The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
11
28%
F#$k YES!!!
6
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
22
56%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:54 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Took a PT today, really wasn't feeling it.
LR1: -3 after changing a correct ac to a wrong ac
RC: -3 because I feel like they were kinda BS questions/answer choices
LG: -0
LR2: -6 lol I was just ready to get it over with.
Score is a 170, 179 on BR. Realistically should've been like a 173, and I'll enjoy my last day being able to make excuses and saying what it "should've been." I feel ok about monday, I'm guessing I'll be between 172-174, was really hoping for 175+ but that shit is hard.


Same here. I really want to hit my PT average but I've been stuck around 171 in the late 70s. Guessing I will be around there on test day. I look at some of my high scores (two 177s and a 179) and think "how tf did I do that?"

Platopus wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:You guys think we'll see another harsh curve? -10?

I really don't think so. The trend has been towards having one or both of hard LG/RC with average LR. I don't think they could possibly justify a -10 if this holds. I'm feeling -12 on Monday.


I wouldn't be surprised if we see a "harder" test with a -12 or -13 point curve. Last couple tests (barring February, of course), have been -10/-11 curves.


For some reason I feel like RC is going to be insane. Like pin factory insane. LG will be three easy games and one weirdo. LR will be standard.


Pretty sure I went -0 on the entire RC section, so that's okay with me :D


oh screw you plato :wink:

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Barry grandpapy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:04 pm

.
Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LesPaul1995

Bronze
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby LesPaul1995 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:21 pm

archer grandpapy360 wrote:Only pulled 355, so no PR today.

In other news, the next time you guys make a protein shake I suggest adding blackberries and strawberries. This shit is bomb.


355 is my warmup bro. Hitting a PR today = Delayed onset muscle soreness 2 days later morning of the lsat. Oh well.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:30 pm

So reviewing PT 76 this evening.

Can we all agree that LR1 Q20 is absolute bullshit? The only explanation I can come up with for justifying TCR is that I would have to make the assumption that intellectual appeal is a factor in *every* *single* *student* *ever*'s decision to stay in a major. I don't think that's true - I think tons of students (especially in undergrad) go into majors because their parents pressure them or some other reason, and simply stick with a major because they feel like they have to.

I can see why A is wrong as well as C and D, but I think B is just as arguable as E on this one. Significant decline in # of undergrad degrees in natural sciences as a whole could easily help explain a significant decline in the number of chemistry degrees. And there I don't have to make some assumption about whether or not people switch majors because of intellectual appeal (it certainly wasn't a factor in my staying/choosing engineering).

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:46 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:So reviewing PT 76 this evening.

Can we all agree that LR1 Q20 is absolute bullshit? The only explanation I can come up with for justifying TCR is that I would have to make the assumption that intellectual appeal is a factor in *every* *single* *student* *ever*'s decision to stay in a major. I don't think that's true - I think tons of students (especially in undergrad) go into majors because their parents pressure them or some other reason, and simply stick with a major because they feel like they have to.

I can see why A is wrong as well as C and D, but I think B is just as arguable as E on this one. Significant decline in # of undergrad degrees in natural sciences as a whole could easily help explain a significant decline in the number of chemistry degrees. And there I don't have to make some assumption about whether or not people switch majors because of intellectual appeal (it certainly wasn't a factor in my staying/choosing engineering).


I haven't done 76 but I feel your pain. Sometimes the test isn't perfect, and it's super frustrating when on one question they require you to make a little bit of a leap but then on the very next question that same leap can be the reason it's wrong. There are unfortunately quite a bit of bad question + AC combos.

greenmusic97

New
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby greenmusic97 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Guys.... I have a problem. Idk how bad this is, but here it goes.... Please help. I'm freaking out. Ok, so when I registered for an LSAC account, I accidently made the second letter in my last name (an "I") capital when it really isn't. I've checked my account multiple times before this and didn't notice it until I printed it out my ticket. It's too late to change it before the test because the deadline was friday, but it's not really a big deal for getting in and taking the test since my name on my ID (driver's license) is in all CAPS letters and I mean, it's all spelled right and everything. It matches the criteria for it being exact. The thing is, if I changed it after to lowercase by sending the form in, would that hurt me in any way with them knowing I got in with an accidently capital "I"? It's so hard to see and anyone can miss that there's no dot. I'm really beating myself up about it. What do you guys think? Would it be a problem if I sent in the form to change my name after my score came in? I don't think they'd care, since anyone can change their name at any point. I'm just nervous it would create the impression of impropiety. Idk. I'm panicking.

User avatar
zkyggi

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby zkyggi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:So reviewing PT 76 this evening.

Can we all agree that LR1 Q20 is absolute bullshit? The only explanation I can come up with for justifying TCR is that I would have to make the assumption that intellectual appeal is a factor in *every* *single* *student* *ever*'s decision to stay in a major. I don't think that's true - I think tons of students (especially in undergrad) go into majors because their parents pressure them or some other reason, and simply stick with a major because they feel like they have to.

