The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:41 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:Finished Chapter 16 in the trainer today... Need to pick up the pace a little bit. Hoping to finish another chapter or 2 today. Goal is to finish the Trainer by Feb1 and then sstart the Manhattan books and Drilling.

r u me?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:48 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Finished Chapter 16 in the trainer today... Need to pick up the pace a little bit. Hoping to finish another chapter or 2 today. Goal is to finish the Trainer by Feb1 and then sstart the Manhattan books and Drilling.

r u me?

There is an idea of a DJ...some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:53 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

r u me?

There is an idea of a DJ...some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.

I know the American Psycho but I prefer this abstraction

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:03 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

r u me?

I know the American Psycho but I prefer this abstraction

Haha yes! Definitely another great abstraction

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:13 pm

PresidentIJohnson wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:
PresidentIJohnson wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
PresidentIJohnson wrote:How much do y'all plan to PT in a given week? I'm looking at probably 1-2 times followed with a good blind review. I won't start PTing until after I finish 7Sage, and drill untimed individually for a little bit.

I plan on doing two a week, probably on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I've read some posts on here about 8 section tests really helping with endurance so I think I'm going to try that out.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what exactly do you mean by 8 section tests?

I think instead of doing just the 4 sections the test usually has (not counting the experimental), you do 8 sections back to back. So basically 2 tests.

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure.

I would determine what your "fatigue risk" is before doing an 8 section test. My study schedule is limited to 1 hour a night, after the kids go to bed. I do 1 timed practice section, blind review, and then grade and document errors in a word document. At the end of 4 sections, I sum up my score and count it as a full PT. Using this breakdown I've done 15 tests now. I've also done 2 full four-section PT's, about a month apart. Both times that I've done a full section test, I've scored exactly the same as my most recent "4 section sum" test. So, I find for me that fatigue is not an issue.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:16 pm

What resources are you guys using for drilling questions? I guess I thought the only way to study was doing timed sections.... since that's all I've been doing since Day 1.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:33 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Walliums wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
njames1961 wrote:Typically what would one need to get a decent scholly at a mid-level T14 if you're not a splitter and have a 3.9+?

165 minimum I think. Depends on what you call decent. If decent means fully then you'll want 169+.

With 3.9 you should wait until you can consistently get 172+ and you'll be rolin in $/crimson

What do you think about a bit of a lower GPA, like 3.75 area?

I didn't mean that a 3.75 was a low GPA... I meant a lower GPA than a 3.9+ since those two aren't the same :)

I know lol I was just riffing until we all become neurotic

Just will become zombies with serious gainz

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Walliums wrote:
Just will become zombies with serious gainz

lmao that is me already

LawLivesMatter

New

Postby LawLivesMatter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Purchased 7Sage and doing 2 hours a day in addition to my last semester of UG, I will finish the core curriculum before my finals (May 7th ish). Then I will begin doing PTs 2 or 3 times a week for the remaining month until the LSAT. Will these 8-12 PTs be enough or would you all advise taking the September LSAT, getting in about 45 PTs, doing 2 a week. I worry about burnout taking this path. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

LawLivesMatter

New

Postby LawLivesMatter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:02 pm

LawLivesMatter wrote:Purchased 7Sage and doing 2 hours a day in addition to my last semester of UG, I will finish the core curriculum before my finals (May 7th ish). Then I will begin doing PTs 2 or 3 times a week for the remaining month until the LSAT. Will these 8-12 PTs be enough or would you all advise taking the September LSAT, getting in about 45 PTs, doing 2 a week. I worry about burnout taking this path. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Also, big time splitter. 3.2 in biology at a middle of the road state school. Hoping to score 172+. URM. Looking at NYU, Michigan, Northwestern, Georgetown, UT-austin, UCLA. Just some additional info I thought might be insightful.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:22 pm

LawLivesMatter wrote:Purchased 7Sage and doing 2 hours a day in addition to my last semester of UG, I will finish the core curriculum before my finals (May 7th ish). Then I will begin doing PTs 2 or 3 times a week for the remaining month until the LSAT. Will these 8-12 PTs be enough or would you all advise taking the September LSAT, getting in about 45 PTs, doing 2 a week. I worry about burnout taking this path. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I think you should do more PTs than that.. 1 month is too little time, imo but it also depends on where you're scoring.

If you decide for September, just take some days off from doing PTs every so often and you'll most likely avoid burnout.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Be ready to shift your schedule several times (I was not ready to accept this when I read it in one of the lessons, but it is so true). Also, do not move on with the curriculum until you have completely mastered a lesson, if that includes repeating a drill or quiz until you have the idea completely down, then so be it. Lastly, it took me about 6 months to get through the curriculum when I was anticipating 1-2 months, it takes most people 2 months but the difference with me was that I was supplementing all the LR from 1-38 to each lesson, and foolproofing every game from 1-40.

