The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby tuna_wasabi » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:42 am

vtdelt wrote:
Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
dm1683 wrote:What are all of our pt averages and ranges? This board has to be just killing it!

Average: 173
Range: 168-179
#: 20

For my last 20:

Average: 178
Range: 173 - 180.

Also, since there seem to be a good number of DC people in this thread, it may be a fun idea to explore the idea a post-test bar meetup.

I'm either taking a bottle of wine on in my living room or going somewhere on 17th St to ensure I'm in stumbling distance from my condo.

Based in DC but taking the test in Richmond. Def up for post LSAT celebration

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:42 am

jsr739 wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
jsr739 wrote:Heyyo, new person here hoping to get some advice.

I learned LG then took my first diagnostic for a 146. Since then I've raised that to a 169 average while studying full time over the past 5 weeks. I'm taking the administration on Monday and need to return to my full time job after that (about 70-80 hrs/week), but I really need my score to be 174+ before I apply.

Two weeks ago, I was scoring above 170 and made it up to 175. Since then, I've just dropped off and am scoring terribly. Idk what happened. You can see a screenshot of my stats here: http://imgur.com/a/dz5OX

I thought it might be burnout and took my second day off in five weeks yesterday. Nonetheless, I still scored a 167 today.

What do you guys think? Have you seen this pattern before or know what might be going wrong? How realistic is it that I can get up to 174+ by September? What do I need to do to get there?

Much appreciated.

First, congrats on the huge gains so far. Have you been taking all the PTs in roughly the same environment? And have they been in test day-type conditions? If so, then I think you should go into Monday's test with an optimistic attitude and a huge amount of confidence. In terms of getting up to 174 by Sept. (or maybe you'll nail it Monday!), I would take a look at all the tests you've done so far and ID trends by section. Focus in on shoring up the fundamentals on your weakest areas and drilling all areas. You have more to gain through targeted practice than by just taking a glut of PTs between now and then. Is it possible to get there? Absolutely, but each point gained above 170 gets harder and harder, and smart practice will be key. Good luck Monday!

Thanks! Yes, I've been alternating between testing in my apartment, the public library, and outside (with sirens and whatnot). I always take 5 section, timed tests, and often take less than the 15-minute break to train against mental fatigue. What you think is the best method to drill specific areas? I have the "10 Actuals" books that I've been using for testing and drilling by section, but I don't have a method for drilling by question type, if that's even a good idea.

Proud of my gains so far but frustrated at the downward turn. Will def be doing more targeted practice this summer then unless that miracle we're all hoping for comes through on Monday.

I used a list of questions by type that I think I got from 7sage. I had been putting all my PT results in 7sage, and used its analytics tool to figure out where my weaknesses are. Than I just used questions from old PTs to practice. I know others use Cambridge, Powerscore, and/or Manhattan to drill by type. Any of those will also give you some good strategies for how to approach each question type.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:21 am

heyduchess wrote:Whoever said "Read the RC questions 1st" earlier...

TYSM. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE. IT FELT LIKE I WAS CHEATING THE ENTIRE RC. HOW HAD I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS? YOU ARE AN ANGEL. A BOTTLENOSE DOLPHIN ANGEL.

This makes me want to try it, but at the same time we're 3 days from D-Day, and I'm consistently in the 172+ range, so I don't think switching things up is a good look...

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:27 am

Also here's my recent stats (since I missed that a couple pages back):

Range: 166-176 (166 is the only sub-170 score and only once. I'm considering it an outlier)
Average: 171.9
Median: 172
# of tests: 14

Removing the outlier, I'd be at
Average: 172.3
Median: 173

I feel pretty good. Average misses per test is 8. I think I've got all the concepts nailed down, it's just going to come down to putting it all together on test day. Pretty much every PT has been after an 8 hour work day, so I'm hoping being fresh on test day will put me in a little better mental state.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:41 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Pretty much every PT has been after an 8 hour work day, so I'm hoping being fresh on test day will put me in a little better mental state.

Same here, hoping this translates to a point or two on test day.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:50 am

Platopus wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Pretty much every PT has been after an 8 hour work day, so I'm hoping being fresh on test day will put me in a little better mental state.

I also think being in an actual testing environment as opposed to my dining room table, coffee shop with loud music/people will help. And not having a phone or laptop nearby, or a fridge/pantry when I feel like having a snack. I think I sneak a point or two just from being in the official setting.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am

I kind of regret not going to work today. I'm nervous! Ahha

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Whoever said "Read the RC questions 1st" earlier...

TYSM. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE. IT FELT LIKE I WAS CHEATING THE ENTIRE RC. HOW HAD I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS? YOU ARE AN ANGEL. A BOTTLENOSE DOLPHIN ANGEL.

This makes me want to try it, but at the same time we're 3 days from D-Day, and I'm consistently in the 172+ range, so I don't think switching things up is a good look...

I've been playing with techniques all this week and being okay when things are worse and okay when things are better. Like, ? first on LR hurt me Tuesday, but ? first on RC helped last night. The bad day of LR isn't indicative of my usual test-taking. It's indicative of how well a new strategy works for me.

I found that it was nice knowing which paragraphs to pay attention to and which quotes or facts to look for. I ended up answering half of the questions on the first three passages before I even finished reading. (And got them right.)

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:29 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Platopus wrote:

I also think being in an actual testing environment as opposed to my dining room table, coffee shop with loud music/people will help. And not having a phone or laptop nearby, or a fridge/pantry when I feel like having a snack. I think I sneak a point or two just from being in the official setting.

Yup. Every test has been after an 8 hour work day and with my neighbor's dog barking incessantly. And my roommate loudly making meals that involve a food processor. Or the time she decided to make Ikea furniture. I'm honestly wondering if the silence will mess me up haha.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:34 pm

lynn.wibi wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
dm1683 wrote:What are all of our pt averages and ranges? This board has to be just killing it!