I can see why A is wrong as well as C and D, but I think B is just as arguable as E on this one. Significant decline in # of undergrad degrees in natural sciences as a whole could easily help explain a significant decline in the number of chemistry degrees. And there I don't have to make some assumption about whether or not people switch majors because of intellectual appeal (it certainly wasn't a factor in my staying/choosing engineering).


[+] Spoiler
I don't have it in front of me, but from what I remember, E is incorrect because it doesn't connect to chemistry in the way they B does. E discusses the university as a whole, which logically could exclude chemistry students.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Jack_Kelly » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Random question: Has anyone ever heard of someone being the only person taking the LSAT?
I'm going to be at a small, rural, southern liberal arts school during the summer. Can't imagine more than a few people signed up.

User avatar
Experiment626

Silver
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Experiment626 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:23 pm

greenmusic97 wrote:Guys.... I have a problem. Idk how bad this is, but here it goes.... Please help. I'm freaking out. Ok, so when I registered for an LSAC account, I accidently made the second letter in my last name (an "I") capital when it really isn't. I've checked my account multiple times before this and didn't notice it until I printed it out my ticket. It's too late to change it before the test because the deadline was friday, but it's not really a big deal for getting in and taking the test since my name on my ID (driver's license) is in all CAPS letters and I mean, it's all spelled right and everything. It matches the criteria for it being exact. The thing is, if I changed it after to lowercase by sending the form in, would that hurt me in any way with them knowing I got in with an accidently capital "I"? It's so hard to see and anyone can miss that there's no dot. I'm really beating myself up about it. What do you guys think? Would it be a problem if I sent in the form to change my name after my score came in? I don't think they'd care, since anyone can change their name at any point. I'm just nervous it would create the impression of impropiety. Idk. I'm panicking.


I honestly don't know what would happen but odds be in your favor for it working out.

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby heyduchess » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:23 pm

*goes to take last PrepTest she has*

*opens test*

*realizes she already took it*

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:Random question: Has anyone ever heard of someone being the only person taking the LSAT?
I'm going to be at a small, rural, southern liberal arts school during the summer. Can't imagine more than a few people signed up.


Never heard of it, but much like in the LSAT, lack of evidence does not necessarily disprove the theory. I'm sure it's possible. I'm trying to figure out if I would like being the only one taking it, it might be kind of awkward.

User avatar
Experiment626

Silver
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Experiment626 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:Random question: Has anyone ever heard of someone being the only person taking the LSAT?
I'm going to be at a small, rural, southern liberal arts school during the summer. Can't imagine more than a few people signed up.


People with Reasonable Accommodations might be the only one in a room if there aren't multiple with the exact same accommodation request.

User avatar
HenryHankPalmer

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Did PT79 today

LR1: -3
LR2: -2
LG: -2
RC: -3

91 raw, 171 scaled.

On review, I was pissed about missing 3 on LR1. The back end of it felt brutally hard when I was taking it, but I think my head just wasn't in it, because I made preventable mistakes. LG went well, although now I see what the fuss around the Virus game is. I plan spending tonight doing more review, and a couple timed LR sections. The hay is pretty much in the barn at this point, but I just want to keep my head in LSAT mode. I want Dallas Biglaw, so I'm aiming for UT and SMU with $$$. Probably gonna head to church tomorrow for the first time in months to pray for that 170.

User avatar
HenryHankPalmer

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:36 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Random question: Has anyone ever heard of someone being the only person taking the LSAT?
I'm going to be at a small, rural, southern liberal arts school during the summer. Can't imagine more than a few people signed up.


Never heard of it, but much like in the LSAT, lack of evidence does not necessarily disprove the theory. I'm sure it's possible. I'm trying to figure out if I would like being the only one taking it, it might be kind of awkward.


Just anecdotally, I was the only one in my Testmasters class who ever went to the Saturday diagnostics, and I found being alone with the proctor just made it a little more uncomfortable for whatever reason. I'm not an antisocial person, but the idea of someone sitting in a room, looking at me in silence really made me tense. I would rather have a small group of clean, non-mouth breathing compatriots to suffer through this with.

greenmusic97

New
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby greenmusic97 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:41 pm

vtdelt wrote:
greenmusic97 wrote:Guys.... I have a problem. Idk how bad this is, but here it goes.... Please help. I'm freaking out. Ok, so when I registered for an LSAC account, I accidently made the second letter in my last name (an "I") capital when it really isn't. I've checked my account multiple times before this and didn't notice it until I printed it out my ticket. It's too late to change it before the test because the deadline was friday, but it's not really a big deal for getting in and taking the test since my name on my ID (driver's license) is in all CAPS letters and I mean, it's all spelled right and everything. It matches the criteria for it being exact. The thing is, if I changed it after to lowercase by sending the form in, would that hurt me in any way with them knowing I got in with an accidently capital "I"? It's so hard to see and anyone can miss that there's no dot. I'm really beating myself up about it. What do you guys think? Would it be a problem if I sent in the form to change my name after my score came in? I don't think they'd care, since anyone can change their name at any point. I'm just nervous it would create the impression of impropiety. Idk. I'm panicking.