I think 10-5 PT's is good if your crunched for time, whatever you end up doing make sure your UGPA is your number 1 priority! I also agree with Mikey on not burning out. Finally, I think it is so important to thoroughly review each PT you take-that takes precedence over the number of PT's you take. One thing I am doing with PT's is making sure I take 5 section PT's so when it is game day, it is just another PT and there are no surprises.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:00 pm

So Testmasters is doing a mock LSAT at my school soon for $20. It'd be nice to do because it'd simulate testing conditions as much as possible, but I haven't drilled games or RC in ~3 weeks and I don't really want to start PTing for another couple months. Plus I don't know which PT they're using so it might be one I've already taken.

LawLivesMatter

New

Postby LawLivesMatter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:15 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:

Be ready to shift your schedule several times (I was not ready to accept this when I read it in one of the lessons, but it is so true). Also, do not move on with the curriculum until you have completely mastered a lesson, if that includes repeating a drill or quiz until you have the idea completely down, then so be it. Lastly, it took me about 6 months to get through the curriculum when I was anticipating 1-2 months, it takes most people 2 months but the difference with me was that I was supplementing all the LR from 1-38 to each lesson, and foolproofing every game from 1-40.

I think 10-5 PT's is good if your crunched for time, whatever you end up doing make sure your UGPA is your number 1 priority! I also agree with Mikey on not burning out. Finally, I think it is so important to thoroughly review each PT you take-that takes precedence over the number of PT's you take. One thing I am doing with PT's is making sure I take 5 section PT's so when it is game day, it is just another PT and there are no surprises.

Great stuff from you and mikey! I think switching to September is making more and more sense to just make sure I have everything down and don't rush through critical lessons. My last concern is that I would like to get my applications in as early as possible. Is there a difference in applying late october vs applying right when schools start taking applications. Looking to take the largest scholarship I get from any of the earlier mentioned schools I'm looking at.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:20 pm

LawLivesMatter wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

Great stuff from you and mikey! I think switching to September is making more and more sense to just make sure I have everything down and don't rush through critical lessons. My last concern is that I would like to get my applications in as early as possible. Is there a difference in applying late october vs applying right when schools start taking applications. Looking to take the largest scholarship I get from any of the earlier mentioned schools I'm looking at.

:)

I think as long as your apps are in by thanksgiving weekend, you should be fine! You might want to ask in the MS9 thread though, I remember listening to one of their recordings about when is early, when is on time, and when is late and I think that's what they said..

CHyde

Bronze

Postby CHyde » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Last edited by CHyde on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:58 pm

CHyde wrote:Checking in!

Got low 170s in December, trying to get to mid/upper 170s by June.

I'm taking my first PT in a month and a half tonight. It's like coming back to a drug that hurts so good.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm taking my first PT in a month and a half tonight. It's like coming back to a drug that hurts so good.

Good luck!

CHyde

Bronze

Postby CHyde » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Last edited by CHyde on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aurelian

New

Postby aurelian » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:08 pm

The Trainer has been so, so fucking key for me on RC and LR. Anyone else feel the same? I feel like if I stop struggling on LG I will really knock this one out of the park.

Additional question: what is the general consensus on finishing your apps before December but taking the December LSAT. I have a GPA that would give put me over the 75th at pretty much every school, I just want to have a fallback option if I decide to switch to Sept.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:17 pm

aurelian wrote:The Trainer has been so, so fucking key for me on RC and LR. Anyone else feel the same? I feel like if I stop struggling on LG I will really knock this one out of the park.

Additional question: what is the general consensus on finishing your apps before December but taking the December LSAT. I have a GPA that would give put me over the 75th at pretty much every school, I just want to have a fallback option if I decide to switch to Sept.

trainer really helps fill in some inconsistency in RC for me, need to work on confidence personally; highly motivated DJ with a good head on his shoulders should hit his target score.

Lot of people do the December thing; my apps are like 90% complete barring PS and a new LOR I want to be like one of the first 100 to be applied.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:40 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

I'm really itchin for a 180 in a can

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:49 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

my pic too big

I'd kill for a 180, idk how doable it is in practice tho my mentality is all fucked. thought I'd be moved by now but because of shit I have another 10 days and I fucking hate my hometown; like I just did 15 LR and missed 8, man the longer I'm here the more I fall.

aurelian

New

Postby aurelian » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:32 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

my pic too big

I'd kill for a 180, idk how doable it is in practice tho my mentality is all fucked. thought I'd be moved by now but because of shit I have another 10 days and I fucking hate my hometown; like I just did 15 LR and missed 8, man the longer I'm here the more I fall.

No worries, you still got this man - four and a half months is plenty. I do feel that working LSAT at home just fucks me up. I would almost suggest going to the town over -- that's what I do and it works splendid lol

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 pm

aurelian wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

my pic too big

No worries, you still got this man - four and a half months is plenty. I do feel that working LSAT at home just fucks me up. I would almost suggest going to the town over -- that's what I do and it works splendid lol

I know I just wish I was still at my former glory of hitting 175s all day; I know once I move I'll have access to my uni's libraries which are 24/7. CHOOCHOO NO SOCIAL LIFE

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?