Average: 173
Range: 168-179
#: 20

For my last 20:

Average: 178
Range: 173 - 180.

Also, since there seem to be a good number of DC people in this thread, it may be a fun idea to explore the idea a post-test bar meetup.

I'm either taking a bottle of wine on in my living room or going somewhere on 17th St to ensure I'm in stumbling distance from my condo.

Based in DC but taking the test in Richmond. Def up for post LSAT celebration

If it was a 9AM test I would say I hope you're getting a hotel the night before. I had a friend who drove down the Richmond the morning of and took it on like 4 hours of sleep. :shock:

Either way, good luck getting down there and with your test!

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Chances we see a weird game on test day? I'm gonna go in expecting it and tell myself to keep calm, don't freak out. I'm also doing it last for sure, just in case it's a time sink.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:47 pm

dm1683 wrote:Chances we see a weird game on test day? I'm gonna go in expecting it and tell myself to keep calm, don't freak out. I'm also doing it last for sure, just in case it's a time sink.

I think doing it last is key, if I see a weird one I'm skipping it.

I'm hoping we get a hard but conventional games section

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:47 pm

[
Last edited by dj9i27 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Last prep test PT 76, cause I wanted to save an easy one for last:

RC: -3
LR: -2
LG: -0, proud of this one because I fucked up a rule and caught it in the third game
LR: -1
LG extra: -0

Scaled to 176.

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:29 pm

88234 wrote:Last prep test PT 76, cause I wanted to save an easy one for last:

LG: -0, proud of this one because I fucked up a rule and caught it in the third game

Scaled to 176.

Congrats! I need that confidence boost tomorrow on 80. I hear it's easier than 79 which I got 170 on (-5 on both rc and lg :x ). I've concluded that I won't be satisfied with 170 on Monday because 4.0/170 still ends up racking up 200k debt at CCN.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:30 pm

dm1683 wrote:Chances we see a weird game on test day? I'm gonna go in expecting it and tell myself to keep calm, don't freak out. I'm also doing it last for sure, just in case it's a time sink.

I'm expecting a pattern game. We had hard/weird pattern-ish games recently with Virus/WXYZ/JMLK, but an easy weird in December. Didn't hear anything crazy from Feb, so I think safe to assume there wasn't one there. Thus, I expect a hard weird after a two test break from hard weird

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:32 pm

dm1683 wrote:

Scaled to 176.

Congrats! I need that confidence boost tomorrow on 80. I hear it's easier than 79 which I got 170 on (-5 on both rc and lg :x ). I've concluded that I won't be satisfied with 170 on Monday because 4.0/170 still ends up racking up 200k debt at CCN.

I got 171s on both 79 and 80. Hope you get your boost!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:44 pm

Anyone else not gotten their admission ticket yet? I thought LSAC emailed those out like a week in advance.

I keep getting the good luck emails from TTTs, but no ticket yet.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Anyone else not gotten their admission ticket yet? I thought LSAC emailed those out like a week in advance.

I keep getting the good luck emails from TTTs, but no ticket yet.

You should be able to login to LSAC to get it.

Amerision

Bronze

Postby Amerision » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:53 pm

dm1683 wrote:

Scaled to 176.

Ugh, don't tell me that. I'm going to be very happy if I get a 170 and have a 4.0, but you just reminded me that that's not even that high of a score :'(
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:10 pm

I'm expecting a pattern game. We had hard/weird pattern-ish games recently with Virus/WXYZ/JMLK, but an easy weird in December. Didn't hear anything crazy from Feb, so I think safe to assume there wasn't one there. Thus, I expect a hard weird after a two test break from hard weird

I agree with your hunch. I guess I'm redoing pattern games from 1-40 when I get home.

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:13 pm

Amerision wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

Scaled to 176.

Ugh, don't tell me that. I'm going to be very happy if I get a 170 and have a 4.0, but you just reminded me that that's not even that high of a score :'(

I know :( I mean I guess 4/170 gets good money/full rides at lower t13s like duke and mich and nu but I want the job security of a CCN degree because I predict another recession soon.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:21 pm

I could see us getting a game that appears to be "weird" on the surface, but which is in reality pretty easy if you can work through all the bullshit and think outside of the box. I'm thinking something like game 4 of PT 77. I almost would prefer this vs. a "standard" section because it seems like whenever they do this the other 3 games are easier than usual.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

I could see us getting a game that appears to be "weird" on the surface, but which is in reality pretty easy if you can work through all the bullshit and think outside of the box. I'm thinking something like game 4 of PT 77. I almost would prefer this vs. a "standard" section because it seems like whenever they do this the other 3 games are easier than usual.

The key to all weird games is managing the shock at the beginning. Typically, the weirder the game appears, the easier it is. I was lucky enough to encounter viruses and buildings on test days, and from what I saw, the better you can control that initial freak-out impulse, the better you fare on the games. No use stressing out about them. Mastery of standard games gives you the time to tackle the weird ones, and keeping your cool will help you methodically work through them.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Pozzo wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

The key to all weird games is managing the shock at the beginning. Typically, the weirder the game appears, the easier it is. I was lucky enough to encounter viruses and buildings on test days, and from what I saw, the better you can control that initial freak-out impulse, the better you fare on the games. No use stressing out about them. Mastery of standard games gives you the time to tackle the weird ones, and keeping your cool will help you methodically work through them.

I agree with this sentiment for the most part, but I also saw Virus and buildings 'live' and had a very different experience with each of them. I found virus to be quite difficult live, and I still had a little trouble with it just recently when I retook it. Buildings I found to be mind-numbingly easy. So easy in fact that I was concerned I did it wrong because of how simple it was

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?