probably studied 20-30 hours a week
Next 6 months - did a section every day during lunch, then went over it when I got home. Took practice tests on the weekends, and BRed them. I was extremely diligent about this. No matter what came up, this schedule was not broken.

I was stuck in the 167-171 plateau for the last 3 months of my study process, so this may be able to be condensed. Basically, don't be intimidated by this test if you're working full-time.



Glad that the 3 Powerscore Bibles and all prior tests are all I have at the moment!

I particularly like that you took a practice test once a week...and did not let anything stop you. I really have to accept that doing at least one practice test a week is the best thing I can do between now and June.

Going to do one tomorrow! I got a 146 on my 1/14 "diagnostic" and since then I've only finished the LR bible chapter on assumption questions, and read a bit more of the LG chapter on advanced linear games. Will do more studying today.

somedeadman

Bronze
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby somedeadman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:02 am

greatspirit wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
greatspirit wrote:
somedeadman wrote:Full-time workers; I studied for an hour a day during the week, and took a practice test on the weekend for 7 months, and was able to get a 169. It's doable



Any more details on your approach to your studies? Thankfully I'm not working full time now, but want to be roughly 3 months before the test.

You're in a good situation then. The first 3 months of my studying I was unemployed, and really hit the powerscore bibles hard. This was the most frustrating part of studying, but once you start to understand the general concepts, things start clicking.

First 3 months - Powerscore bibles, drilling, occasional practice test (this can be demoralizing, so it's not absolutely necessary). Probably studied 20-30 hours a week
Next 6 months - did a section every day during lunch, then went over it when I got home. Took practice tests on the weekends, and BRed them. I was extremely diligent about this. No matter what came up, this schedule was not broken.

I was stuck in the 167-171 plateau for the last 3 months of my study process, so this may be able to be condensed. Basically, don't be intimidated by this test if you're working full-time.



Glad that the 3 Powerscore Bibles and all prior tests are all I have at the moment!

I particularly like that you took a practice test once a week...and did not let anything stop you. I really have to accept that doing at least one practice test a week is the best thing I can do between now and June.

Going to do one tomorrow! I got a 146 on my 1/14 "diagnostic" and since then I've only finished the LR bible chapter on assumption questions, and read a bit more of the LG chapter on advanced linear games. Will do more studying today.

146 was my diagnostic. I got into Northwestern a few days ago. Let nothing stop you.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:03 pm

somedeadman wrote:146 was my diagnostic. I got into Northwestern a few days ago. Let nothing stop you.


Did you hard commit?

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:25 pm

somedeadman wrote:
greatspirit wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
greatspirit wrote:
somedeadman wrote:Full-time workers; I studied for an hour a day during the week, and took a practice test on the weekend for 7 months, and was able to get a 169. It's doable



Any more details on your approach to your studies? Thankfully I'm not working full time now, but want to be roughly 3 months before the test.

You're in a good situation then. The first 3 months of my studying I was unemployed, and really hit the powerscore bibles hard. This was the most frustrating part of studying, but once you start to understand the general concepts, things start clicking.

First 3 months - Powerscore bibles, drilling, occasional practice test (this can be demoralizing, so it's not absolutely necessary). Probably studied 20-30 hours a week
Next 6 months - did a section every day during lunch, then went over it when I got home. Took practice tests on the weekends, and BRed them. I was extremely diligent about this. No matter what came up, this schedule was not broken.

I was stuck in the 167-171 plateau for the last 3 months of my study process, so this may be able to be condensed. Basically, don't be intimidated by this test if you're working full-time.



Glad that the 3 Powerscore Bibles and all prior tests are all I have at the moment!

I particularly like that you took a practice test once a week...and did not let anything stop you. I really have to accept that doing at least one practice test a week is the best thing I can do between now and June.

Going to do one tomorrow! I got a 146 on my 1/14 "diagnostic" and since then I've only finished the LR bible chapter on assumption questions, and read a bit more of the LG chapter on advanced linear games. Will do more studying today.

