The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
11
28%
F#$k YES!!!
6
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
22
56%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby heyduchess » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Walliums wrote:What are you guys doing to prevent burnout this week? Today I did some drills in the morning and then went to work. Later in the morning I took a 35 min section of four really hard reading comp questions and did awesome (-1 on 29 questions ya boii) and then I did more work/meetings. Towards the end of the work day I did two LR sections and didn't do very good (-4 on both). Feel really defeated but I also felt afterwards like I was just wiped out from the day. Ugh

Maybe I will do some logic games tonight because I actually enjoy those.


I'm taking a test today, Thursday, Friday.

Last night, I made a really complicated dinner that involved a lot of chopping. (So soothing.) Then, I did 2 LR's.

Tomorrow night, I'm going rock climbing with my friends like I always do on Wednesdays and then I'm doing 2 RC's.

Chillin' like an LSAT villain this weekend, though.

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby heyduchess » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Do y'all know if we need to print our ticket in color? Or is B&W chill?

On a somewhat related note: My LSAT registration selfie (that I took in the bathroom at work) is by far the best picture I've ever taken of myself. So, even if this test destroys me, at least it has given me this picture. God bless.

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1907
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Pozzo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:43 pm

zkyggi wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:Took PT 78 today
LR1: -1
LR2: -2
LG: -3
RC: -3

92 raw, 171 scaled.

Trying to clean up LG before next Monday, and I'm praying it comes first on the test. Has anyone actually practiced the writing sample? It seems pretty straightforward, but I have atrocious penmanship, which I am a little worried about.

Don't practice the writing sample. If you want to read a couple of the prompts so it's not totally unfamiliar, that's fine. But it's a freebie at the end; just write something coherent and you'll be find.


This, unless you're applying to Yale.


Nah, even if you're applying to Yale. Obviously, you don't want to blow it off no matter where you apply. Adcomms do occasionally glance at them, and you don't want to write, "Eat my shorts" over and over. But it's just not a good use of prep time if there are other things you could be practicing instead. Getting a general understanding of how the writing sample works and what you should try to accomplish in the limited time/space is a fine idea. But it's not going to make or break any application, even Yale.

User avatar
zkyggi

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby zkyggi » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Pozzo wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:Took PT 78 today
LR1: -1
LR2: -2
LG: -3
RC: -3

92 raw, 171 scaled.

Trying to clean up LG before next Monday, and I'm praying it comes first on the test. Has anyone actually practiced the writing sample? It seems pretty straightforward, but I have atrocious penmanship, which I am a little worried about.

Don't practice the writing sample. If you want to read a couple of the prompts so it's not totally unfamiliar, that's fine. But it's a freebie at the end; just write something coherent and you'll be find.


This, unless you're applying to Yale.


Nah, even if you're applying to Yale. Obviously, you don't want to blow it off no matter where you apply. Adcomms do occasionally glance at them, and you don't want to write, "Eat my shorts" over and over. But it's just not a good use of prep time if there are other things you could be practicing instead. Getting a general understanding of how the writing sample works and what you should try to accomplish in the limited time/space is a fine idea. But it's not going to make or break any application, even Yale.


The Dean of Admissions said some of the application graders use the writing sample as their most heavily weighted criterion. Also, they use it to see how it differs from your personal statement to consider whether or not you wrote it yourself. While it may not be the most important part of the LSAT, if somebody is targeting Yale, they should at least do a few during their prep.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zkyggi

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby zkyggi » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:With no work the rest of the way before the LSAT, I am doing a full simulated game day tomorrow. Same sleep, eating, warm-up etc. that I will be doing on test day. I'm doing it with PT78. Anyone doing anything similar leading up to Monday?



I'm taking a PT today, taking tomorrow off, then doing a PT each day until the test. All of them starting between 12:45 and 1:30 with fluid/food intake cut off at 12:30.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:30 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:The only answer for writing prompt is hand turkey


Slightly on/off-topic, but during the digital test, you know how they had tutorials before each section? Some people in my room spent the whole 5 minutes of the writing section tutorial typing stuff. Like wtf are you even typing? What are you doing?