I honestly don't know what would happen but odds be in your favor for it working out.



I know; I guess it's just freaking me out because I already have the LSAT on my plate and this comes along, and ugh.

User avatar
tuna_wasabi

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby tuna_wasabi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:41 pm

I wish we will have the curve of PT 23

User avatar
Experiment626

Silver
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Experiment626 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:51 pm

lynn.wibi wrote:I wish we will have the curve of PT 23


But without the mindfuck that probably happened to test takers...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:57 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:You guys think we'll see another harsh curve? -10?

I really don't think so. The trend has been towards having one or both of hard LG/RC with average LR. I don't think they could possibly justify a -10 if this holds. I'm feeling -12 on Monday.


I wouldn't be surprised if we see a "harder" test with a -12 or -13 point curve. Last couple tests (barring February, of course), have been -10/-11 curves.


For some reason I feel like RC is going to be insane. Like pin factory insane. LG will be three easy games and one weirdo. LR will be standard.

I'd be good with this.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm calling -11. Something similar to PT80.

NavyNuke

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby NavyNuke » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:08 pm

.
Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:25 pm

zkyggi wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:So reviewing PT 76 this evening.

Can we all agree that LR1 Q20 is absolute bullshit? The only explanation I can come up with for justifying TCR is that I would have to make the assumption that intellectual appeal is a factor in *every* *single* *student* *ever*'s decision to stay in a major. I don't think that's true - I think tons of students (especially in undergrad) go into majors because their parents pressure them or some other reason, and simply stick with a major because they feel like they have to.

I can see why A is wrong as well as C and D, but I think B is just as arguable as E on this one. Significant decline in # of undergrad degrees in natural sciences as a whole could easily help explain a significant decline in the number of chemistry degrees. And there I don't have to make some assumption about whether or not people switch majors because of intellectual appeal (it certainly wasn't a factor in my staying/choosing engineering).


[+] Spoiler
I don't have it in front of me, but from what I remember, E is incorrect because it doesn't connect to chemistry in the way they B does. E discusses the university as a whole, which logically could exclude chemistry students.


[+] Spoiler
But yeah, that's the point TCR could also logically exclude chemistry students. Nowhere in the stim or ACs does it ever state (or imply) that intellectual appeal is a factor in determining whether you stay in a major/transfer to a different one. Thus, in order for it to pass the 'logically could exclude chemistry students' test, you'd have to make that assumption, which is like rule #1 for LR - don't make assumptions past what is stated *unless* it is 100% something that everybody in the world in every situation would agree with.

I know that's the rationale for why the correct answer is correct - it being that you could logically exclude chemistry students from the other AC, but the question is asking which could help explain the discrepancy, and I feel that in this case both could and both could also logically exclude chemistry. Honestly I think it's just a bad question, but I don't get to make the rules. I just get to be frustrated when I disagree.

Rant over. It's not a big deal, just seems like a rough question when 99.9% of these things make sense.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:36 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I'm calling -11. Something similar to PT80.


I've noticed some of the more recent tests have "split" curves where either a -10 or a -11 earns a 170 (as is the case with PT80). I really hope we don't get that bullshit. It's frustrating as hell to see that an extra point wouldn't have changed anything.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:40 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:I feel ok about monday, I'm guessing I'll be between 172-174, was really hoping for 175+ but that shit is hard.


Same here, I guessing i'll get a 173/174 depending on the curve, so probably between a -6 and a -9

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Damn the building game is actually super easy, just realized that upon review!

My playlist to the test center as promised:

1. Champions-Kanye West
2. Victorious-Panic at the Disco
3. Reapers-Muse
4. Power-Kanye West
5. Letterbomb-Greenday
6. Rock You Like a Hurricane-Scorpions+Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
7. Bulls on Parade-Rage Against the Machine
8. Psycho-Muse
9. Prelude/Survival-Muse This is such an amazing pre-LSAT song I'll drop the link here: https://youtu.be/O8T70SUwpk0

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:32 am

Platopus wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:I feel ok about monday, I'm guessing I'll be between 172-174, was really hoping for 175+ but that shit is hard.


Same here, I guessing i'll get a 173/174 depending on the curve, so probably between a -6 and a -9


So you feel confident you'll hit your pt average? Mine is the same as you (173) and I feel like I'll come in a point or two lower. I've had a bad week; my PTs were 171, 170 and 171 again.

BTW, at what point would you consider someone with a 4.0 140 humblebrag a reverse splitter? 170? 172?



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests