The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:19 am

blackmamba8 wrote:I feel so nostalgic whenever I'm walking around my campus and I don't even graduate until May. I really hope I can find a decent job around here so I can stick around next year. My major was nice for my GPA but it sucks when I'm looking for jobs.

jobs normally don't give a shit about gpa, they like experience more; barring the field of course.

PresidentIJohnson

New

Postby PresidentIJohnson » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:34 am

How much do y'all plan to PT in a given week? I'm looking at probably 1-2 times followed with a good blind review. I won't start PTing until after I finish 7Sage, and drill untimed individually for a little bit.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:34 am

dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:I feel so nostalgic whenever I'm walking around my campus and I don't even graduate until May. I really hope I can find a decent job around here so I can stick around next year. My major was nice for my GPA but it sucks when I'm looking for jobs.

jobs normally don't give a shit about gpa, they like experience more; barring the field of course.

Yeah the experience part is where I'm having some trouble. I'll find one that sounds sweet but then I'll see they want 3+ years of experience or some shit like that :roll: I just wanna find a chill job that'll let me pay my rent and hopefully save a little, nothing fancy at all. Once I start law school I'll have the rest of my life to worry about high-stress jobs, a relaxed gap year will be good for me I think.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:37 am

PresidentIJohnson wrote:How much do y'all plan to PT in a given week? I'm looking at probably 1-2 times followed with a good blind review. I won't start PTing until after I finish 7Sage, and drill untimed individually for a little bit.

I plan on doing two a week, probably on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I've read some posts on here about 8 section tests really helping with endurance so I think I'm going to try that out.

PresidentIJohnson

New

Postby PresidentIJohnson » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:42 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
PresidentIJohnson wrote:How much do y'all plan to PT in a given week? I'm looking at probably 1-2 times followed with a good blind review. I won't start PTing until after I finish 7Sage, and drill untimed individually for a little bit.

I plan on doing two a week, probably on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I've read some posts on here about 8 section tests really helping with endurance so I think I'm going to try that out.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what exactly do you mean by 8 section tests?

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:49 am

dj9i27 wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:Reading through the posts here always motivates me to get back to studying :)

my goal is to get the trainer done by the 1st and then move to heavy drilling and the Manhattan series, followed by timed drilling at PTs for the last 2 months. what about you?

I had a whole schedule planned out since September (that I didn't keep to very well sadly, so I'm a bit behind). Now though, I'm going through the PowerScore books, but without really drilling, just doing the questions in the book itself. Once I'm done with PS LR, I'm going to use Manhattan and drill properly with that. After PS LG tho, I figured I'd just drill with the 7sage videos.

I'm thinking of doing untimed, then timed sections during the Trainer, which'll be after Manhattan. All that will probs take me till the end of March/start of April. So rest of the time will be timed pts.
Good plan? Or too much in too little time?

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:53 am

PresidentIJohnson wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

I think instead of doing just the 4 sections the test usually has (not counting the experimental), you do 8 sections back to back. So basically 2 tests.

PresidentIJohnson

New

Postby PresidentIJohnson » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:57 am

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
PresidentIJohnson wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

I think instead of doing just the 4 sections the test usually has (not counting the experimental), you do 8 sections back to back. So basically 2 tests.

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:57 am

PresidentIJohnson wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

You do one 4 section test, take a 15 minute break, and then do another 4 section test. Posters have said it makes normal 5 section tests seem a lot shorter/not as exhausting. If I do it I think I'll use one fresh test and one test I've done before so that way I don't waste a fresh test by taking it when fatigued.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:06 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
PresidentIJohnson wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

You do one 4 section test, take a 15 minute break, and then do another 4 section test. Posters have said it makes normal 5 section tests seem a lot shorter/not as exhausting. If I do it I think I'll use one fresh test and one test I've done before so that way I don't waste a fresh test by taking it when fatigued.

How often would you do it? I think I'd like to try it, but I'm a little worried about the whole burnout factor.

PresidentIJohnson

New

Postby PresidentIJohnson » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:12 am

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
PresidentIJohnson wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

How often would you do it? I think I'd like to try it, but I'm a little worried about the whole burnout factor.

I may do that a few times leading up to the test, but I don't think I could do that full time. I can see how it would help with fatigue on test day, however.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:13 am

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:Reading through the posts here always motivates me to get back to studying :)

my goal is to get the trainer done by the 1st and then move to heavy drilling and the Manhattan series, followed by timed drilling at PTs for the last 2 months. what about you?

I had a whole schedule planned out since September (that I didn't keep to very well sadly, so I'm a bit behind). Now though, I'm going through the PowerScore books, but without really drilling, just doing the questions in the book itself. Once I'm done with PS LR, I'm going to use Manhattan and drill properly with that. After PS LG tho, I figured I'd just drill with the 7sage videos.

I'm thinking of doing untimed, then timed sections during the Trainer, which'll be after Manhattan. All that will probs take me till the end of March/start of April. So rest of the time will be timed pts.

Sprinkle some PTs in between the times of Feb and March then go all out on PT and timed drilling April-June (It is in mid june right? Please god mid june) and you'll be good.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:15 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Yeah the experience part is where I'm having some trouble. I'll find one that sounds sweet but then I'll see they want 3+ years of experience or some shit like that :roll: I just wanna find a chill job that'll let me pay my rent and hopefully save a little, nothing fancy at all. Once I start law school I'll have the rest of my life to worry about high-stress jobs, a relaxed gap year will be good for me I think.

Apply anyways TBH, I finally landed a circuit court job in my college town, move this weekend (Thank Christ). Check everywhere local firms typically post on Monster and Craigslist. I want to save up and get a part time as an LSAT instructor (barring great score) to save up for some nice stuff I'd like to get before law school.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:19 am

dj9i27 wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Sprinkle some PTs in between the times of Feb and March then go all out on PT and timed drilling April-June (It is in mid june right? Please god mid june) and you'll be good.

June 12th. So...sorta mid June?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:25 am

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

June 12th. So...sorta mid June?

Yeahhhhhh 1.5 weeks into the month, 177 here I come Please, God

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:35 am

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
PresidentIJohnson wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:

I haven't thought that far ahead yet haha but not too often I don't think. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks or so.

In fear of getting the dreaded experimental RC on test day I think I'm going to make that my experimental section for the majority of my PTs and then work on doing back-to-back RC sections when I'm drilling.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:41 am

dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Apply anyways TBH, I finally landed a circuit court job in my college town, move this weekend (Thank Christ). Check everywhere local firms typically post on Monster and Craigslist. I want to save up and get a part time as an LSAT instructor (barring great score) to save up for some nice stuff I'd like to get before law school.

Congrats man! And thanks, I'll look around those sites for some openings. Being an LSAT instructor would be a sweet gig. Would you want to do it for a prep company or independently?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:44 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Congrats man! And thanks, I'll look around those sites for some openings. Being an LSAT instructor would be a sweet gig. Would you want to do it for a prep company or independently?

Prep company for sure, 15 hours a week at what $30 or $40 an hour? Fuck yes give me all of your classes. I'm not sure how competitive it is but I'll just study my ass off to get a high score and not worry about it.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:31 am

dj9i27 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Niceeeee

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:54 pm

So I have a bunch of notes from Powerscore/7Sage from my last take (December), and plan on going through the Trainer starting next week. Should I use these notes from my last take? I have everything divided by question type etc. but I'm thinking about re-writing the notes into more concise/beneficial study material. Also, having 16-18 tabs in my LSAT binder is giving me anxiety.

How often do you guys look back at the notes you take for tips on answering questions?

Last take I'd say I didn't look back too often, if I was struggling with a question type, I'd watch the 7sage lesson then drill. I think it may be more beneficial to look at all my options for strategies to answer certain questions.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:18 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
njames1961 wrote:Typically what would one need to get a decent scholly at a mid-level T14 if you're not a splitter and have a 3.9+?

165 minimum I think. Depends on what you call decent. If decent means fully then you'll want 169+.

With 3.9 you should wait until you can consistently get 172+ and you'll be rolin in $/crimson

What do you think about a bit of a lower GPA, like 3.75 area?

I didn't mean that a 3.75 was a low GPA... I meant a lower GPA than a 3.9+ since those two aren't the same :)

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:So I have a bunch of notes from Powerscore/7Sage from my last take (December), and plan on going through the Trainer starting next week. Should I use these notes from my last take? I have everything divided by question type etc. but I'm thinking about re-writing the notes into more concise/beneficial study material. Also, having 16-18 tabs in my LSAT binder is giving me anxiety.

How often do you guys look back at the notes you take for tips on answering questions?

Last take I'd say I didn't look back too often, if I was struggling with a question type, I'd watch the 7sage lesson then drill. I think it may be more beneficial to look at all my options for strategies to answer certain questions.

id use your notes as a refresher since you took a small break, but you probably wont need them after some drilling.

i think theres a point in prep where looking at option strategies becomes less helpful and the focus moves towards realizing what the answer choices do/ how they fit into the argument or strategies. hard questions are hard because they dont usually fit into a mold conducive towards relying on strategies.

aurelian

New

Postby aurelian » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Has anyone used the 7Sage Course? What level (UltimateX, Starter, etc.) did you purchase and why? Looking to start up the core curriculum because I'm almost done with the Trainer.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Finished Chapter 16 in the trainer today... Need to pick up the pace a little bit. Hoping to finish another chapter or 2 today. Goal is to finish the Trainer by Feb1 and then sstart the Manhattan books and Drilling.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Walliums wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
njames1961 wrote:Typically what would one need to get a decent scholly at a mid-level T14 if you're not a splitter and have a 3.9+?

165 minimum I think. Depends on what you call decent. If decent means fully then you'll want 169+.

With 3.9 you should wait until you can consistently get 172+ and you'll be rolin in $/crimson

What do you think about a bit of a lower GPA, like 3.75 area?

I didn't mean that a 3.75 was a low GPA... I meant a lower GPA than a 3.9+ since those two aren't the same :)

I know lol I was just riffing until we all become neurotic

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?