146 was my diagnostic. I got into Northwestern a few days ago. Let nothing stop you.


Congrats on NW and the progress!

somedeadman

Bronze
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby somedeadman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:55 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:146 was my diagnostic. I got into Northwestern a few days ago. Let nothing stop you.


Did you hard commit?

Not yet. Need to submit my financial information first and see what the money looks like, but I'll probably go there.

Still taking the June 2017 LSAT

somedeadman

Bronze
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby somedeadman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:58 pm

[quote="jagerbom79]

Congrats on NW and the progress![/quote]
Thank you!

sharpie202

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:11 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby sharpie202 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Does anyone have a day-to-day LSAT study schedule? I have found all of this advice super helpful, but am looking for a day-to-day "workout" plan to break the studying down even more. I know this may vary from person-to-person, but a template to start off would be valuable!

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:48 pm

sharpie202 wrote:Does anyone have a day-to-day LSAT study schedule? I have found all of this advice super helpful, but am looking for a day-to-day "workout" plan to break the studying down even more. I know this may vary from person-to-person, but a template to start off would be valuable!


What books are you using?

Powerscore, Manhattan, and the Trainer all have study guides that are pretty helpful if you want more of a guide

sharpie202

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:11 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby sharpie202 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:54 pm

I have finished going through powerscore and the trainer, but am looking for more of a day-to-day with drills and want not before I ramp up and do practice tests (taking in June 2017)

User avatar
aurelian

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby aurelian » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:12 pm

sharpie202 wrote:Does anyone have a day-to-day LSAT study schedule? I have found all of this advice super helpful, but am looking for a day-to-day "workout" plan to break the studying down even more. I know this may vary from person-to-person, but a template to start off would be valuable!


Also highly recommend 7Sage's core curriculum, which I have been using for the last two weeks. This is all assuming that you are an good self-studyer. If not, I would recommend a course or a tutor if you can afford it.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:03 pm

Anyone here trying to work in a city they are not from other than NYC and DC?

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:07 pm

PrezRand wrote:Anyone here trying to work in a city they are not from other than NYC and DC?

Ideally I'd like to work in Boston. I'm not sure how realistic that is, though.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:15 pm

PrezRand wrote:Anyone here trying to work in a city they are not from other than NYC and DC?


We've been having a discussion in the Sept. Waiters thread about how landing BL in TX with a UVA/Duke/other T14 degree with minimal debt would be a good goal.

Reason being T14---->TX is because of the reach that you have if you chose to leave the state post BL; it looks like an attractive offer if I can map out a reasonable route.

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:40 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Anyone here trying to work in a city they are not from other than NYC and DC?


We've been having a discussion in the Sept. Waiters thread about how landing BL in TX with a UVA/Duke/other T14 degree with minimal debt would be a good goal.

Reason being T14---->TX is because of the reach that you have if you chose to leave the state post BL; it looks like an attractive offer if I can map out a reasonable route.

No state income tax :D

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:55 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Anyone here trying to work in a city they are not from other than NYC and DC?


We've been having a discussion in the Sept. Waiters thread about how landing BL in TX with a UVA/Duke/other T14 degree with minimal debt would be a good goal.

Reason being T14---->TX is because of the reach that you have if you chose to leave the state post BL; it looks like an attractive offer if I can map out a reasonable route.

No state income tax :D


COL is the biggest draw for me, 5g in NYC gets you a nice place but 5g in TX, you can rent a goddamn mansion practically.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:07 pm

I've lived in TX since I was born. It's pretty dope. You could easily rent a luxurious townhome for 3 grand a month. Split that rent with 2 of your other successful friends and that's just a grand per person.

Image
Last edited by PrezRand on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:07 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Anyone here trying to work in a city they are not from other than NYC and DC?


We've been having a discussion in the Sept. Waiters thread about how landing BL in TX with a UVA/Duke/other T14 degree with minimal debt would be a good goal.

Reason being T14---->TX is because of the reach that you have if you chose to leave the state post BL; it looks like an attractive offer if I can map out a reasonable route.

No state income tax :D


COL is the biggest draw for me, 5g in NYC gets you a nice place but 5g in TX, you can rent a goddamn mansion practically.

A friend of mine was paying around $1500 for a really nice 1|1 in Houston. It'd be a helluva lot easier to payoff loans in TX no doubt. I'm not sure what the Big Law market is like in San Antonio but it's an awesome city. If I didn't hate warm weather with a passion I'd be gunning to go there, or, at the least, one of the big cities in TX.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:26 pm

PrezRand wrote:I've lived in TX since I was born. It's pretty dope. You could easily rent a luxurious townhome for 3 grand a month. Split that rent with 2 of your other successful friends and that's just a grand per person.

Image


Lol, you lucked out if that is your birth state job wise, I want to migrate as close to FL as possible post BL (who knows, maybe BL will work out)


blackmamba8 wrote:A friend of mine was paying around $1500 for a really nice 1|1 in Houston. It'd be a helluva lot easier to payoff loans in TX no doubt. I'm not sure what the Big Law market is like in San Antonio but it's an awesome city. If I didn't hate warm weather with a passion I'd be gunning to go there, or, at the least, one of the big cities in TX.


The payoff is enticing as well, but my goal is to keep my loans around 50 grand not including COL of LS.

Your avi needs to be this
[+] Spoiler
Image

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:33 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I've lived in TX since I was born. It's pretty dope. You could easily rent a luxurious townhome for 3 grand a month. Split that rent with 2 of your other successful friends and that's just a grand per person.

Image


Lol, you lucked out if that is your birth state job wise, I want to migrate as close to FL as possible post BL (who knows, maybe BL will work out)


blackmamba8 wrote:A friend of mine was paying around $1500 for a really nice 1|1 in Houston. It'd be a helluva lot easier to payoff loans in TX no doubt. I'm not sure what the Big Law market is like in San Antonio but it's an awesome city. If I didn't hate warm weather with a passion I'd be gunning to go there, or, at the least, one of the big cities in TX.


The payoff is enticing as well, but my goal is to keep my loans around 50 grand not including COL of LS.

Your avi needs to be this
[+] Spoiler
Image

Only $50k would be a nice amount. Savings/relatively frugal living during law school would keep COL in check. $150k+ in loans --> NYC Big law is the outcome I want to avoid like the plague.

Honestly every time I try making an avi it says my picture is too big and I can't figure out what to do lmao. :oops:

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:38 pm

[quote="blackmamba8"
Only $50k would be a nice amount. Savings/relatively frugal living during law school would keep COL in check. $150k+ in loans --> NYC Big law is the outcome I want to avoid like the plague.

Honestly every time I try making an avi it says my picture is too big and I can't figure out what to do lmao. :oops:[/quote]

I'm cool going up to 75 barring a BL salary almost guaranteed, that is mostly why (aside from family arguing) I postponed my December retake to June. Stalking LSN and doing research people have gotten damn near full rides to UVA with my gpa and a LSAT score that I'm shooting higher than. NYC BL I'd like to avoid, too expensive and the city life would probably take a few years off my life; which is why Columbia gets pushed from #1 to #5 when scholarship comes into play.

That happened to me too, idk how to fix it lol I just brute forced it until GSP stuck.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:38 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:Only $50k would be a nice amount. Savings/relatively frugal living during law school would keep COL in check. $150k+ in loans --> NYC Big law is the outcome I want to avoid like the plague.

Honestly every time I try making an avi it says my picture is too big and I can't figure out what to do lmao. :oops:


I'm cool going up to 75 barring a BL salary almost guaranteed, that is mostly why (aside from family arguing) I postponed my December retake to June. Stalking LSN and doing research people have gotten damn near full rides to UVA with my gpa and a LSAT score that I'm shooting higher than. NYC BL I'd like to avoid, too expensive and the city life would probably take a few years off my life; which is why Columbia gets pushed from #1 to #5 when scholarship comes into play.