I was trying to break the system. As in I was trying to see if they had locked down the hardware in such a way that I couldn't send signals to the OS to break me out of the LSAT program

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Jack_Kelly » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Spent the last few days just doing games in an attempt to make that less disastrous. Seems to have worked, as I finally broke 170

PT 71
LR1: -3
AR: -4
LR2: -3
RC: -3

171

User avatar
it's allgood

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby it's allgood » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:PT 79 S1 Q 22 is probably one of the harder LR questions I've done in a long time. I still can't figure out why A is wrong and E is right even after looking at the Manhattan forums and spending significant time with the question. This PT's LR was strange in that both sections felt really unbalanced. The questions were either super, super easy while a few were brutally hard.


I think, it may help that the question asks "which one of the following most accurately"

B, C, D are all obvious "no"

So it is between A & E and the question becomes:

In sentence 2, is the consumer advocate disputing the economists' explanation or denying their claim?

Sentence 2 denies the claim made in Sentence 1, but there is not a dispute in Sentence 2--it is only a claim/statement BUT the statement happens to deny what was stated in Sentence 1. It may help to just look at Sentence 2 when answering this question.

So E is the best choice.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Friendly reminder that 73 years ago today was the real D-Day. I know we keep calling next Monday D-Day, so I think it's pretty interesting they're so close together.

Props to the brave people who gave everything to stop the Reich from committing more atrocities on the world.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Took C2 just now. Took it at my undergrad again, same circumstances as 79

LG -0 LR1 -0 EXP LR (PT 60 S3) -0 LR2 -3 RC -1

Scaled 176! New high and my 4th 170+ in a row.

The first LG was actually the hardest for me, it took me almost 10 minutes which caused me to start panicking, but 2 and 3 I ran through very quickly and 4 wasn't too bad either. Ended up with 3 minutes to spare which is rare for me. LR1 and Experimental I felt extremely confident on, but I lost my train of though a bit in LR2 and struggled with some questions that I shouldn't have had trouble with. RC the first passage was the hardest for me, but my one miss was on a pretty brutal question from the last passage which 7sage has the majority of people missing. Still, I found the last passage super easy even though it was complex, I've read a great bit of Sowell and am familiar with his concept of cosmic justice.

Now I've heard C2 is on the easier end, but I'm still stoked about scoring this high a week out!

User avatar
Walliums

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Walliums » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:47 pm

Alright, I have one PT left because I am saving C2 and 71 in case I have to retake...

Tonight I was going to do some full RC and LR sections. Outside of the 70s, what do you think were some of the hardest RC and LR sections you came across?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Walliums wrote:Alright, I have one PT left because I am saving C2 and 71 in case I have to retake...

Tonight I was going to do some full RC and LR sections. Outside of the 70s, what do you think were some of the hardest RC and LR sections you came across?


I remember PT 68 having some tough RC, I went -8 but that was about a month ago before I got consistent in that section. LR all seems the same to me so I can't really give you anything there. But I do remember a few sections from the 30s being tough just because they relied a lot on formal logic and convoluted conditional chains, but they don't really resemble current LR so IDK how useful those would be this late.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:49 pm


User avatar
AlPastor

Bronze
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby AlPastor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:00 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Stuff like this hurts my soul

https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... ith_a_148/


:shock:

User avatar
88234

Bronze
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby 88234 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 pm

PT 78:

LR: -0
Practice section LR: -1
LG: -0
LR: -3 (dumb mistake on the second question. Should have been -2)
RC: -3 (stupid clay tablets)


174

User avatar
Saylor1720

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Saylor1720 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:59 pm

PT78
LR1: -5
LG: -0
LR2: -1
RC: -8 :(
168

I got crushed by the RC.. I average -3/4. The crazy part is it wasn't even clay tablets directly. The 2nd passage killed me, then I took way too long on clay tablets leaving me to rush on the last passage. Bit of a mess but I'm not freaking out. 168 is my goal score, and I know there's test day drops, but I'm a retaker and proctor my tests strictly. So I'm not too concerned. PT80 on Friday.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:16 pm

So I'm a little concerned. Thought I had SuperPrep2, turns out I only have SuperPrep1. Was planning on taking 76/C2 tomorrow and the other on Friday (those are the only 2 fresh left from 60 onwards). Should I just take 79 instead tomorrow (I sat for 79 when it was administered, aka my cold diagnostic) and then use 76 on Friday?