That happened to me too, idk how to fix it lol I just brute forced it until GSP stuck.[/quote]

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:00 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:Only $50k would be a nice amount. Savings/relatively frugal living during law school would keep COL in check. $150k+ in loans --> NYC Big law is the outcome I want to avoid like the plague.

Honestly every time I try making an avi it says my picture is too big and I can't figure out what to do lmao. :oops:


I'm cool going up to 75 barring a BL salary almost guaranteed, that is mostly why (aside from family arguing) I postponed my December retake to June. Stalking LSN and doing research people have gotten damn near full rides to UVA with my gpa and a LSAT score that I'm shooting higher than. NYC BL I'd like to avoid, too expensive and the city life would probably take a few years off my life; which is why Columbia gets pushed from #1 to #5 when scholarship comes into play.

That happened to me too, idk how to fix it lol I just brute forced it until GSP stuck.
[/quote]
How much are you expecting COL to add to that? Obviously that depends on where you end up going, but I see some say around $100k for the 3 years. Unless you're living in a city like New York I just can't really see it being anywhere close to that

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:08 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:Only $50k would be a nice amount. Savings/relatively frugal living during law school would keep COL in check. $150k+ in loans --> NYC Big law is the outcome I want to avoid like the plague.

Honestly every time I try making an avi it says my picture is too big and I can't figure out what to do lmao. :oops:


I'm cool going up to 75 barring a BL salary almost guaranteed, that is mostly why (aside from family arguing) I postponed my December retake to June. Stalking LSN and doing research people have gotten damn near full rides to UVA with my gpa and a LSAT score that I'm shooting higher than. NYC BL I'd like to avoid, too expensive and the city life would probably take a few years off my life; which is why Columbia gets pushed from #1 to #5 when scholarship comes into play.

That happened to me too, idk how to fix it lol I just brute forced it until GSP stuck.

How much are you expecting COL to add to that? Obviously that depends on where you end up going, but I see some say around $100k for the 3 years. Unless you're living in a city like New York I just can't really see it being anywhere close to that[/quote]

Not much tbh if it is UVA or Umich (Not sure about Duke COL), I've saved decent amount of money from working throughout undergrad and have a pretty decent job now; NYC I'm fucked that is 30g a year to live in a closet in Harlem. I am fortunate enough to have my parents cover my food/insurance so the only thing on my part is rent. That is why I've kind of changed gears to UVA/UMich/Duke with decent money (Please Law Gods).

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:39 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:Only $50k would be a nice amount. Savings/relatively frugal living during law school would keep COL in check. $150k+ in loans --> NYC Big law is the outcome I want to avoid like the plague.

Honestly every time I try making an avi it says my picture is too big and I can't figure out what to do lmao. :oops:


I'm cool going up to 75 barring a BL salary almost guaranteed, that is mostly why (aside from family arguing) I postponed my December retake to June. Stalking LSN and doing research people have gotten damn near full rides to UVA with my gpa and a LSAT score that I'm shooting higher than. NYC BL I'd like to avoid, too expensive and the city life would probably take a few years off my life; which is why Columbia gets pushed from #1 to #5 when scholarship comes into play.

That happened to me too, idk how to fix it lol I just brute forced it until GSP stuck.

How much are you expecting COL to add to that? Obviously that depends on where you end up going, but I see some say around $100k for the 3 years. Unless you're living in a city like New York I just can't really see it being anywhere close to that


Not much tbh if it is UVA or Umich (Not sure about Duke COL), I've saved decent amount of money from working throughout undergrad and have a pretty decent job now; NYC I'm fucked that is 30g a year to live in a closet in Harlem. I am fortunate enough to have my parents cover my food/insurance so the only thing on my part is rent. That is why I've kind of changed gears to UVA/UMich/Duke with decent money (Please Law Gods).[/quote]

Shit that's basically exactly why I've changed the schools I'm looking at too haha. I see no point in paying 30k a year for a closest, on top of all the other shit that's way more expensive in a city, when a school in a nice college town will give me pretty similar outcomes. I don't have unicorn career goals so I don't think shooting for HYSCCN would be worth the cost.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 10 guests