Any thoughts? I haven't reviewed 79 since taking it last year, so I don't think I remember anything other than that it has Eileen Gray and virus game.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:19 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:So I'm a little concerned. Thought I had SuperPrep2, turns out I only have SuperPrep1. Was planning on taking 76/C2 tomorrow and the other on Friday (those are the only 2 fresh left from 60 onwards). Should I just take 79 instead tomorrow (I sat for 79 when it was administered, aka my cold diagnostic) and then use 76 on Friday?

Any thoughts? I haven't reviewed 79 since taking it last year, so I don't think I remember anything other than that it has Eileen Gray and virus game.


Yeah, take 79 again. At this point, it's really not about "learning", per se. The confidence from a high score on a test you've already taken is actually probably a good thing. Worrying about staying sharp and putting yourself in a good state of mind for the test on Monday.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:22 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:Took PT 78 today
LR1: -1
LR2: -2
LG: -3
RC: -3

92 raw, 171 scaled.

Trying to clean up LG before next Monday, and I'm praying it comes first on the test. Has anyone actually practiced the writing sample? It seems pretty straightforward, but I have atrocious penmanship, which I am a little worried about.


viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151124&start=50

Dude got into Harvard and Stanford, and drew a picture on his writing sample

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Platopus wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:Took PT 78 today
LR1: -1
LR2: -2
LG: -3
RC: -3

92 raw, 171 scaled.

Trying to clean up LG before next Monday, and I'm praying it comes first on the test. Has anyone actually practiced the writing sample? It seems pretty straightforward, but I have atrocious penmanship, which I am a little worried about.


viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151124&start=50

Dude got into Harvard and Stanford, and drew a picture on his writing sample


Pretty good drawing tbh. Can only assume it was his application and not the picture that kept him out of H and Y

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:42 pm

Platopus wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:So I'm a little concerned. Thought I had SuperPrep2, turns out I only have SuperPrep1. Was planning on taking 76/C2 tomorrow and the other on Friday (those are the only 2 fresh left from 60 onwards). Should I just take 79 instead tomorrow (I sat for 79 when it was administered, aka my cold diagnostic) and then use 76 on Friday?

Any thoughts? I haven't reviewed 79 since taking it last year, so I don't think I remember anything other than that it has Eileen Gray and virus game.


Yeah, take 79 again. At this point, it's really not about "learning", per se. The confidence from a high score on a test you've already taken is actually probably a good thing. Worrying about staying sharp and putting yourself in a good state of mind for the test on Monday.


Sounds solid to me. Think I should do 79 or 76 tomorrow? Part of me wants a fresh test on Friday, but the other part wants a high score on Friday, and I think I'll probably score higher on 79 simply out of familiarity (even though i don't actually remember anything from it)

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Took PT 76 today. Taken it before, but I didn't remember anything really.

RC -3
LR1 -1
LG -2 (forgot a rule in G3 and almost didnt get through the game. Missed an easy/ dumb Q early.)
LR2 -1

175. previous take or not I feel wayyyy better with this score. I've changed up my approach and I try to get the first 17 LR Qs done in 15. By speeding up I've actually been able to cut down on some dumb mistakes, since I don't over think as much.

Taking 79 tomorrow night. Kinda excited actually it's my last blind test.

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby heyduchess » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:59 am

Today, I took 79 and got the worst score I've gotten since February. I was fine on LG. Like totally fine.

And then just bombed everything else. Even now, looking at the answers, I see how they coulllld be right, but my answer feels better?

GAH BRB WHILE I CRY IN MY SHOWER LIKE TOBIAS FROM ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT.

User avatar
Amerision

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:22 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Amerision » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:01 am

heyduchess wrote:Today, I took 79 and got the worst score I've gotten since February. I was fine on LG. Like totally fine.

And then just bombed everything else. Even now, looking at the answers, I see how they coulllld be right, but my answer feels better?

GAH BRB WHILE I CRY IN MY SHOWER LIKE TOBIAS FROM ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT.


Hey, you listen here. Tobias may cry in the shower but he was in the goddamn Blue Man Group. He did fine and so will you!
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Neil_Gorsuch

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:07 am

179 on PT 74. First test in a while with perfect for LR. Refining my methods there seem to have paid off. I know truly appreciate comments from some other test takers on how LR can be pretty analogous to LG.

Also, in my experience, reading the question before the stimulus is a bad, bad idea. The only possible exception is MP / Conclusion.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests